Grisly islamist attack in Britain...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seeing you obviously know more about Australia's problem than I do, feel free to enlighten me. :asian:

That's not really fair, but I'll bite. I would say Australia, and other countries, probably should not let people into their country who aren't a good fit with the population. If people don't want to follow the house rules, see them to the door.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't that what most of us have been saying all along, Maka? A country is essentially our 'house' writ large. Why would we invite people in who don't like us and want to change the decor and move the furniture around to suit them?

The bigger mystery is why they want to come in the first place? Is it purely economic or do they think they can get away with more in a 'silly', tolerant, Western country than they can in their own? All they have to do is cry "Racism!" or "Religious intolerance" and they reckon they can pretty much do what they wish? Maybe they have forgotten about Henry VIII? As a nation we are quite willing to live and let live (with some rubbing around the sharp edges) but play us for fools too many times and things can get serious pretty fast (as happened for the Catholic church when they plotted treason with the Spanish).

We've (the ordinary people) had enough of 'it' - the general feeling of "play by our rules or go away" is growing apace and we are in real danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater when such incidents happen as the one this thread is about.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Isn't that what most of us have been saying all along, Maka? A country is essentially our 'house' writ large. Why would we invite people in who don't like us and want to change the decor and move the furniture around to suit them?

The bigger mystery is why they want to come in the first place? Is it purely economic or do they think they can get away with more in a 'silly', tolerant, Western country than they can in their own? All they have to do is cry "Racism!" or "Religious intolerance" and they reckon they can pretty much do what they wish? Maybe they have forgotten about Henry VIII? As a nation we are quite willing to live and let live (with some rubbing around the sharp edges) but play us for fools too many times and things can get serious pretty fast (as happened for the Catholic church when they plotted treason with the Spanish).

We've (the ordinary people) had enough of 'it' - the general feeling of "play by our rules or go away" is growing apace and we are in real danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater when such incidents happen as the one this thread is about.

We've been talking about a variety of issues surrounding this topic, but perhaps this is something upon which we have found some common ground.

I have some experience with immigration and I find it interesting how strictly people from civilized countries are regulated so strictly. Meanwhile traumatized people from war zones, with very little education, and cultures very different from the surrounding are allowed to enter and live. It's more than the PC elements running amok, IMHO.

It seems like a great way to introduce people to the "other" in order to justify foreign policy decisions.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe most of Australia's illegal immigrants are British and Americans or are you just referring to asylum seekers?

I think you'll find a lot of Muslims are not practicing Muslims the same as some Christians and Catholics. (and non practicing atheists)

via Nexus 7 w/Tapatalk - please ignore predictive text spelling errors

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not really fair, but I'll bite. I would say Australia, and other countries, probably should not let people into their country who aren't a good fit with the population. If people don't want to follow the house rules, see them to the door.
OK, I will apologise for being blunt but we have a problem that is unique. (Obviously Australia is not alone with the problem but each country has differing issues.) Unfortunately 'house rules' don't apply under international law. The issue we have is that we would be quite happy to take our share of genuine refugees who want to come to Australia and contribute to our society and our economy. Enter the 'people smugglers'. For between ten and fifteen thousand dollars they will put you on a leaking boat in Indonesia and either land it on or sink it near Australia territory.

How did these people get to Indonesia? Mostly by plane. They arrive with papers and a passport which conveniently disappear before they leave on the boat. When they arrive we have no way of telling if they are genuine refugees or not. You can't send them back to Indonesia because they are not Indonesian and you can't send them home because you don't know where home is. You can't send them back to the country they call home because that country won't accept them without proof of identity. Now we have tens of thousands of people in makeshift camps waiting to be processed.

You can call these people queue jumpers but in reality, in the camps in the Middle East the chance of being in a queue is minimal. In some way you can say that some of the issues were created by US foreign policy but in reality that has nothing to do with the people from Iraq, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or Sudan. Even if we weren't destroying everything in sight in Afghanistan the are enough internal problems to ensure tens of thousands of refugees.

Now we have a new problem which is caused by Government. A number of these people are being released into the community on temporary protection visas. The catch 22 is that they are not allowed to work. They get a very small subsistence payment and left in limbo. There is little evidence that these people are causing more than superficial problems in the community but in my opinion it is a volcano waiting to erupt. Fortunately I think we will have a change of Government in a few months and that hopefully will get some better policies. :asian:

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe most of Australia's illegal immigrants are British and Americans or are you just referring to asylum seekers?

I think you'll find a lot of Muslims are not practicing Muslims the same as some Christians and Catholics. (and non practicing atheists)

As you would be aware tourist is a major industry here so the risk of people overstaying visas is quite high. And, yes, the number of illegal immigrants flying in is greater than boat arrivals, at present. But the main difference is that they need documentation to get into the country and it is not as difficult to ship them off home when they are detected. The fact that they are in the country illegally is a small security risk but it is not a financial liability as they are not relying on the Government to provide welfare. So yes, it is asylum seekers in the main, particularly those arriving by boat, that are causing the major part of the problem.

As too non practising or practising, it is largely irrelevant. As long as people want to live in Australia under Australian law I don't care what religion they follow. I'm not sure how you can have a non practising atheist. If you don't believe in the existence of God, what is there to practise? :asian:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can have a non practising atheist. If you don't believe in the existence of God, what is there to practise? :asian:

Just didn't want them to feel left out

Latest Discussions