General Training

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to discuss martial arts training in general, specifically how often to train and the length of time you train. I've heard stories of people training 8 hours a day and I've even done that myself on occasion, however, Im not sure its necessarily the best way to train. First of all, you have to have the time to train 8 hours a day but aside from that, if you ask me it can be overdoing it, at least if you train 8 hours a day on a regular basis. Those that do train 8 hours a day, they might do it if they've got competition coming up but I don't think they would do it every day 365 days a year. The body and mind need time to rest and recover and overtraining can be detrimental. I've known of people who've really gotten into weightlifting and would lift weights for hours every day and as a result their progress would slow and in some cases they would even go backwards since they weren't getting the rest they needed. So training intensely for 8 hours a day might be a good thing to do every once in a while but probably not on a regular basis.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at 3 to 4 hours a week formal and another hour maybe informal. But you know I am in the military, run a sideline business, and have a family to look after. 8 hours a day seems extreme to me. I suppose if you were training for the olympics or something maybe.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Considering we are in the General Self Defense forum, discuss training for competitions or the Olympics makes no sense here.

As for training for self-defense, occupying oneself 8 hours a day with training seems exaggerated. Self-defense is to protect life, but if you train like that you'll hardly have a life to protect, lol. Training for self-defense should probably have a balance with the level of the threats you want to protect yourself from -- the more dangerous the threat, the more intense the training. Also, we must remember self-defense goes greatly beyond physical fighting. There's a saying (I don't remember the author) that I like that goes like this: "fighting is what you do when self-defense goes wrong".

However, I do believe you can occupy yourself several hours a day with your training, but just as long as you train in different aspects, with varying levels of physical intensity and even in very aspects with minor physical part. Now talking only about physical training, I believe you can have an intense schedule, but it's probably not so much better than a moderate one. I believe physical training 5 or 6 days a week from 1 and half an hour to 3 hours a day can produce great results (obviously as long as the student receives good instruction). But after all I think perhaps this discussion could be in another sub-forum of MT, not the General Self Defense one.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Use to train 2 to 3 hours a day 7 days a week....I also use to be 30 years old, single and worked second shift so I had absolutely nothing else to do.

Now I try and get 30 minutes to an hour a day (on rare occasions I get 1.5), 6 days a week, of training that includes treadmill, body-weight exercises, forms and some bag work and swimming one a week. However I do not always succeed... but then it is also over 20 years later and I am no longer single and I no longer work second shift

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Define training. I exercise rigorously 50-60 minutes 6 days a week; Cardio, strength, flexibility. This consists of roadwork, kettlebell training or heavy weight or body weight training, plyometric training, sledgehammer and tire flipping, and sprinting, along with heavy bag and speed bag work. At 59 I've slowed down in speed and strength but still work at it. I can still bench 300lbs, leg press 635lbs and can pump out 100 pushups. I'm 5'7" bounce between 155-160 lbs. I also do 1 hr of technical training in Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Kali, or Tai Chi 6 days a week along with instructing 2 - 3 classes 6 days a week. Some days I have a private or two and then there are seminars and workshops I instruct. I'm a gym rat, love being with people wanting to train strength or tone (we do not body build) as well as martial arts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I meant to post this in the General Martial Arts Talk folder but I accidentally posted it in the General Self Defense folder instead. Is there any way I cam move the threas?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Thread moved per request and because it's a better fit in the General Martial Arts forum.

jks9199
Asst. Admin

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally get between 4-5 hours of training in a week, sometimes a little more but with work and other family activities it can be rough. I've also heard stories of individuals training 8 hours a day and I think that like any other activity training that long every day can lead to burn out and actually set you back. Every individual is different and longer training sessions from time to time I think can be of benefit, but with the way society is now, it's very hard for the majority of martial artist to train for that length of time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach about 8 hours a week. That's not training, per se, except in the sense that teaching others affects our own understanding.
I train, on average, about an hour a day, but it's inconsistent. We commute an hour each way, and spend 12 hours in the ER, so I might not work out at all on the three days we work. I generally get about an hour of practice before classes, and on days that I'm not teaching I'll generally get 2-3 hours in.
We travel to dive destinations 2-3 times each year, and I'll admit I don't get much practice when we're on vacation. Mostly just diving and soaking up the sun. But I do have some video somewhere of me doing poomsae in about 40' of water. :rofl:

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am at 3 to 4 hours a week formal and another hour maybe informal. But you know I am in the military, run a sideline business, and have a family to look after. 8 hours a day seems extreme to me. I suppose if you were training for the olympics or something maybe.

If you're in the military than no doubt you're in excellent shape and part of your job involves training in martial arts, both with and without weapons as well as a good amount of exercise and calisthenics.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally get between 4-5 hours of training in a week, sometimes a little more but with work and other family activities it can be rough. I've also heard stories of individuals training 8 hours a day and I think that like any other activity training that long every day can lead to burn out and actually set you back. Every individual is different and longer training sessions from time to time I think can be of benefit, but with the way society is now, it's very hard for the majority of martial artist to train for that length of time.

Well people such as the Gracies Im sure train 8 hours a day.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're in the military than no doubt you're in excellent shape and part of your job involves training in martial arts, both with and without weapons as well as a good amount of exercise and calisthenics.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The closest I could think of training that much was a good friend who trained four hours a day and he was a drill sergeant. To train every day 8 hours requires a lot of dedication but not impossible. If you try to do that best of luck the only advice i can think of is make sure you have someone to spot you when you're lifting weights

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry thats just not true not even CLOSE to being true. I was in the Marines we had PT 3 days a week for like an hour. ZERO martial arts training, shot on the range a few times a year.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive gone to seminars and trained like 8 hours a day for like a weekend but normally few hours a week is all I get between work, kids, court, and other priorities.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I generally train 5hrs a week in actual Martial arts classes and then I try and fit in at least 30 mins a day in the comfort of my own home as well as throwing in at least 30 minutes of body weight exercises per day for good measure. Unfortunately what with work and other commitments, anymore than this just isn't possible.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No not really. Just because one serves does not mean they are in excellent physical condition or good with weapons.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much the only folks who consistently train 8 hours a day are high-level professionals. Even they take breaks from that level of training to avoid breaking their bodies down faster than they can heal.

I train about 10 hours per week, which is more than the average martial artist but not anywhere close to what the really high-level guys do.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training 8 hrs a day is not remotely realistic for most people. If you can show up for class three times a week you`re a dedicated student in my book.

My training schedule varies a lot but currently it is 4-5 hrs of training and 1hr instructing per week, well plus a lot of hiking.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's more important to blend your training into your daily life. For example:

- Hit your palm on your dinner table when you drink tea.
- Walk in a special footwork pattter on the street.
- Let your left hand to grip fight your right hand when you watch TV.
- Use your front toe push kick to open your door.
- Doing push up when you make love to your love one.

Latest Discussions