Good Article on reality vs. Sport fighting

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a great deal of respect for Marc "Animal" McYoung. Overall, I like what he has to say. However, most grapplers that I have met have the common sense to know not to go to the ground in the street. Most know how to take you down too - quickly. For instance, don't BJJ guys use Judo throws?

Also, I disagree about what he said somewhere on his website about it not being necessary to be in good shape to defend yourself. I'm not a grappler, but this is heresy as far as grapplers are concerned. They have a motto: "Conditioning is the greatest hold" (Karl Gotch quote).

I feel that superior conditioning is a necessity. You have to be in good shape to withstand the blows landed on you, and have the endurance to run away. If you're out of shape, you can't possibly be doing yourself a favor. You got to be able to "take a lickin and keep on tickin".

I think that most people who like to bash grapplers forget that they know how to perform eye gouges, bit, kick and punch too. Of course these are illegal in competition/sport, but you can get a well-conditioned combat athlete to adapt to a fast-moving self-defense situation a lot quicker than the average Joe who hasn't tried out his techniques on a resisting opponent.

Oh, before I forget, Marc's website is http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com

Peace and blessings,

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zujitsuka

Also, I disagree about what he said somewhere on his website about it not being necessary to be in good shape to defend yourself. I'm not a grappler, but this is heresy as far as grapplers are concerned. They have a motto: "Conditioning is the greatest hold" (Karl Gotch quote).

I feel that superior conditioning is a necessity. You have to be in good shape to withstand the blows landed on you, and have the endurance to run away. If you're out of shape, you can't possibly be doing yourself a favor. You got to be able to "take a lickin and keep on tickin".

Peace and blessings,

While I agree that superior conditioning is advantageous, it is not completely neccesary if your talking about "beer belly", not able to run long distances, ect.
My Sigung when asked to show something before a student signs up, will light up a cigarett, open a beer and sit back in his chair and say watch this. Now, while I don't neccessarily agree with that, I have to respect it, as this is the same guy (who has quite a large beer belly if you ask me, but I didn't say that) who does tam tuis on small cups, I've seen him punch his fingers through a stop sign, he trained in wah lum and lightfoot techniques at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando for several years. So while conditioning is great, it MUST not be neccesary.
Really blows my mind though!!!

7sm

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Zujiisuka Rite on.

Coditioning is the best Submisson

I quote the Shamrock Brothers
:roflmao: :roflmao:
:roflmao:

OP
W

WhiteTiger

I think Marc's point was that grappling/ground fighting surrenders mobility and thereby your ability to react to the unexpected e.g( the buddy you didn't see that has a knife or club or a chair). Let's face it no one but no one can predict all the possible variables that may come into play in a street fight. The guy could be a Navy Seal, he could have a weapon, he could be a junky with an infected needle in his pocket, you just can't know, and if you immediately surrender your mobility by going to the ground you also surrender the option of finding out your in over your head and backing out. In my opinion if you find yourself in a steet fight situation strike first, strike hard, and vacate immediately.

Latest Discussions