Giving it away

Do you give away techniques to outsiders

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll get the question that starts with, "One time (insert bad guy here) did this to me. What should I have done?" These are the times I'll teach a few simple moves and concepts. Demonstrating at a party won't happen... ;)

also, I tend to hang out with, well... bikers, so "showing off" is a quick way to find yourself "really fighting". Plus they almost always believe that a bar brawler is better than a martial artist, so I would get tons of those, "If you did that I'd just suck it up and do this..." kinda comments. My friends know what I do and we don't talk much about it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings All..

Do you sometimes give away little tastes of your discipline to those outside the MA community?? I have and do..The last person I showed a few moves was so impressed that the next time I saw him he was a 2nd Dan in Kempo..

I give away little bits here and there to those who ask and to those who show interest. :)

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I am not training, I am either at work or at home with the family. My wife cares very little for learning self-defense (she is one of those "it will never happen to me" people) and my kids are showing an interest in what I do. I like to work with them every chance I get showing them simple wrist escapes with the intention of building up to more complex techniques in the future.

At work, only a hand few of people know that I train and I like to keep it that way. Also, when going to and from the dojang, I wear regular street clothes, as not to attract attention. I don't want to make myself a target to those who want to show up martial artists, at the same time I keep an element of surprise for anyone who is intent on doing me or my family harm.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings All..

Do you sometimes give away little tastes of your discipline to those outside the MA community?? I have and do..The last person I showed a few moves was so impressed that the next time I saw him he was a 2nd Dan in Kempo..

I have. Usually this is only done for people who are showing a sincere interest.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a few people have said I do not tell people that I study, however I live in a small area and most people around here know that I have a small school. Going around demonstrating what you do without someone asking is just bragging and will attract unwanted responses.
If i am out away from my area I will never discuss the martial arts unless the subject is brought up or I am with other martial arts practitioners. If someone sees me practicing and asks I normally tell them I am a beginner and don’t know enough to tell or show them anything.
Now If I am asked what to do in any given circumstance I will usually give the simplest answer, as anything complicated will not work for those that do not train and is to hard to remember

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've given some pointers to my parents and a brother. Other than that? No, but I would if someone was really interested in learning.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have shown some things to people on occassion, but I have noticed that only other martial artists are actually interested. some people say they are but you can see it only lasts about a minute.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I am not training, I am either at work or at home with the family. My wife cares very little for learning self-defense (she is one of those "it will never happen to me" people) and my kids are showing an interest in what I do. I like to work with them every chance I get showing them simple wrist escapes with the intention of building up to more complex techniques in the future.

At work, only a hand few of people know that I train and I like to keep it that way. Also, when going to and from the dojang, I wear regular street clothes, as not to attract attention. I don't want to make myself a target to those who want to show up martial artists, at the same time I keep an element of surprise for anyone who is intent on doing me or my family harm.

I just went out in my dogi or Sanda [boxing] shirt/shorts. I know it's asking for trouble, but sometimes life is boring and one almost craves it, you know? For me, it was a statement. I'm going to do whatever I want, despite public opinions, because I am behind the steering wheel of my life. If anyone cares to deter me... Well... It's highly unrecommendable.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Infact, I was just asked to give a "Wushu" performance by my "school" in China. "I've never studied Wushu," I told them. "It doesn't matter," I was told. "So, let me get this straight... I show some kick **** moves and you tell everybody that it's Chinese Wushu? FORGET IT. This is a common occurence in a country whose people have no ideas about their own martial legacy.

Everytime I turn on the television there's some foreigner on selling their soul for the all powerful 元人民币 (Chinese money, and they are given a lot of it to act like idiots). They don't care because their family will never see it anyways and because they laugh all the way to the bank. But not as loud as the network executive that sits in the shadows and collects on another crowd-pleaser. Let them. In the meantime I'll be in the shadows too, dilligently practising for myself. Because in the end I am the one that should be benefitting - or why else would I do it?

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infact, I was just asked to give a "Wushu" performance by my "school" in China. "I've never studied Wushu," I told them. "It doesn't matter," I was told. "So, let me get this straight... I show some kick **** moves and you tell everybody that it's Chinese Wushu? FORGET IT. This is a common occurence in a country whose people have no ideas about their own martial legacy.

Happens over here too..People will say something to the effect that "You study Karate"..I tell them NO, it's Hapkido and their answer is something asinine like what you got...BUT let me mis-identify a firearm and they are in my face over it..Total ignorace..

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Happens over here too..People will say something to the effect that "You study Karate"..I tell them NO, it's Hapkido and their answer is something asinine like what you got...BUT let me mis-identify a firearm and they are in my face over it..Total ignorace..

True, but it's a little different because not only were they ignorant, but called everything Wushu with a bad nationalist attitude. It's all propaganda in China.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, but it's a little different because not only were they ignorant, but called everything Wushu with a bad nationalist attitude. It's all propaganda in China.

No disrespect intended..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I only show material to help those non martial artists who have a real interest in defending themselves or others. I will never demonstrate any of my material as a form of entertainment for non martial artists.

I can certainly appreciate that position.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm assuming that we are not talking about demos or marketing. I'll give anyone a month's free instruction at the drop of a hat.

If it's a social situation, like at a party, I'll do a big setup for it, then show someone how to bow. I tell them that's our most frequently used technique. I might then show them a weak-link release from a wrist grab, but that's about it.

Latest Discussions