Going to class once a week

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sincerely sorry for my lack of judgement, when I posted that, making it seem like it's all one in the same. I tried correcting it, by saying what I meant on a later post - when I said that "Old school / Hard core - Traditional TKD" is effective and in deed, a real martial art... unlike the TKD I was referring to. Check out ATA, Total M/A and others in my area, you'll see what I mean.

BTW: You forgot KungFool on your insult list of terrible examples of arts. LOL

Oh Dear, how Foolish of me!

And come to think of it, Braziliant Jiu (Admittedly, the joking name for it is not Jiu. You can probably guess what it is - But this might actually offend some people :p) Miss'Loo.
And WuShouldnt.

:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I see Fleas point of mentioning dance.....its another physical activity, just like the martial arts. Will it help ones MA training? It might, as far as balance goes or fitness, but physical SD purposes...no, probably not.

As for TKD rank....I could go to the TKD section and find numerous discussions on that. Can we avoid bringing that topic to this thread please? :) It really has nothing to do with the OP, which was whether or not one classa week is enough.

robb805

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm in class twice a week but I feel that I could do it more often. When I'm not in class I run, do some bodyweight exercises and shadow box. I'm pretty new to MA and training in general so I'm just experimenting as I go. I'm hoping to get a heavy bag in my garage soon.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm in class twice a week but I feel that I could do it more often. When I'm not in class I run, do some bodyweight exercises and shadow box. I'm pretty new to MA and training in general so I'm just experimenting as I go. I'm hoping to get a heavy bag in my garage soon.

Actually, it sounds like you have a pretty good routine. Now back to the OP. When I was young and single I signed up at a school that offered five classes a week. I tried to average four. Now over thirty years later, with an increasingly demanding boss, as well as a wife and two teen-age kids, that kind of commitment wouldn't be possible. Besides, one of the arts I train is only offered once a week. And it's a 60 mile round trip to get to class. My other instructor is 1,200 miles away. So, except for the several hours we train on Saturdays, I have to train on my own. You do what you can, and whether you end up being "a good Martial Artist" or not is really just for you to judge.

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just to chime in on earlier before I can move on. As a martial artist I try to respect all other arts equally. If I have something negative to say I keep it to myself. Lord knows how I'd feel If what I dedicated my life too was slanderized and trashed so maliciously. Moving on....

Due to recent changes and ever flowing tides my school has had to relocate itself... 45 minutes further away. It used to be open for classes whenever we felt like unlocking the door (we have a set schedule of course). The dojang is only open two days a week for a few hours at a time. I can only make it one of these days. When I show up for class my intention is to tackle it slowly. When I use to word slowly I mean only learn a few new techniques each class. What this does is it makes it easier to remember what I've learned and the process of regurgitating it at home becomes exceedingly simple. I'll work soley on this handful of new techniques for a couple days then work it into my training routine. On the night i go back to class the first thing I op to do is demonstrate the techniques from the previous weeks for the adjustments and fine tuning that I need. Then it's onto the next set and the process repeats itself. I'll make no claim of being some super b.a. BB but this has been working out very well for me and my instructors do recognize it when they see it.

Latest Discussions