• Other (not listed above)

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what languages are represented by all of you (ranging from bare minimum to expert) and whether that language is part of your MA training or just simply spoken under other circumstances besides your training (such as employment).

Is this your primary language? Is the primary language used with your martial arts training? If you know another language, do you also use the second language as part of your martial arts training?

If the language you know is not listed, just select "Other" and post what it is.

- Ceicei

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some French and Italian. My daughter wanted to learn ASL (no deep reason why) so we're working on that together.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
English, Spanish, and French

Spanish I picked up in school and through my mom. French was taught to me by my dad. English is what I speak at home and just about everywhere.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm semi-fluent in Japanese, which I learned while living in Japan as an exchange student. I also speak Italian, a result of having lived in Italy for 3 years, and Spanish, a requirement for my high school. I used to be pretty good at the latter two, though I'm in need of a refresher. I use my knowledge of Japanese with kendo. It helps because I'm never lost when the sensei/senpai say something, plus I have a second-level knowledge of the terminology since I know what the words break down to.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I speak English and use American Sign Language (I'm deaf). I know very basic Spanish (mostly because of my work and writing letters to Spanish speaking clients). The first two, I use in my everyday life, including martial arts. The last one is strictly whenever needed at work only. Fortunately, I do have Spanish speaking co-workers, so they do save me from embarrassment in proof-reading my correspondence.

Half of my family speak Swedish (my mom is Swedish and she met my dad in Sweden before they married in USA). My brother and brother-in-law worked for a while in Sweden also. I never learned enough to communicate in Swedish other than by word recognition.

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, CC! Cool thread.

I speak English, I was fluent in Spanish until I graduated from high school and lost all my hispanic friends - now I am barely functional in it.

I used some ASL with my oldest son to help get him to talk, but slowly withdrew that in favor of speech.

My style is Korean and I struggle and butcher Korean horribly and only use the terms I use in training.

My youngest son wants to and is learning Spanish, so refreshing that will be nice, my daughter has a friend who is deaf and another friend who is fluent in ASL, so she comes home with stuff I never learned. And it would be very nice to speak Korean because it's such a challenge for me.

J

jkdhit

english - second language
chinese - first language
japanese - learned some in martial arts and took a college course
italian - took 2 years in hs and 2 semesters in college
spanish - took 4 years in hs
korean - learned some in martial arts and some in korea

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
English -1

Hebrew -2
Korean - 3

In only a little Korean
Terry Lee Stoker

J

Jaymeister

My primary language is Danish, and I'm fluent in English. I learned some German in school, but I don't remember much of it anymore. I've also learned a little Turkish from some friends.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Primary - English
Secondary - (really rusty) Spanish

I know some Korean from school, but only words not phrases, so I didn't count it.

T

TonyM.

American English, Louisiana French, ASL, some Cantonese, some Mandarin.

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Languages are fascinating! When I was in high school, I took the time to study the basics of many languages. I am a native English speaker. I have studied American Sign Language for about 8 years, and have many deaf friends that I communicate with and interpret for. I am also a student of Spanish. I have studied Japanese quite a bit, but have not used it for the last few years, so have forgotten much (although I can still read hiragana!). I also study New Testament Greek - now there's a fascinating language!

Great poll - it's interesting to see other's language interests.

Salute,
JB

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
english, obviously

my spanish is alright, I can usually make myself understood, but understanding what is said to me is about a 50/50 shot.

shoot, I forgot to vote 'other' for latin. I have a threadbare knowledge of it from highschool. Although you don't really speak it, its for translating mostly.
I liked it because as long as you get the tenses correct it doesnt matter what order you shove the words in.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I try my best not to butcher the English language in which I speak therefore I have a hard enough time just to get that right. :)

D

Drifter

English, Spanish (Only one year of it so far, but I aced the course), German (can say the usual pleasantries, but am also taking that next year), Hebrew (Some of the prayers, coming from a Jewish background).

I'm surprised with the high amount of FMA players on the board that Tagalog isn't an option.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first language is English
Obviously though, I speak fluent Danish since I have lived here for some time now (self taught but to high school equivalent standard)
I learned quite a bit of Spanish whilst living in Spain for a couple of years, but that is becoming more and more rusty through lack of use
I also learned French and German in school, but don't remember much more than the bare essentials

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I speak english obviously. But I did learn some spanish back in the day. But didn't use it for years, so I forgot most of it. The same with ASL. Eventhough my honey and I say a few words to each other in sign language that I taught him (the few words that I did remember that is LOL).

I'm currently trying not to butcher the Korean language (I'm trying my best to learn it little by little) LOL. I use Korean for MA, and I would like to be fluent in the language itself .... someday LOL

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
English - Primary and Native

French - High School

Japanese - enough to be polite and wonder around by myself with friendly Japanese

I learned some sign language when I managed.

Latest Discussions