Pondering creative training.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Drop Bear asked a question, and got me thinking. When I was work today, I watched the clock and paid extra attention to what I was doing and for how long. At work, I practiced 3 different defensive techniques, for a total of 6 hours. I'm still planning to get my 2 hours of exercise and training in tonight. That's 8 hours just today. I've been slacking off this week, so probably not going to hit twenty unless I push myself. But then he mentioned the average guy trains 12 hours a week.

At first glace, I was a little shocked. 12 hours isn't slacking. Especially if you have a full time job, a family and school. I'm blessed with a job that allows me to train as I work. But even throughout the day, I try to find time to shadow box, or practice a technique or two with a door or wall or broomstick or whatever.

First question, how much time do you train each week?
Second, how often do you find creative ways of training?
Third, what are some examples of your creative training?

OP
L

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
What? There is only one use if the word and it is not important to the question at all. Its a bit of a misquote, less then 12, is better. But, still has nothing whatsoever to do with anything pertinent to the question. Maybe if I get some time later I'll drop a few examples myself. But busy today, won't be back until after midnight. Then its an early morning. So tomarrow afteroon at the earliest.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
...At work, I practiced 3 different defensive techniques, for a total of 6 hours...
Do you mean you practiced 3 different defensive techniques for six hours straight? During work? That's more than I do in two-three days!
until recently, for around two-four hours straight each day, not including working out. I am just getting over sickness and an injury so I am working my way back up. I don't tend to set my goal in time as much as in making sure I have practiced all my techniques, and forms, every week, along with various drills that I learn at class. So how long I train depends on how long it takes to get it all done.
from time to time.
depends on the day. I was at my youth leaders house, and, off some impulse, did a fixed stance lunge punch while standing next to him. He looked at me for a second, blinked, than went back to what he was doing. Another time I was at church after family night, and I started doing spinning hook kicks. after doing this for about five minutes, I looked around and was like "Hey, there are people here.". There was only a few people, but they didn't really know me, so I wonder what they were thinking "Hey look, some random dude is kicking the air. that happens every day.". Not sure if that's you meant by creative ways of training, but I am creative in the places I find to train. :p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drop Bear asked a question, and got me thinking. When I was work today, I watched the clock and paid extra attention to what I was doing and for how long. At work, I practiced 3 different defensive techniques, for a total of 6 hours. I'm still planning to get my 2 hours of exercise and training in tonight. That's 8 hours just today. I've been slacking off this week, so probably not going to hit twenty unless I push myself. But then he mentioned the average guy trains 12 hours a week.

At first glace, I was a little shocked. 12 hours isn't slacking. Especially if you have a full time job, a family and school. I'm blessed with a job that allows me to train as I work. But even throughout the day, I try to find time to shadow box, or practice a technique or two with a door or wall or broomstick or whatever.

If you don't make me me asking, what do you do for a living that allows you to train on the clock? How do you train on the clock?

Do you do demolition and you're able to knock down walls with kicks?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic. That's not my intent.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As with others, I wonder how you can spend 6 hours of your work day training and not be looking for a new job.

Personally:
On the days I work, I don't train at all. I work 12 hour shifts in the ER. An hour commute each way. I get up, I go to work, I go home, usually eating in the car, sleep and get up to do it all over again.
On my days off, I spend about an hour a day, typically, on my own training. I usually spend 9-10 hours a week teaching, which is also one form of training. I'll spend a couple hours more each week in private lessons (which really means working with my wife and kids on their training).

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
As an average person who enjoys MA but also has some other interests, job, family with two young kids etc, I take 2-3 classes a week. On top of that I'm at the gym before work for about an hour for five days. Three of these are spent on strength training and two of these are spent on bag work. That is really all I can manage right now. Maybe once the kids are older I can train more but by then my body might not want to anymore.

I am not very creative (yet)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am hoping that my place of employment is going to follow through on their commitment to build an employee gym this year. If so, I'll work out at lunch daily if I can.

Currently train twice a week, but that's assisting with teaching kids and student in adult class - 5pm to 9:30pm.

I work out as I have time at home. Bit of this, bit of that. Think about martial arts constantly, it dominates my life.

I do kata in the shower. I practice footwork everywhere. I dream of people fighting me.

