GM's

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding retirement/semi-retirement of GM's. Do you feel that a GM should remain active within his club right through till they pass away? Is there a point where they can let go of the reigns and have less and less involvement in their club or do they owe it to their students and club to stick around in a 'hands on' capacity until they can literally no longer do so? What do you expect of your GM, or those of you who have had the GM retire and hand the reigns to someone else, have you had a problem with that? Im just trying to garner, from a students point of view, what you believe your GM's obligations are regarding 'sticking around'.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's up to the individual GM, honestly. To put countless hours & years into our Art & into many many students isn't easy. Choosing to retire is certainly their right. It would very hard for the student who bought that GM's school if that GM were around often, as well. When would it become THAT person's school (were that to happen)?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think they are doing a dis-service if they have not set-up a successor. An eighth or ninth Dan walking away with only a 4th dan to run things is BAD for everyone.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think they are doing a dis-service if they have not set-up a successor. An eighth or ninth Dan walking away with only a 4th dan to run things is BAD for everyone.

I agree with that statement, but I've also seen GM's promote a successor in order to make it "look good." In the situation I saw it didn't work out well. In an ideal world, there would be a good successor in place, and the GM could comfortably choose to be a part of the new school or not.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with that statement, but I've also seen GM's promote a successor in order to make it "look good." In the situation I saw it didn't work out well. In an ideal world, there would be a good successor in place, and the GM could comfortably choose to be a part of the new school or not.

true...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding retirement/semi-retirement of GM's.

If he retires, he retires. I have had instructors retire on me, and it wasn't a big deal, especially for Taekwondo because I had Kukkiwon certification and it was easy to continue along the path. :) Now I am at a stage where I would be ok if my present instructors retire. I don't worry about it.

I will say that there are a lot of lost people out there who for one reason or another do not have an instructor anymore and are seeking one, especially one to promote them with Kukkiwon rank. Obtaining Kukkiwon high dan rank will be limited to a very select few, especially in the USA. A lot of seniors are retiring, passing away or otherwise leaving the scene. Even the third generation practitioners who started in the fifties are now in their seventies.

The Kukkiwon, under the immediate Past President GM LEE Seung Wan, was aware of the situation and wanted to help. The new Kukkiwon president seems less interested in helping international dan holders; seems intent on slamming the door on non-Korean Taekwondoin if you ask me. He's coming to the US by the way, the new Kukkiwon president, in February.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree too - better a good 4th Dan than a crappy 8th Dan

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he retires, he retires. I have had instructors retire on me, and it wasn't a big deal, especially for Taekwondo because I had Kukkiwon certification and it was easy to continue along the path. :) Now I am at a stage where I would be ok if my present instructors retire. I don't worry about it.

I will say that there are a lot of lost people out there who for one reason or another do not have an instructor anymore and are seeking one, especially one to promote them with Kukkiwon rank. Obtaining Kukkiwon high dan rank will be limited to a very select few, especially in the USA. A lot of seniors are retiring, passing away or otherwise leaving the scene. Even the third generation practitioners who started in the fifties are now in their seventies.

The Kukkiwon, under the immediate Past President GM LEE Seung Wan, was aware of the situation and wanted to help. The new Kukkiwon president seems less interested in helping international dan holders; seems intent on slamming the door on non-Korean Taekwondoin if you ask me. He's coming to the US by the way, the new Kukkiwon president, in February.
Our GM (9th dan) is probably what Id call semi-retired. He has a 7th dan (not far of 8th) as the chief instructor and under him there are about 30 other instructors who have anywhere from 1-5 classes they run overseen by the chief instructor. I think with this sort of set up the GM can slowly 'let go' without too much, if any, disruption.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our GM (9th dan) is probably what Id call semi-retired. He has a 7th dan (not far of 8th) as the chief instructor and under him there are about 30 other instructors who have anywhere from 1-5 classes they run overseen by the chief instructor. I think with this sort of set up the GM can slowly 'let go' without too much, if any, disruption.

Then you have nothing to worry about, right?

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding retirement/semi-retirement of GM's. Do you feel that a GM should remain active within his club right through till they pass away? Is there a point where they can let go of the reigns and have less and less involvement in their club or do they owe it to their students and club to stick around in a 'hands on' capacity until they can literally no longer do so? What do you expect of your GM, or those of you who have had the GM retire and hand the reigns to someone else, have you had a problem with that? Im just trying to garner, from a students point of view, what you believe your GM's obligations are regarding 'sticking around'.
While I do think as others have said, it will depend on the grandmaster. I am sure common sense issues like health & wealth may play a part.
But I do think it should be both! Set up a successor or management team to run the day to day operations & continue to contribute in whatever ways possible, ie - lectures, special classes, preside over some testings, accompany students or meet them at tournaments, attend parties or dinners with them, even set up lunches with the grandmaster, where students can sit in a relaxed setting, spend some time with the grandmasters, ask some questions, pose for photos & listen to some stories about the good old days.
These opportunities may be invaluable. I would even record them for posterity. They would also do wonders for the grandmasters as well. As people age, they need to know that they are needed, that they are important, what they have is worth sharing & that the life they have lived was well worth it.

Latest Discussions