God says invade Iraq?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kinda scary if it's accurate...

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L07484361.htm

In advance excerpts from the television series "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs" to be broadcast this month, Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I attend a charismatic church and there is a lot of that kind of personalization going on. God told me this and God told me that. I read this article and am quite concerned by this sort of co-authoring the the president is beginning. It suggests that something more horrific will happen and he'll simply say, 'It was God's will' to justify it. Makes me nervous.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speration of Church and State.... Religious war.... Hey isn't Osama on a mission from God too?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Speration of Church and State.... Religious war.... Hey isn't Osama on a mission from God too?
Hey, fair's fair, I guess. Remember, they're both on a mission from God.

Long live the American Jihad!

pleh...:barf: it all turns my stomach

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
they claim

In advance excerpts from the television series "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs" to be broadcast this month, Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did.

Shaath says "Bush said to all of us". I sure don't recall hearing him say that. Anyone here ever hear this aside from this quote? I've heard the accusation in a few places, but I don't ever recall hearing Bush say this. The media would jump all over this if he did. Think he is ever making public speeches w/out the media being around? I'd rather hear a quote than someone saying he heard a quote. That qualifies as hearsay. I could give you a GW quote. "God told GW I was a penguin". Make it meaningful? Consider the source of the quote too. He even comments in the same article:

But he added: "It was really a figure of speech (by Bush). We felt he was saying that he had a mission, a commitment, his faith in God would inspire him ... rather than a metaphysical whisper in his ear."

Guess which quote gets the most press.

MrH

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
We felt he was saying that he had a mission, a commitment, his faith in God would inspire him ... rather than a metaphysical whisper in his ear."
'We felt...' is an editorial opinion, don't you think?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
'We felt...' is an editorial opinion, don't you think?
Don't forget the the first part of the quote:
It was really a figure of speech (by Bush).
As with all figures of speech, you need to try and understand what the person is saying. If I say "I am a roaring lion", do you really think that I believe I'm a roaring lion? What do you -feel- I am trying to say? What do you -think- I'm trying to say.

Part of the problem is figures of speech can be taken literally with bad results.

MrH

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Don't forget the the first part of the quote:
It was really a figure of speech (by Bush).
As with all figures of speech, you need to try and understand what the person is saying. If I say "I am a roaring lion", do you really think that I believe I'm a roaring lion? What do you -feel- I am trying to say? What do you -think- I'm trying to say.

Part of the problem is figures of speech can be taken literally with bad results.

MrH
Well, I agree with some figures of speech being metaphorical; but, someone in Mr. Bush's position that has proclaimed his spirituality as clearly as he has would know that such a statement, within charismatic or evangelical circles, would be taken quite literally.

I think that's backpedalling.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

How can you spin this into being no different then "I am a roaring lion"?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't we just ask God to send some hurricanes and tornadoes their way, as some evangelists think God has done against groups he dislikes in the U.S.?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Can't we just ask God to send some hurricanes and tornadoes their way, as some evangelists think God has done against groups he dislikes in the U.S.?
Yeah, but what if they ask that those storms be stopped? Then what?

*shrug*

I don't think the Tao/God dallies with such things.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
"I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

How can you spin this into being no different then "I am a roaring lion"?
both are figures of speech. both can be taken literally. Even the veracity of GW making the statement is in question. Its a match of "he said, she said". For example:

I think GW is insane. He claimed I was a penguin. I heard him. Noone else did though, and its not on tape. My recollections are clear. Therefor, Bush should be impeached or at least censored. Bad president.

Who should we believe? Me? Bush and his media relations group? People expect Bush to say certain things (regardless of if he would say it), and if even the rumor comes up that he did, they jump on his case. I just say "chill out!" If the quote is true, let it come out. If there is proof, then lets discuss it. What we have now is hearsay. Thats it. Someone with a possible beef against Bush and the media with itchy/anxious ears.

MrH

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Ray said:
Bush has denied making those statments.
You didn't really think his string-pullers would let him reinforce the comments, did you?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
*error

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bush said hes going to sick the CIA on all Martial Talk non-believers. :shrug:

T

TonyM.

Politics. From poly, meaning many and ticks which are blood sucking little insects.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I attend a charismatic church and there is a lot of that kind of personalization going on. God told me this and God told me that.

"What nonsense! This woman has only been talking to herself."

- St. John of the Cross, mystical contemplative, writing about a nun that claimed to have conversations with God

Latest Discussions