How dangerous is a typical street fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

White Belt
Reaction score
Outside on concrete.

Ive heard stories where guys have been hit once on the chin, fell down unconscious, banged their head on the concrete and died.

But then again I see fights nearly everytime I go out, so they cant be that dangerous.

Also when 2 guys face off one person doesnt want to kill the other person just beat him up, punish him etc.

What are the chances of dying in a 1 on 1 street fight?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very slim. The vast majority of monkey dance encounters don't result in any significant injury. Certainly nothing life threatening.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only escalate when the loosing side start using "tools" to up their chance.
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you folks miss the part of the question where he said "typical"? Believe me, I've seen more than a couple atypical injuries from fights, but that's not really what the questions was about...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timmy said:
Ive heard stories where guys have been hit once on the chin, fell down unconscious, banged their head on the concrete and died.

Yes it can happen. Ricky Brown died after a punch was thrown at his chin, went backwards and fell of the street kerb and went down smashing the back of his head on the tarmac.

Clicky

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Timmy.

The whole monkey dance idea is certainly true, more of a social chest puffing thing that sometimes ends in blows. But even those can end very badly. Then there's street crime, and there's all kinds of street crime. Sometimes it starts as a fight and turns into something else.

Fighting is never a good thing unless you're training, competing or getting paid for it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unarmed street fights don't tend to get dangerous until it goes to the ground. Most people don't get seriously injured standing up, they get seriously when someone is on top of them smashing their head into the concrete.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have had one guy get punched and killed in my area. Head hit a grate or something. It is pretty rare.

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its rare for a street fight to end in fatality. But the fact that it is rare does not mean that a street fight is not dangerous.

9 times out of 10 you could poke someone's pet rottweiler with a stick and it wouldn't turn and kill you, but that doesn't mean its not dangerous to taunt a rotty.

My rule of thumb is this: If someone wants to make me fight, I must assume they might kill me unless I prevent that from happening, so while I would not actively try to kill them, I would fight like my life depends on it. I don't want to face that no win situation (no win, because if you get killed you lose, if you kill the other, you lose because you're going to jail), so I'll do anything in my power to not have to fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Timmy.

The whole monkey dance idea is certainly true, more of a social chest puffing thing that sometimes ends in blows. But even those can end very badly. Then there's street crime, and there's all kinds of street crime. Sometimes it starts as a fight and turns into something else.

Fighting is never a good thing unless you're training, competing or getting paid for it.

Amen.

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
You may want to re-evaluate where you are going out.

Timmy has a point, in the UK at least. In the main drinking strips, you are pretty much guaranteed to see a fight on a friday or saturday night. Some towns are worse than others for it, but its been more or less the truth everywhere I've been, and I've lived and worked (and relaxed) in many parts of the country.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crikey, the OP banned after five posts. In Brighton we have West St. Only a street a few hundred meters in length heading towards the sea front. Most people in Brighton and Hove avoid it like the plague because it just attracts all the idiots, man I don't miss working the venues. The weird thing is that when you go into to Hove, the atmosphere changes dramatically. There is still potential for people kicking off, but in the main there is no real trouble and people can chill and drink. On West St there is usually two meat wagons and most of Sussex police from the City.

Mighty.Panda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the UK if you're backed into a corner by more than 1 person it's lose-lose. If they knock you down (which they almost certainly will if you're an average person) they'll kick you into a pulp which means death/vegetative state for rest of your life. If you are able to "win" given you're out numbered you'll have to be extremely brutal and will go to prison for it as a result... So yeah don't get cornered in the UK because you're life is essentially over from that point onwards because our justice system is a joke.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK if you're backed into a corner by more than 1 person it's lose-lose. If they knock you down (which they almost certainly will if you're an average person) they'll kick you into a pulp which means death/vegetative state for rest of your life. If you are able to "win" given you're out numbered you'll have to be extremely brutal and will go to prison for it as a result... So yeah don't get cornered in the UK because you're life is essentially over from that point onwards because our justice system is a joke.

Added to that to that is those dreaded milk teeth coppers. I actually had to assist one putting on hand cuffs. No doubt there would be someone pedantic enough to point out that I am not licensed and trained to apply. Well, as no one from outside of the UK would know, but that is why we have the Criminal Protection Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions