grip training!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
man i love grip training. i have a pair of captain of crush grippers (http://www.onlinefitness.com/product.cfm?pr=1543&ref=f) which i really like. i also built a wide-grip wrist roller. i took an 8-inch pvc pipe, & cut it down to a couple feet, then drilled a hole through the middle. tied a rope through the hole, then tie a weight plate (i usually use 25lbs) at the other end, & just roll the weight up & down. really kills the forearms. i use the same apparatus for reverse curls sometimes, that way i can hit my grip while working other muscles. then of course i'm always advocating the farmer's walk.

the latest grip exercise i've been doing is with resistance bands. i shut one end in a door, then wrap a towel or rag around the handle to simulate a judo gi. then just pull it over & over till my grip gives.

i think grip training is very important for martial artists, especially grapplers. even without training, a non-grappler can do a lot to interrupt a grappler just by having a strong grip. this guy has some really good, creative grip exercises:

i haven't done much pinch-grip training, but it's fairly popular with the strongman set. here is a guy pinching two 45lbs plates together & lifting them off the floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XgnB_T4MA&feature=related

if anyone has any grip training tips or input, i'd love to hear it.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you want to take it to the next level. Google Ivanko Super Gripper.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could try doing chin ups with a towel hanging over the bar , or just time yourself to see how long you can hang from the towel . That really kills my fingers and forearms .

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want grip strength, go buy a milk cow. I played college football with a guy who had an insane grip and he said his dad made him milk a dairy cow twice a day for 2 years. That is where his grip came from. Laugh if you want, but it is an old school way of getting it done.

Latest Discussions