What do your workout routines look like?

Blitz2.0

White Belt
Reaction score
Just curious what all you guys routines look like during this pandemic. How has it affected your training? And what have you changed in your routines to adapt?

My routine: we only have class 2 nights a week but I can only make it to one of those classes,and they are non contact classes so no hubud or trapping drills and no sparring. Class 1 day a week, I train my techniques alone 3 days a week, I lift weights 2-3 times a week, and do isometrics 1-2 days a week, I haven't been doing cardio because class and the other 3 days I practice are good cardio, but I might add in some extra cardio in the next few weeks. Also do impact training with a century Bob and my eskrima sticks once a week just to practice hitting something solid. I've been focusing a lot on grip strength lately too. What type of stuff are you guys doing for your training or to stay in shape?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just curious what all you guys routines look like during this pandemic. How has it affected your training? And what have you changed in your routines to adapt?

My routine: we only have class 2 nights a week but I can only make it to one of those classes,and they are non contact classes so no hubud or trapping drills and no sparring. Class 1 day a week, I train my techniques alone 3 days a week, I lift weights 2-3 times a week, and do isometrics 1-2 days a week, I haven't been doing cardio because class and the other 3 days I practice are good cardio, but I might add in some extra cardio in the next few weeks. Also do impact training with a century Bob and my eskrima sticks once a week just to practice hitting something solid. I've been focusing a lot on grip strength lately too. What type of stuff are you guys doing for your training or to stay in shape?
I have really got to get back on a routine. Had some surgical setbacks early this year and then summer hit. We farm cattle & crops so summers are brisk. That is just one of my jobs.
I am slated for knee replacements, hopefully the left one next month. Sounds weird to say but I actually look forward to the PT. May change my mind after the first week of it.:):( I know my legs have went downhill this year but you just have to pick your battles sometimes.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mostly cardio stuff. Strength training...I do it but it’s not as important to me

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've honestly been training more than I ever have before!

Dojos are still closed, but I was in between styles anyway. As usual weekly I do 2-3 days of weights (not for the entire day ;) ). For quite a few months I did my own home karate training, mixing it up and working on so many different aspects I've always wanted to. Have got a thread goin somewhere about it.. but lots of basics, kata, footwork drills, bagwork, breathing, resistance tube stuff...

But I eventually explored online training that had been popping up all over, and it's been such an enriching experience. Training with people from all over the world and from different styles has been just unreal.... also training with legends in the karate world that I never thought I'd have the opportunity to is something I'll always cherish.

At the moment training online with a Goju ryu group, and fortnightly with a more aiki/Zen/natural style karate instructor, an absolute highlight that I look forward to very much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sloppy and undisciplined, on bad days. :oops:
Seriously, mostly kata (for movement and a bit of cardio) and body weight stuff. Occasionally some kettlebell work. I don’t exercise as much as I intend to - a common stress reaction for me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The pandemic has mad my workouts more difficult now that I have to train outdoors. No more temperature controlled rooms. Totally sucks. But I'm getting used to it and I'm enjoying it more. Being that I have high blood pressure, it doesn't take me long to sweat any excess salt out of my system and I drink more water now because I'm outdoors.

Self motivation sucks so I gave myself a goal. Now when I go out and train it's for the purpose of being a good instructor that way guys hear don't have to look at an out of shape instructor teaching how to punch lol. I wasn't a slacker when I taught in a physical school, so I still need to hold true to that and be ready for when this Covid-19 stuff is over.

Latest Discussions