Came across an Article

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am looking to get more info on the Author who wrote the article Psychosocial Benefits of the Martial Arts: Myth or Reality? His name is Brad Binder and has a Ph.D. I am interested in the article and the subject, but I would like to know a little bit about who wrote. I have not really come across anything that says who he is or gives any background. I like the article so far, and I am also very interested in this subject and the general psychology of Martial Arts

Thanks for your help
Bobby

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Interest topic...is there a Physiological benifits to learning martial arts?

Hum? ...is there one or more? real or myth?

This is funny...if there was no benifits....martial arts would not be what it is today!

Today is someone found out you are training in the martial arts or a Black belt? ...funny how peope look at you differently?

One benifit is body is changes, most people who train there heads size remaim the same....some do get BIGGER HEADS!

One more benifit...is new clothes to wear....Aloha

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used that article as a reference for a recent paper I wrote. The author states that kids learning traditional martial arts display fewer incidents of aggression and antisocial behavior. Arts that include meditation, forms, philosophy, and etiquette are included.
Arts such as kickboxing, where philosophy and meditation are not stressed, contribute to increased incidents of aggression among delinquent youth. Substitute UFC and the same principle holds.

OP
Bobby135

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Interest topic...is there a Physiological benifits to learning martial arts?

Hum? ...is there one or more? real or myth?

This is funny...if there was no benifits....martial arts would not be what it is today!

Today is someone found out you are training in the martial arts or a Black belt? ...funny how peope look at you differently?

One benifit is body is changes, most people who train there heads size remaim the same....some do get BIGGER HEADS!

One more benifit...is new clothes to wear....Aloha

Still Learning,

This article is talking about the PSYCHOSOCIAL effects, not the physiological effects. It is more of whether or not the person who has studied the martial arts improves themselves mentally and they way in which they interact with other people, not the physical nature of it.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, most Ph.D.s who do research are easily googled... But it's not from a peer reviewed journal. When I was in my Ph.D. program I really wanted to do research in this area, but it's not a big money grabber.

Latest Discussions