"Gifts" from the MA's

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
A little while ago Terry posted a thread about where each of us would be without the MA's in our lives. My question is along the same lines.

What do you have in your lives that are a direct result of training in your MA?

Mine would be: More skill of course, More self confidence, My wife and our family, Great friends, and Closer family ties.
The first two are self explaining, the next few are not so clear if you don't know me. I had known my future wife as a close friend for several years before she started to train with me, she started going out with one of the BB's and it hit me like a brick, I didn't want to lose this woman who had become much more to me than just a friend. I risked my neck and asked her out while she was still seeing the BB, the rest is history. Great fiends that have come from years of training together and involvment outside the Dojo as well. Family ties because, the MA's have become a family venture.

The MA's have smiled down upon this simple man, and I feel blessed to be part of it. Another great thing the MA's have brought me is this forum, it has shown me that many different practitioners from many differing arts can come together in a friendly manner. Sure there are viewpoints from as far Left and as far Right as you can get, but, it stays on a mutually respectful playing field 99% of the time.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Without martial arts, I would not have the same profession, friends, goals and hobbies.

Couldn't survive without it. Literally

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MA have kept me safe working the streets...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The ability to strike fear in the heart of my fellow man :EG: :uhyeah:

But seriously, more confidence and for some reason I can hear Clint Eastwood saying “A mans got to know his limitations” and actually I feel MA has helped me there as well.

And I know there are many other things too but for some reason I can not think of them at the moment without getting silly and truly this is a very good question so I will refrain.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it brought self control and respecy for all those people and the joy of being able to give back what was so freely given to me.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
martial arts is my career.

my training (and my teachers) are directly responsible for who i am.

more concretely, martial arts has given me confidence, patience, a positive mindset towards problem solving.

most of my friends are martial artists.

i met my wife in a capoeira class.

the best thing that ever happened to me was the family i was born into.

the second best thing was my involvement in the martial arts.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the nice things about Martial arts is the friendship you make with positive people.

One of things one notice (as an Instructors) is? You become a role model forever one who knows you (in class and outside of class). By given this role, you know you are helping the young kids, teens and adults learn by your ACTIONS!

Alot of martial art schools becomes like a second family......Aloha

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i met my wife in a capoeira class.
There just aren't enough girls training BJJ, I gotta start training Capoeira I guess. ;)

My training is what keeps me in shape, without it I wouldn't be in near the (good) condition I am, I just couldn't stick with another routine.

It is also a hobby, and basicly a lot of fun. With out the release I get from it I would go nuts (or at least more so than I already am).

I meet people in my training I know I would never meet otherwise. I've seen cops and ex-felons training together, I meet Brazilians who stop through, I know a good number of the bouncers in town (could get into a lot of clubs free if I was into that kind of stuff), I meet parents that bring their kids, and I meet the kids that some day will be able to easlily kick my *** (so I get my licks in now :) ). All these people are cool, and I know I would have never met some of them had I not trained in the Martial Arts.

Then of course there is the fact that I can post on here on MT every once in a while and have enough background to fake it.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone and I am more physically fit than I ever have been before, I love to teach, and I feel I am better prepared for work. With all that said the one thing that tops it all would have to be confidence, to achieve at such a high level is one of my greatest accomplishments and gives me such a sense of purpose, yet like I have commented in some other threads a great sense of responsibility comes with that as well.

Latest Discussions