And as General Mattis said, I am polite, I am professional, and I have a plan about how to kill everyone I meet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I work out as I have time at home. Bit of this, bit of that. Think about martial arts constantly, it dominates my life.

Constantly, forever, and then some. And it never goes away!

We probably need help.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Constantly, forever, and then some. And it never goes away!

We probably need help.

Probably. I am glad I am not the only one, though.

I found myself dreaming the other night about one simple thing. I had been practicing my otoshigeri (similar to but not identical with a mawashigeri) on the Wavemaster and I was in a good groove. Pulled the toes back and sank the ball of the foot right up to the center post inside the foam surrounding, snapped back without the bag tipping over.

That feeling in the ball of the foot when you land the kick right is just like the feeling when you throw a perfect spiral with a football and it sails off forever, or when you hit a baseball with the sweet spot on the bat just right and the ball just explodes off the bat towards the outfield bleachers. You feel that impact with the ball of the foot, right behind the big toe, and man, it's sweet. Just lived that over and over again in my dream.

That has to be some kind of wrong.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mentioned baseball. Ever watch a batter's initial move when he hits the ball? Watch the feet. What you'll see is the first foot to move - usually moves backwards away from first base. Maybe that applies to fighting, or at least blitzing to close distance?

Sorry to wreck your day. And watching baseball. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm in the dojo 2-3 nights a week (including Saturday morning). Since my hours got cut at work, I hit a Wavemaster XXL for an hour or so 3-4 afternoons a week.

I'd love to get to the dojo more often, but life gets in the way - a 5 year old and 3 year old will do that to you. Add in a wife, and I'm surprised I actually get to the dojo at all. My 5 year old started training at our dojo a few months ago, so it's been a bit easier to justify going. Being a school teacher, the summer is great; I get into the dojo far more and don't have the guilt of not helping with homework, baths before bed, get the kids to sleep at a reasonable hour, etc.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned baseball. Ever watch a batter's initial move when he hits the ball? Watch the feet. What you'll see is the first foot to move - usually moves backwards away from first base. Maybe that applies to fighting, or at least blitzing to close distance?

Sorry to wreck your day. And watching baseball. :)
It's a trigger step. Some arts feature it, as well. It let's you essentially generate a "full speed/full power" first step... at the cost of that split second of rearward energy/stepping. Pros and cons...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the dojo 2-3 nights a week (including Saturday morning). Since my hours got cut at work, I hit a Wavemaster XXL for an hour or so 3-4 afternoons a week.

I'd love to get to the dojo more often, but life gets in the way - a 5 year old and 3 year old will do that to you. Add in a wife, and I'm surprised I actually get to the dojo at all. My 5 year old started training at our dojo a few months ago, so it's been a bit easier to justify going. Being a school teacher, the summer is great; I get into the dojo far more and don't have the guilt of not helping with homework, baths before bed, get the kids to sleep at a reasonable hour, etc.

I can relate to that. I started MA with my kids and while my daughter has since quit, my son still goes with me (well, I make him :p). It would be way more difficult to go if the kid wasn't involved.

I do hope though that SWMBO has by now realized that MA is important to me and would let me figure out how to train even if the kids quits at some point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that my place of employment is going to follow through on their commitment to build an employee gym this year. If so, I'll work out at lunch daily if I can.

Currently train twice a week, but that's assisting with teaching kids and student in adult class - 5pm to 9:30pm.

I do kata in the shower. I practice footwork everywhere. I dream of people fighting me.

And as General Mattis said, I am polite, I am professional, and I have a plan about how to kill everyone I meet.
This is more like me (and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that last quote is "normal").

I don't do much active training in the traditional sense, aside from when I'm teaching (I get to participate, since I have only a few students). I have no training space at home, and no flat ground, either. However, I constantly work on my movement, weight shifts, relaxation, awareness, and other aspects. I spent an entire year paying attention to how I used my weight when opening doors. Before my knees stopped my distance running, I used to try different weight shifts and such during long runs. I practice controlling the center on my 80-lb dog when she wants to get in my lap. I practice hand movements when I play with her. I randomly use controlled kicks to turn on lights, close/open doors. I control my weight every time I sit down. Since I don't do much separate training, I try to turn much of my life into training time. I miss the years when I had lots of partners handy and could spend 15-20 hours a week training at the dojo if I wanted to.