Godai techniques

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I got my start in Ninjutsu, in the early 90's, everything was based off of the elements. 9th kyu was Earth/Chi; settled stances and up/down techniques, 8th kyu was Water/Sui; fluid movement away from the attack and then crashing back in with a counter attack, 7th=Fire/Ka; this was trying to burn a hole right through your opponent, fast and aggressive, 6th=Wind/Fu; was sidestepping an attack in such a way that you could attack/control/escape as you wanted and 5th was Void/Ku; this allowed you freedom to blend and mix everything that had come before. Having never gone higher at the time I dont know if it repeated (like Kenpo which duplicates several of its techniques but then grows beyond what was taught before, like henka).

I have noticed several other systems do this as well but do not call it anything like this. Kenpo (when I studied) started with the basics of a good stance and simple moves (earth), moved on to attack avoidance (water), moved on to attack/counter attacks (fire), then got more technical with parrying and staying in tight (wind) until finally you get to a level that you can start in any number of ways (elements) and transition as the situation, your skill, physical ability and preference(s) without concious thought (void).

Even LE DT is like this although wind (style) techniques are probably the least employed but at least mentioned; maybe the front/rear leg pivot can count but at least there are parries.

To make a short thread really long, for all you cross trained ninjas out there, have any of you learnt like this (first paragraph) and have you seen it in the other styles you have studied under?