GM Keith Yates "Texas Blood & Guts" Karate

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I recently read an article in Martial Edge in which Lesley Jackson interveiwed GM Keith Yates and Student of GM Allan Steen the father of “Texas Blood and Guts” American Karate. I was particularly impressed with his answer.

What do you like about martial arts in the 21st century? Is there anything you dislike?

“Its hard to categorise the martial arts in the 21st century. There are schools that adhere to the strict traditions of the ancient ways (although many don’t really know what the ancient ways truly are—but that’s a topic for another dicussion). There are schools who cater to the largest common denominator, children (whose parents pay big bucks), and thus must teach simplified karate. Of course there are also schools that latch onto the latest craze, be it “extreme martial arts,” or “mixed martial arts.”
I have never been one to criticize someone else’s approach to their practice or even their teaching. I have, however, discovered what works best for ME. I’ll take the Western approach in that if it works, I’ll incorporate it. I also maintain the Asian approach, which tends to combine the physical with mental, emotional and spiritual development. I enjoy teaching children but I want them to know more than karate “games” and how to defend themselves in a way that doesn’t always involve a kick to the stomach. Much of how I’ve developed my system can be traced to Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee’s philosophy (my grandfather in the martial arts).” Keith Yates

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Master Yates is a pioneer along with alot of other folks out there. Sometimes we must see what is best for each student and not the majority.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a Steen lineage TKD black belt myself and proud to be one. There was a fair amount of Western boxing influence in our style.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like he has allot of the Bruce Lee philosophy of "take what works best for you and discard that which does not work for you." If you look at how long he has been practicing Martial Arts they may have developed that way of thinking at the same time. A very impressive man and a great Martial Arts mind.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes he is, I know him well, but most of the Dallas area Steen lineage BB's know GM Yates.

Yates got his black in like 74 i think, after Lee was dead. Interesting that he calls it American Karate tho

edited to add, article says 68

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoyed it too. The one thing which really makes me respect GM Yates is that he still trains and he mentioned that he is still learning.

Latest Discussions