Gatka (?)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I came across this website for a martial art called Gatka. It is supposedly a MA practiced by the Sikhs. Anybody ever heard of or seen this stuff before?

http://www.warriorsaints.com/intro/

History of Gatka

The exact beginnings of Gatka are not clear. What is clear is that it emerged formally from its original birthplace in northern India during the times of the 6th Guru of the Sikhs, Guru Hargobind Sahib (early 1600s), who learnt and instructed his Sikhs to learn the martial art. However, Gatka existing long before then. Some have said that Gatka is the original grandparent of all modern martial arts which came out of northern India towards China.

The Sikhs mastered Gatka and perfected its use in battle. Many hundreds, if not thousands, of battles were decisively won by the Sikhs, despite almost always numbering far fewer than the opposing forces. The techniques within Gatka were combined with the spiritual practices of the Sikhs to create a perfect fighting system. Opposing forces are documented to have cursed the awesome Warrior Saints that the Sikhs were! The Sikhs actively used Gatka in warfare for over 200 years, until they finally enjoyed peace under their own rule, free from persecution from the power-hungry Mughals who rested only when they were defeated. Since then, Gatka has been passed down as a tradition amongst the Sikh generations. With the emigration of Sikhs to western countries such as the UK, Gatka has grown again in the hearts and minds of the new generation of Sikhs. Now, in the 21st century, western martial artists are slowly beginning to recognise and enquire about Gatka. Such interest has forced the need for websites such as WarriorSaints.com to educate the world about the formidable art of Gatka.
The longest video clip has some interesting footage of what appear to be full/semi contact weapon fighting with no protective gear.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, I have heard of it. The Sikhs are not joke...at least historically speaking. From what I have read....tough SOB's in ways that most of the Modern Western world wouldn't understand.

It was pretty cool to see the art in motion. Thanks for the link Tom...

Paul

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Sikhs were largely a warrior class. As a matter of fact, most of the precepts of Sikhism are based on military concepts and being constantly prepared for battle. I am not surprised in the least that they would have their own documented fighting system.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great link good website nice info.
Need to find more info. pretty interesting to me atleast
Terry Lee Stoker

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen the art represented at a martial arts expo (SENI '04 in Birmingham). I missed the demonstration, but the kit looked pretty impressive - big blue turbans and amazing weapons with multiple blades and so on.

Sikhism is probably the only major religion that has truly integrated the martial arts with its spiritual culture. Along with a comb, long hair and a bangle, and something I've forgotten, Sikhs have to carry a Kirpan or sword/dagger.

My mate working in Police custody has a little tray of plastic Kirpans that they swap for the real thing when taking Sikhs into custody. In the UK you are only legally entitled to carry a blade for self defence if you are a Sikh. Most choose to carry ceremonial versions though.

I find Sikhs to be generally nice people. Their warrior tradition, combined with their belief in equality, is a pretty healthy combination in my opinion.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bod said:
Sikhism is probably the only major religion that has truly integrated the martial arts with its spiritual culture. Along with a comb, long hair and a bangle, and something I've forgotten, Sikhs have to carry a Kirpan or sword/dagger.

The fourth one is a traditional type of underwear, like boxer briefs, that's designed to be flexible and durable. Combat underwear, so to speak.

Latest Discussions