God says invade Iraq?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
"What nonsense! This woman has only been talking to herself."

- St. John of the Cross, mystical contemplative, writing about a nun that claimed to have conversations with God
I didn't say it wasn't blather-ish. I just said I attend. They let me play trombone in the band.

My views differ from Christianity; but, there is something of value there, nonetheless.
:yinyang:

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
IMy views differ from Christianity; but, there is something of value there, nonetheless.
:yinyang:

C'mon now, if I thought "Christianity" was really worthless, you think I'd be quoting Catholic saints?? ;)

Regarding the whole having chats with God thing, though, I am also reminded of St. John of the Cross's injunction that we "lose the radical self-centered awareness of our being, for it is our own self that stands in the way of God".

My take is that if a person is imagining "God" having a nice little conversation with his or herself, a la person to person, it likely has more to do with his or her own ego than with anything sublime.

Laterz.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I proposed to my wife in a hot air balloon. The pilot was an evangelical Christian. My wife was not real big on the idea of getting into the hot air balloon. But when the pilot starting asking for God's personal guidance to find a landing spot for the balloon .... I think Sheryl's panic meter spiked.

"Dear Lord, I know you are going to find us a safe landing site. We believe that Jesus will guide us to safety. We trust in your power, and wisdom Dear Lord, please provide us a safe return to earth, in Jesus' name."

I had to explain to Sheryl that this is perfectly normal for "these people" to pray in any circumstance. "Dear Jesus, I know you provide me with the guidance to the Corn Flakes." "Dear Jesus, thank you for having a sale on Chicken of the Sea this week." "Dear Lord, thank you putting this gas station right here where I need it."

I don't mean to imply anything concerning people's beliefs with those statements. I spent a part of my life working with and ministering in an Evangelical music organization. This is my perception of the Assemblies of God fellowship. My experiences their led me to believe that religion should be a private affair.

Do I think Bush made this silly statement? Not a direct quote, but I would not be surprised if he intimated this sentiment.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
C'mon now, if I thought "Christianity" was really worthless, you think I'd be quoting Catholic saints?? ;)

Regarding the whole having chats with God thing, though, I am also reminded of St. John of the Cross's injunction that we "lose the radical self-centered awareness of our being, for it is our own self that stands in the way of God".

My take is that if a person is imagining "God" having a nice little conversation with his or herself, a la person to person, it likely has more to do with his or her own ego than with anything sublime.

Laterz.
Gomen nasai, I never meant to imply you thought Christianity was bogus.

My thoughts on direct contact with the deity? Unlikely. Like the Tao (which God may or may not be, no one's telling), I believe we can percieve it's nature, not it's self.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Gomen nasai, I never meant to imply you thought Christianity was bogus.

My thoughts on direct contact with the deity? Unlikely. Like the Tao (which God may or may not be, no one's telling), I believe we can percieve it's nature, not it's self.

I think this dichotomy between the "nature" and "self" of something is perhaps pulling straws. In the end, I doubt it matters much.

The world's various mystical traditions make it pretty clear that the realization of all this wacky spiritual stuff involves an actual transformation on the part of the self-system (what philosopher Ken Wilber calls "transformative religion", as opposed to "translative religion" which involves merely changing your beliefs or opinions about the world). At the very highest levels of contemplative or meditative awareness, the "self" is thrown away altogether (so to speak). This is true whether we're speaking of Nagarjuna, Ibn 'al Arabi, Shankara, St. John of the Cross, Meister Eckhart, or St. Gregory of Nyssa.

In my opinion, "God" and "Tao" are just words. The traditions they come from make it fairly clear that their referents are pretty much beyond words and labels altogether (which theology traditionally refers to as "transcendence").

Just my thoughts. :asian:

Laterz.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
I thought God told him to make a palestinian state as well.. what's up with that? didnt he say last week that he's not gonna promise that anymore?

Anyone else ever notice that whenever anyone reports having these private conversations with the Big Guy, it always involves divinely confirming beliefs and thoughts they already had in the first place??

I mean, its not like the personal deity is a projection of the superego or anything like that...

:D :D :D

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Anyone else ever notice that whenever anyone reports having these private conversations with the Big Guy, it always involves divinely confirming beliefs and thoughts they already had in the first place??

I mean, its not like the personal deity is a projection of the superego or anything like that...

:D :D :D
are you kidding? people are like cattle, sadly! if you can control them saying "God talked to me" would you say He told you something against what you want to tell them?! he aint gonna say God said impeach me, is he now?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:

I dunno. Was Noah planning on building an ark before he got the call? :D

(Bill Cosby had a funny piece about this many years ago...)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Hey, fair's fair, I guess. Remember, they're both on a mission from God.

Long live the American Jihad!

pleh...:barf: it all turns my stomach

Yea, but western nations call it a "crusade"

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:

I am reminded of the days when I worked in ER and we'd see the schizophrenics (there were many days like that). I often wondered why the voices in their heads didn't tell them to take their meds or crochet an afghan or something. It was always 'Kill this' or 'Cut that'. Never anything nice.

Flying Crane said:
Yea, but western nations call it a "crusade"

Feces is still *****, right? What's in a name?