GM Robert Trias

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think every American Martial Artist should know his own name. And even know how to spell it. For those of us who can’t - that’s why we started embroiling our names on our belts.

And, yes, our directions home were written on the little tags on the back inside of our
t-shirts. Hey, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, our directions home were written on the little tags on the back inside of our
t-shirts.
Oh man that where it was? I couldn't find it and wondered around for like 10 years. Eventually I gave up and just made a new home.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of us who can’t - that’s why we started embroiling our names on our belts.
I always enjoyed the look on the Korean seamstress’ face when they saw that my last name is 11 letters long. 😂

dennis63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are many people who claim to have been first to open this or that karate or martial arts school in that time period. If you practiced different things with two or three different schools, then formed your own school and named it, I guess you could say you were "the first."

I think there's an element of marketing involved in such claims -- and bragging.

I often think we need to take these claims with a grain of salt.

I wish I could shed more light on your opening question. I began practicing karate in 1981, and I've actually never heard of the man about which you are asking.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many people who claim to have been first to open this or that karate or martial arts school in that time period. If you practiced different things with two or three different schools, then formed your own school and named it, I guess you could say you were "the first."

I think there's an element of marketing involved in such claims -- and bragging.

I often think we need to take these claims with a grain of salt.

I wish I could shed more light on your opening question. I began practicing karate in 1981, and I've actually never heard of the man about which you are asking.
No worries. I started training in MA in 1978 and I haven’t heard of him either.

Latest Discussions