Grill Season..

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, looks like another season of backyard BBQ is up and running.

What's everyones tips and tricks?

I'm playing with adding a little liquid smoke to the squirt bottle. Seems to add a little more smoke flavor to the meat.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just the basics, avoid putting the meat over the coals (I assume of course that you are not referring to a Girl Scout Outdoor Easy bake).

Actuaaly, it is a little pricey-but trying buying your meat at a health food store. Range free, no steriods etc, etc.. You will notice the difference. plus your can ask the granola people "does this steak look red enough" just for kicks.
Actually strawberries too (they pull alot out of the soil) organic framers know to rotate thier strawberry fields each year

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indirect heat. After heating up..turn off one sides burners (or shove the coals to one end). Allows the meat to cook through w/o scorching the outside. Then put the meat over the coals for the grill marks.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am an avid "griller" not a BBQer..there is a difference,ya know...:wink2:

A couple of good tips I have picked up. Basics,but helpful.:)

1. Scrap that brush and scraper...wad up (loosely) some Aluminum foil,grab some tongs,commence the scrapin'.

2. Grab some oil (peanut leaves a nice,subtle taste)..some paper towel,grab the tongs again..wipe down the grates. This allows for a nice non-stick surface,plus it adds just a bit-o-crisp to the meat.

3. Marinade,marinade,marinade...New line by Sweet Baby Rays is awesome!

4. Keep a "cool" spot on the grill...this helps for those inevitable problem pieces that just seem to want to burn.

5. Save drowning your meat in BBQ sauce until it's damn near done,this helps with those burnt black crunchie parts...:lol: Use a brush for the love of Pete...and keep it clean.

6. Chicken on the bone is a pita...save yourself the trouble and buy it boneless,or do it (de-bone) yourself. Otherwise,keep the cooler next to you,this'll take a while.

Happy grilling!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Beer Can Chicken. Clean,salt and season a whole chicken. place a 1/2 can of beer inside and set over indirect heat (use the legs like a tripod) for about an hour......mmmmm.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert at BBQ even though I am from TX. But I like to get the coals nice and hot then take a small piece of wet mesquite wood and place it in the center of the coals. Then try to open the vents on opposite sides of the grill if you have a barrel type grill or maybe put the coals and the wood in the smoke box and the meat in the main fire box.

I also like to use Coors (beer) to cook with, I made a turkey one thanksgiving that I injected Coors into the turkey the night before and let it sit in the fridge over night then baked at 4 hours at 250 then 1 hour at 350. The meat just melted in your mouth.

Another tip I like is Open Pit BBQ sauce, I was unable to get it here in TX until a few years ago I had to smuggle it from IL. When I would go visit family in the Chicago area.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Well, looks like another season of backyard BBQ is up and running..
It's about time! Although I have only seen about a handful of good days so far this year. :rolleyes: Problem being is that the snow decided not to stop until end of April then it's been cold. Warm for a day or two then back to cold. :rolleyes: More rain. :idunno: I was wearing a sweatshirt just the other day.
Bah! I hate Ohio.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really grilling but..Garbage Can Turkey.

-Clear a circle of ground and drive a 3' stake into its middle.
-Drive a can over the stake to make a stop.
-Pile up 2 bags of charcoal around stake and light.
-Clean and salt/season or baste a turkey.
-Place an empty beer can, opening down, inside the turkey. You are going to place it on the stake and you want to keep it from sliding down.
-Scrape coals away in a ring around the stake.
-Place a bowl of beer at the bottom of the stake
-Place turkey on steak
-Cover all with a clean steel garbage can.
-Shovel coals around the base of the can with a scoop or two on top of the can.
-Let set for 2 hours.

Get a good pair of asbestos gloves for removing the can. An entire turkey cooked in 2 hours!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those who love to do the work try this site

And for those who don't like the work (ahem arnisador :rolleyes: ) try this site

Found these from the Food Network and watched various pre-memorial day shows on bbq-ing/grilling. Purty cool.
Me, I like the Rubs (pre-seasoning the meats) and doing the slow cooks.

Am still wanting to learn proper seafood grilling techs... particularly shellfishes.

Have a great summah ya'll! :D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just nade an asain brisket, soy souce terriyaki glaze a little ginger and some hot asian souce on the side also grill Apple's with pumpkin, cinnamon and light brown sugar in a little lemon juice boy is it good that way!

