2 diferent classes a week

Reaction score
im a quick learner and when it comes to martial arts i always try hard. i take muay thai classes twice a week and have been for a year , but i want to start a grappling art (my old jujitsu dojo is five minutes away from my house) but i still want to train in thai boxing , so would i learn enough if i carried on thai boxing once a week and went jujitsu once a week aswell?

i have only 1 years experience in jujitsu but i still remember what i learned in that 1 year so that will make things a bit easier when i start again , and i can get a heavy bag to practice my striking on so i wont be missing out on not going to the gym.

so , what do you think? should i get a heavy bag to train on and take 1 muay thai class and 1 jujitsu class a week?

or should i stay as i am for a while longer , buy a heavy bag to strike and go jujitsu twice a week?

your thought?

chris

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well it depends on what your goals are.If you are planning on becoming a Muay Thai fight then I would just stick to Muay Thai,but if you want to become more verstile I would to a bit of both(depending on how often you get to train).

On your post it looked like you only have the option of taking only 2 classes a week.If that is the case,then I would focus on just one art are the other.It will take a VERY long time to get perfect something that you only get to do once a week and out of the two Jujitsu would be harder to perfect,with little mat time, because you need a partner with just about all of your techniques.

I was in your shoes not to long ago.I want to learn both Gracie Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai .At first I was training each one three days a week,but since I am plannig on becoming a (Muay Thai) fighter I have devoted pretty much all of my time to Muay Thai(I only get to train BJJ once night a week;after Muay Thai),after I get a few fights under my belt I will give more time to BJJ.

Bruce Lee once said," Do not fear the man who practices 100,000 techniques only once,but the man who practices 1 technique 100,000 times."

Devote your time to that of which you want to perfect friend,and then after perfection venture on to something else.

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
Well it depends on what your goals are.If you are planning on becoming a Muay Thai fight then I would just stick to Muay Thai,but if you want to become more verstile I would to a bit of both(depending on how often you get to train).

On your post it looked like you only have the option of taking only 2 classes a week.If that is the case,then I would focus on just one art are the other.It will take a VERY long time to get perfect something that you only get to do once a week and out of the two Jujitsu would be harder to perfect,with little mat time, because you need a partner with just about all of your techniques.

I was in your shoes not to long ago.I want to learn both Gracie Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai .At first I was training each one three days a week,but since I am plannig on becoming a (Muay Thai) fighter I have devoted pretty much all of my time to Muay Thai(I only get to train BJJ once night a week;after Muay Thai),after I get a few fights under my belt I will give more time to BJJ.

Bruce Lee once said," Do not fear the man who practices 100,000 techniques only once,but the man who practices 1 technique 100,000 times."

Devote your time to that of which you want to perfect friend,and then after perfection venture on to something else.

i would do both but the jujitsu and muay thai lesons are on the same days :( i will stay with the muay thai , thanks for the advice!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

SO that's who said it..I heard it not too long ago and was going to post a "Who said that" question

Slihn said:

That says it best..

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would ask both instructors what there thoughts are. And I would also try to train more then once a week. Especially since Ju Jutsu requires some devotion to get good at.

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
I would ask both instructors what there thoughts are. And I would also try to train more then once a week. Especially since Ju Jutsu requires some devotion to get good at.

a freind of mine has acompanied me all the way through my time in the martial arts and he wants to start jujitsu aswell , so if he comes with me once a week we can practice on eachother when were not in lessons , we wont learn as much only going once a week but we will get better at what we do learn. we did this when we started muay thai , i believe its 1 of the reasons we both advanced so quickly , but should we do the same with jujitsu?

chris

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;699703 said:
a freind of mine has acompanied me all the way through my time in the martial arts and he wants to start jujitsu aswell , so if he comes with me once a week we can practice on eachother when were not in lessons , we wont learn as much only going once a week but we will get better at what we do learn. we did this when we started muay thai , i believe its 1 of the reasons we both advanced so quickly , but should we do the same with jujitsu?

chris

That could be a good way to go. I would still try to go more then once. But that's only so you could get the instructors thoughts. Like, if say, you end up doing a differnit technique then you were taught.

good luck, and good training

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;699703 said:

chris

It depends on where your Muay Thai skills lay,by the way it sounds it seems like you are an advanced Muay Thai fighter(or at least have a firm grasp on the basics) and if that is so than starting Jujitsu wouldnt be a bad idea.Espeically since you have a partner to practice with.It is best to have some sort of training regmine outside of class,this will help you personalize and advance you skills much faster than just training in the gym and the fact that you have a partner makes it even better.With having someone else decated to train with you outside of class,you both can coach each other,identify what you need to work on and train accordingly.

