God

OP
M

marshallbd

OUMoose said:
How is that treading on other's religious convictions? He was clearly referring to himself, and others who make no case against their presumed location after passing.
I would agree with that, besides, he does hae the right to say whatever he feels concerning religion, whether or not we agree with it.....as long is it is respectful....

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I consider myself a deeply spiritual man, but not religious. I see the influence of the Unseen Mover everywhere, and the more I study science, biology, chemistry, physiology, etc., the more convinced I become that there is not possible way this is an accident.

I consider the specififs of my spiritual practices to be private: I think there's even something in the gospel about praying in your closet, instead of in the streets where people can hear you. So, when asked, I respond with one of the following:

1. I'm a Frisbeetarian: The belief that, when you die, your soul flies onto the garage roof and gets stuck up there.

2. Neo-Pagan Shamanic Mysticism. Just because it's fun to watch peoples eyes cross as they try to unpackage it when you say it really fast.

I will say this: I don't believe any established world religion has the big picture nailed down. Kinda that 'several blind men describing the elephant' thing, or the Allegory of the Cave. I think finding the truth is an individual journey, and can only be hard won by those who seek dilligently and consistently, with an open mind and no projections as to what the truth should look like. This pretty much rules out most established paths; standardized approaches to some other individuals reported experience of the truth. Reaching a place of perception without projection is a lifetime effort that I'm not sure many have ever achieved; I know I have not. So I'll keep sourcing.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
1. I'm a Frisbeetarian: The belief that, when you die, your soul flies onto the garage roof and gets stuck up there.

*chuckle* I have to remember that one.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My beliefs are a subtle mix of taoism, buddhism, and quantum physics.

What really strikes me is the tendency for matter to be discontinuous. A particle pops in and out of existence. Also, I find it peculiar that a particle can become energy, and a photon can become a particle. Its difficult for me to accept any sort of realist theory that has conciousness existing in the universe. I think its the other way around. The universe exists in conciousness. Though I'm still trying to reconcile these things with the rest of my beliefs, and spend alot of time sitting around, looking confused!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
God is just the explaination for somethings we do not understand and therefore we created something more mighty than we could understand and got ourselves unstuck!

Prove God?

Then you say, Prove God doesnt exist though!

in which I reply:

I can say that about anything, I have a purple giraffe, only I can see it, touch it or smell it and you cant see it, therefore it exists!!!!, well in the God theory it does anyway If I use your theories!

See my point!

NO Disrespect people, in my opinion, you are a stronger person if you believe in something and stand by it through criticsm than a person who doesnt believe in anything!
Regards

P.S I used to be a Christain until I grew older and felt I was being brainwashed by Church and the bible. I chose my own path, nothing chooses it for me, apart maybe from my nature and some extra stimuli!

Sailor

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe in a supreme being but it is probably a rather eclectic view. I feel that the term "God" is more a title then a name of an individual deity. We don't have the words to be able to define such a being, so why try.

As for as where we go or what happens when we die I can only guess. But that's what makes it such a grand adventure.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
[ We don't have the words to be able to define such a being, so why try.

Well, we created that being, Humans created that being. And just because you cannot define it, doesnt bring it into existance!

Regards

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just discussing this subject yesterday with a friend. He brought up a good point. Have any of you guys seen the movie Contact? In it the main character (Jodie Foster) is a scientist that is very anti-religion. She feels that if you can prove it, then it doesn't exist. Her opposite is a wandering holy man, who tries to explain God's presence in this way; He asks if she loves her father and she replies yes. He then says prove it. Somethings may exist, but they can't be proven until later. That doesn't mean we can deny their presence.

OP
L

LateBloomer

OULobo said:
I was just discussing this subject yesterday with a friend. He brought up a good point. Have any of you guys seen the movie Contact? In it the main character (Jodie Foster) is a scientist that is very anti-religion. She feels that if you can't prove it, then it doesn't exist. Her opposite is a wandering holy man, who tries to explain God's presence in this way; He asks if she loves her father and she replies yes. He then says prove it. Somethings may exist, but they can't be proven until later. That doesn't mean we can deny their presence.
Oh yes, me, me. I read the book Contact first before I saw the movie (Jodie Foster). I liked the ending in the movie much better than the book because the movie actually sums up the very important conclusion her character finally came to through the ordeal of the congressional hearing...that somethings we just have to take on FAITH (because she had no physical proof). Amen.

I don't remember the part about the holy man but the explanation makes sense to me. I can claim that my father loves me by giving examples from my experience. It does come down to personal experience.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
LateBloomer said:
that somethings we just have to take on FAITH (because she had no physical proof).
... lets not forget the end of the movie though. The 18-hours of static recorded was not "proof"? It may not prove that she saw little green men, but it does prove that something outside of what was witnessed did in fact happen.

I know, it's nitpicking, but it is relevant IMO.