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Am still wanting to learn proper seafood grilling techs... particularly shellfishes.
I can help w/fish..never tried shellfish..sounds interesting,though.

Fish=marinade..this helps keep the fish from drying out. Fish especially is prone to dry out at even a hint of heat,hence the marinade.

Here's a nice marinade for fish.

1 cup of OJ
1/2 cup of Garlic and Herbs marinade from Sweet Baby Rays.
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of sugar

After marinading for at least 2 hrs.... take the fillets out and slap them on the grill at about 400 dg. Cook each side until it's "flaky" and with a mild brown char on it.

It also really helps to brush some melted butter on after the marinade has dried up while grilling. mmmmm....Good eatin'!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Persian BBQ chicken:

Soak large bite size chunks of chicken thighs or breasts in a bowl full of lemon juice, chopped white onion, ground black pepper (plenty of this), salt, and saffron for a day.

Stick on to flat skewers.

Now, what makes the chicken is the process. This is usually done over a rectangular box style charcoal BBQ, as this is conducive to the skewers. Once the coals are well lit, put skewers on, and fan vigorously. Turn as they burn.

Serve with flatbread and BBQ tomatoes. MMmmmmm.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Beer Can Chicken. Clean,salt and season a whole chicken. place a 1/2 can of beer inside and set over indirect heat (use the legs like a tripod) for about an hour......mmmmm.
my family is addicted to beer butt chicken...they now sell the beer holder at wally world so the chicken won't fall over and more importantly, so the beer doesn't spill.

BigCat63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Marinade for steaks:
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs worshestire (sp?)
Juice from 2 large tomatoes
1 tbs steak sauce
pinch of cayenne

These quantities are guesses, I never measure.
Marinate overnight...if you only have an hour or two add some meat tenderizer.
I actually cook these steaks directly over the coals so they are slightly burned in parts on the outside, but rare on the inside. Oh yeah....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have discovered a fantastic alternative for Coleslaw. In the Coleslaw, substitute the coleslaw dressing with Kraft's signature dressing "Creamy poppyseed" You can also add raisings and nuts if you wish. It is absolutely delicious and a nice change from regular coleslaw. Fast and easy for grilling season.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
to make it easier to grill chicken with the bones in, try boiling the chicken in heavily seasoned water for a few minutes before grilling. Lots of salt and pepper and garlic and herbs in the water. Then grill for color and texture... and BBQ sauce. Keep the heat down... not too hot

grilling steaks - a long marinade is not necessary.. I just rub them with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Sometimes some 5-spice or garic powder. Get your grill as hot as it gets. Place the steaks in the hottest spot, do not move them until the bottom is seared well and the fat is melting. Then flip them, cook for a little more than half as long as on the first side. DONE. Serve with horseradish or worcestshire. lower heat and frequent turning will dry them out. Searing locks in the juices.

smoking - brisket - dry rub with salt, pepper, chili powder or paprika, garlic powder. Indirect heat only for 12-14 hours MINIMUM. 18 is better. It's like beef candy :D

smoking - pork ribs - marinade in worcestshire, apple vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, molasses for 3-4 hours. Indirect heat only for 8-10 hours MINIMUM. Although it is the cardinal sin of smoking, if you boil the ribs for 10 minutes, you can smoke them in aobut 3-4 hours. However the flavor will be more shallow. and you can't really marinade them but youcan dry rub them after the boiling.

I never put sauce on while smoking meat. Sauce is served on the side at the table. I do use it while grilling chicken, right at the end, so that it only burns a little :)

Grilled bell peppers: quarter and de-seed red green and yellow bell peppers. Place in a large bowl and coat with olive oil and kosher salt. Grill skin-side down for a few minutes, until skin is blackened and crispy (the il will blackn quickly, ignore that). Turn and grill a few more minutes until fleshy side is starting to brown. Place back in bowl, seal for 5 minutes, then the skin can be easily removed.

Grilled zuchinni - get the biggest zuc's you can find. Cut into strip or rounds no more than 1/4 inch thick (and not too thin either!) salt liberally, palce directly on grill over fire, medium hot spot. Cook until throughly browned (or blacked haha) and mostly DRY. The drier they get the sweeter they get.

Shrimp or Scallops - skewers over high heat.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Not really grilling but..Garbage Can Turkey.

-snipe-
Get a good pair of asbestos gloves for removing the can. An entire turkey cooked in 2 hours!
Hey T-

You wouldn't have a scouting background would ya?