Grilled Cheese Sammiches

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been given to understand that the states of America had no cheese worthy of the name - even the wonderfully sympathetic Steven Fry engendered this opinion in his tour of America.

Is this perception an incorrect one?

American Cheese in general is mild and almost flavorless and easily massed produced. Anyone with culture or seasoned pallet would not enjoy it.

We even have a more generic version called wellfare cheese. It makes a very nice grilled cheese if you are looking for a very mild sandwhich.

I like Cheddar and Swiss. I also have enjoyed many other variations.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
American and jalapenos.

Though American and tomato isn't bad...

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Five Guys makes a mean grilled cheese too.... You can get bacon....green peppers, jalapenos.......anything you want.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been given to understand that the states of America had no cheese worthy of the name - even the wonderfully sympathetic Steven Fry engendered this opinion in his tour of America.

You just have to know where to look. It`s like martial arts. There maybe super markets full of "McDojo Cheese" everywhere you look......but if you ask around you can find amazing cheeses in almost any city. Lots are imports, but there`s some amazing cheeses made in the US too.

Made me hungry and homesick all at once.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

America has many, quite bland, mass-produced cheeses. Moreover, we have that congealed mass of oil and carrageenan called 'American Cheese' that we seem to be known for. Even a good, hand-crafted 'american cheese' is pretty lame, to me.

As was mentioned, however, we have some fine craft cheeses (no pun intended) in the states and they are quite expensive and tricky to find; but, they can be found!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently not, since Steven Fry is not to be questioned :idunno: :p :D

:lol: Well I wouldn't go that far :D. I just meant that in his series he took great pains to cast a positive light on the huge variations of peoples, traditions and produce there are in the Americn states. He did a great job of breaking down that monolithic myth of the "Typical American".

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Perhaps. While Wonderbread, Plastisized Kraft Slices, and fizzy yellow adjunct lagers are the biggest sellers from the supermarket shelves and contribute to that perception, there are various local and regional artisans that craft quality breads, cheeses and beers. The states of Wisconsin and Vermont create some of the best cheeses in the USA.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMMMM. Grilled cheese sammiches. My fav is cheddar on wheat. I also love Velveeta with tomato. YUMMY!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only eat velveeta on the protoypical open-faced grilled cheese; fondly known as 'Puffed-Up Cheese'!

My granny made them for us all through childhood. num

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry... I like the way Velveeta (which I realize is barely really cheese), and better American cheeses melt for a sandwich. You get nice, gooey, yumminess. For on burgers -- a good sharp cheddar or blend of chedder and pepperjack (monterey jack w/jalapeños)... yeah.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For on burgers -- a good sharp cheddar or blend of chedder and pepperjack (monterey jack w/jalapeños)... yeah.

I think we're bordering on wandering away from the true soul of this thread: grilled cheese in all it's heaven-sent nomminess.

Please do be careful.

Latest Discussions