I also noticed in another post you said something training on a heavy bag.It is an excellent idea to train on the techniques that you have trouble with on the heavy bag.Even if it is only once technique,work on it over and over and over again on the bag ( For example 30x4 shin kicks on each leg or doing the same three-hit combination for 4 rounds with a 30 sec rest in between) this will improve you skill a great deal and with a partner it makes training even more effective.

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
It depends on where your Muay Thai skills lay,by the way it sounds it seems like you are an advanced Muay Thai fighter(or at least have a firm grasp on the basics) and if that is so than starting Jujitsu wouldnt be a bad idea.Espeically since you have a partner to practice with.It is best to have some sort of training regmine outside of class,this will help you personalize and advance you skills much faster than just training in the gym and the fact that you have a partner makes it even better.With having someone else decated to train with you outside of class,you both can coach each other,identify what you need to work on and train accordingly.

I also noticed in another post you said something training on a heavy bag.It is an excellent idea to train on the techniques that you have trouble with on the heavy bag.Even if it is only once technique,work on it over and over and over again on the bag ( For example 30x4 shin kicks on each leg or doing the same three-hit combination for 4 rounds with a 30 sec rest in between) this will improve you skill a great deal and with a partner it makes training even more effective.

cheers mate!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chris this would be my question to you, do you want to learn the complete Art or just enough about them to be able to defend yourself. If the answer is defend yourself in a everyday instint then doing goth would probaly be the way to go. but if it is the Complete Art then I would devote myself to that Art.

OP
chris_&#3617;&#3623;&#3618;&#3652;&#3607;&#3618;
Reaction score
Chris this would be my question to you, do you want to learn the complete Art or just enough about them to be able to defend yourself. If the answer is defend yourself in a everyday instint then doing goth would probaly be the way to go. but if it is the Complete Art then I would devote myself to that Art.

i want to learn to grapple because there has been too many times while sparring (and once in a real fight) where i have been taked down , in the real fight i was scared , i managed to secure a rear naked choke and get him to calm down and end the situation but i felt i could have done better if my grappling skills were up to date so to speak. besides that ive always felt more comfortable on the the floor when im a stand up fighter , which is strange , ive always loved groundwork and grappling.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Very important to ask your teachers' inputs on this matter. Some teachers might not be too keen on training at another school, and others may very well encourage it. It's better to have a definite answer one way or the other, than to have to train under constant worry.

Many of my friends at the old dojo still train in both Karate and Jiu Jitsu, and all were able to do so seamlessly. Then again, it did help, that Shihan taught both Karate and Jiu Jitsu, and even incorporated aspects of both into the classes, and even offered a nice discount if you chose to study both martial arts systems.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_&#3617;&#3623;&#3618;&#3652;&#3607;&#3618;;700084 said:
i want to learn to grapple because there has been too many times while sparring (and once in a real fight) where i have been taked down , in the real fight i was scared , i managed to secure a rear naked choke and get him to calm down and end the situation but i felt i could have done better if my grappling skills were up to date so to speak. besides that ive always felt more comfortable on the the floor when im a stand up fighter , which is strange , ive always loved groundwork and grappling.

I would talk with my instructors before making any descions about taking one class or two, or one system or the other, as it has already been suggested. However first I believe you need to ask yourself as it was suggested what are your goals?

If you are training to be a MT fighter than stay with the MT, since not many of the MT fights that I have seen have much grappling. While they do have take downs and such these should be covered in your class.

If it was more for self defense or to become a more well rounded fighter, then if you feel comfortable with your skills in MT to adequately defend yourself, then I would do the BJJ and devote your time to studying it for a time. Buy a heavy bag and work your MT combinations and keep your conditioning up at home. And then in time after you are more familar with the BJJ you can cut back and go back to the MT class.

But I wouldn't do both at the same time for now. I believe this will be a frustrating experience for you. At the MT school there will be people whose focus is on MT and in sparring them their extra time in the ring and at class will begin to show and in time your skills won't keep up due to your time being split with BJJ. Likewise at the BJJ school you won't keep up with your class mates for the same reason. If you are looking to compete seriously in either art then I think you will be at a disadvantage by dividing your time between the two if you only can commit to two classes a week.

Latest Discussions