GM Dunn performs and explains the basic 20 Hyung of KSD

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a video clip of GM Dunn performing and explaining the basic 20 Hyung of Kong Soo Do, or at least his version. I don't know why but for some reason it doesn't really look like Kong Soo Do to me, but more like some sort of modified wing chun. I also don't really see any body weight transfer in the movements, just arm and leg power only. There are some front kicks and a side kick. Also the joonbi is different from what I have learned. We never learned to snap our fists into position like that. Anyway, here it is:

http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148245/1783982

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The snapping fists in to position is something quite commonly (incorrectly) done over here in the UK.

I agree the rest of it looks very wing chun-esque which is surprising as I naturally association Kong Soo Do with Karate.

The placement of strikes is interesting too...

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a video clip of GM Dunn performing and explaining the basic 20 Hyung of Kong Soo Do, or at least his version. I don't know why but for some reason it doesn't really look like Kong Soo Do to me, but more like some sort of modified wing chun. I also don't really see any body weight transfer in the movements, just arm and leg power only. There are some front kicks and a side kick. Also the joonbi is different from what I have learned. We never learned to snap our fists into position like that. Anyway, here it is:

http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148245/1783982

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.

It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my instructor, GM Dunn, does an excellent job considering he has had lower back and shoulder surgery and is a cancer survivor. His range of motion has been restricted, but I still would not want him to get a hold of me and I'm his junior by 20 years.

And, I also think it is in very poor taste for Punnui to put this on the board when my instructor is not a member here to discuss the video. Particularly when Puunui has stated that it is just 'too much work' to email him directly. This is simply Punnui's way of trying to get back at me for challenging some of his positions.

It is childish and very unbecoming someone that claims to be a martial artist.

Reactions: ATC

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I think my instructor, GM Dunn, does an excellent job considering he has had lower back and shoulder surgery and is a cancer survivor. His range of motion has been restricted, but I still would not want him to get a hold of me and I'm his junior by 20 years.

And, I also think it is in very poor taste for Punnui to put this on the board when my instructor is not a member here to discuss the video. Particularly when Puunui has stated that it is just 'too much work' to email him directly. This is simply Punnui's way of trying to get back at me for challenging some of his positions.

It is childish and very unbecoming someone that claims to be a martial artist.

Mango Man, no one said it "sucked". Actually it was very informative. From reading Kong Soo Do's post, well, and the name Kong Soo Do, I imagined them practicing early Kong Soo Do (Karatedo), but it looks like something else.

Why are you embarrassed Kong Soo Do?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who said I was embarrassed? I actually said;

I think my instructor, GM Dunn, does an excellent job...

That isn't embarrassed.

But you missed the part where this is just Punnui's way of trying to further cause an issue. One which you are also doing as well. Do you think people here are so stupid as to not see it?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mango Man, no one said it "sucked". Actually it was very informative. From reading Kong Soo Do's post, well, and the name Kong Soo Do, I imagined them practicing early Kong Soo Do (Karatedo), but it looks like something else.

Oh yes, glenn's review reads as if he was sooo impressed with his GM Dunn's skills.

This thread serves absolutely no purpose other than to get a rise out of kong soo do and to expose GM Dunn as a poor example of what glenn and apparently you, al, thinks he should be.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Funny but you had no problems posting things from MT onto your own discussion board, including but not limited to things that I wrote, even though I am not a member of your discussion board. I would think you would be happy that the word is spreading about your organization and your curriculum. Also, why does GM Dunn have to be a member of MT to discuss it? As his designated successor, I am sure that you can explain the contents if anyone had any questions or comments. People post links to video or pictures all the time here. Obviously your organization worked hard to create that video for the world to see. Why else would you put it on the internet? Personally, I thought the video was interesting. If I didn't I wouldn't have posted it. I think you take offense where none was intended. Feel free to post any links to Kukki Taekwondo materials so we can discuss it if you wish. I don't mind and won't take offense. In fact, I welcome the opportunity to discuss any aspect of my chosen arts, whether it is history, technical, cultural, philosophical or anything else.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting. It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

Sounds like you have a low opinion of the video. I thought it was interesting, as was the idea that the "hyung" was not what we normally think of when we think of forms, but more of the Japanese explanation on koryu where a "kata" can be a prearranged sequence which does not have to be long. Looks more like what would normally be considered hoshinsul or one stepping sparring rather than a hyung. I would be interested in hearing why the term hyung was chosen, as opposed to hoshinsul or one step sparring. There was also a solo performance as well as a two man application performance.

I'm sorry that what you wrote was all that you got out of the video.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

As has been posted, MartialTalk is not the place to come to prove whether or not someone is legitimate. Nor is it the place to come if you want to grind axes and work on grudges.

Play nice. Stick to discussing the merits of the video, in this case, rather than trying to assess whether or not anyone's credentials are valid. And bury the hatchets -- somewhere other than each other's heads.

And if it happened on another forum, leave it there.

jks9199
Super Moderator.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Oh yes, glenn's review reads as if he was sooo impressed with his GM Dunn's skills.

This thread serves absolutely no purpose other than to get a rise out of kong soo do and to expose GM Dunn as a poor example of what glenn and apparently you, al, thinks he should be.

I don't think he needs you to defend him. 1. He's a big boy 2. No one is attacking him.

If KSD is embarrassed by the video, and you are embarrassed for him, oh well what can I say.

I only said it did not look like Kong Soo Do to me, if you don't like it, click the ignore tab.

Poomsaeguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you make a video you open yourself up to this type of thing! If you don't want to be critiqued then don't put yourself out there. By making videos or instructional type material you put yourself in the role of professional or expert. so you had better make sure that your 100% or you will hear about it. I do not know enough about this style to make a judgement.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would invite any MT member to the International Kong Soo Do Association open seminar in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on July 23 & 24. As our way of saying thank you for making the time to attend there is no charge for MT members :)

GM Dunn will be on hand, and on deck going over his basic 20 and will be open to all questions. This way he is able to go into more in-depth detail with those interested. I will be on hand as well and would be happy to go over the edged weapon defense principles that we use in L.E. and Corrections that has had excellent results. I will also be teaching various parts of the MSK form which differs from the basic 20. Be great to put faces with names.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would invite any MT member to the International Kong Soo Do Association open seminar in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on July 23 & 24. As our way of saying thank you for making the time to attend there is no charge for MT members :)

GM Dunn will be on hand, and on deck going over his basic 20 and will be open to all questions. This way he is able to go into more in-depth detail with those interested. I will be on hand as well and would be happy to go over the edged weapon defense principles that we use in L.E. and Corrections that has had excellent results. I will also be teaching various parts of the MSK form which differs from the basic 20. Be great to put faces with names.

Any other details? Actual location? The starting and ending times for each day? Webpage?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Facility: 4731 S.E. 29th Del City, Oklahoma 73115 (150+person facility w/padded floor)
Phone: 405.601.0639

Friday July 23rd beginning at 6pm
Saturday July 24th beginning at 9am

Exact schedule will be on the 'News & Views' page of the IKSDA website. :)

Latest Discussions