Conditioning exercises

OP
A

A.R.K.

It is a great exercise. We call them a pyramid at the academy. The only difference is that we do them with the military 4 count and work up to 20 then back down. Takes a bit of time but you know you've done something afterwards :)

I have heard of the kettle training and am interested in the idea.

Here is a tidbit to shoot for, the world record for Hindu squats in 9001. Set by Karl Koch in 4 1/2 hours.

Matt Furey did 2000 to ring in the year 2000. My friend Gary was able to complete just over 1600 the same evening.

Take care :)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard the "hindu push up" called a lot of things... No doubt it is a nasty thing.

How do you do a "hindu squat?" I may have seen it by another name, but please explain it... I love doing squats, and sent my office members into convulsions (well, not really, but darn close) at PT last week by making them do "only a few."

They failed to perform the Janda situps correctly, no matter how much correction I provided, so they did not fully appreciate how evil it is... What can I say? Sometimes soldiers are not so bright... ;)

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
A

A.R.K.

Yiliquan1,

I found an article for you on the Hindu Squat with photos as well as the Hindu push ups we were talking about before;

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

Love them! Hurts so gooood :waah:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But I like Pavel's squats better... Exactly the same thing, essentially, but instead of coming up on the toes on the upward recovery movement, the pressure is kept through the heels.

I can see where hindu squats would work the calves as well as the quads and hams, but by keeping the pressure through the heels the hams and glutes are tweaked just a tad bit more (in my opinion).

Good exercise though. How many reps of the squats do you do? Pavel recommends a number equal to your age, and at least 100 - 300 a day if you have bad knees... Seems contradictory, but having bad knees I can vouch for the fact that my knees actually feel better doing loads of squats than they do when I don't.

Thanks for the info!

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
M

MantisMan

jfarnsworth
:rofl:

It's not a question of having the time ;-) - it's whether I've got the energy for anything else!

OP
E

Erkki

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
But I like Pavel's squats better... Exactly the same thing, essentially, but instead of coming up on the toes on the upward recovery movement, the pressure is kept through the heels.

Matt, you like squatting through the heels better because it is easier on the knee joint, provided the knees track the feet and don't push forward over the toes. Hindu squats put a lot of pressure on the knee joint due to the knees bending so far forward (if you don't believe me, perform one of each squat and compare the feeling of pressure in the joint). They are ok for people with healthy knees but military guys whose joints have been beaten to death for years would be wise to avoid them. Like Pavel says, you'll miss your knees when they're gone. ;)

OP
A

A.R.K.

I think that in addition to proper recovery time one should consider light and heavy days. It mixes up the routine a bit and helps prevent burn out or bordom.

Good to throw some new things into the mix as well from time to time.

OP
M

MantisMan

That's a very good point from Zhao Dai Wei. I would emphatically agree that changes to routines, or adjustments between fully intensive sessions and "light" or less intensive exercises is the key to maintaining the motivation to continue.

Why? Because there are just some days when you can't face a full-on workout and you have to be aware that you have "strong" days and "weak" days. As long as you are aware of your own body's status you won't go far wrong (i.e. you won't damage yourself or burn out).

Also, a good point about adding new things in. I regularly add in exercises I have seen on TV, or from magazines, or friends have recommended for particular muscle groups. I try them out, see what I feel comfortable with, and add them in if I need to.

Just remember to drop some too! :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Gazzell Freestyle. Someone at work gave it to me because he found he didnt get a workout on it.

I like it. It's fun to walk on when I am watching TV. He's right... its not a fabulous workout, but it beats sitting on you ***.

OP
J

JDenz

When I feel less strong I just add some Dr. Pepper to the line up.

Latest Discussions