Gary Gygax Dead at 69.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Beat me to it... I remember playing it as well... as a Paladin... it was fun. Now there's dozens of computer versions ... the guy really started something.
:asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
wow. I think I was about 5 or 6 when I started playing, with the original set. That would have been about 1976 or so. I remember when the Advanced Set came out. It seemed so much more complicated at that time.

RIP.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a sad day for nerds everywhere. I sometimes wish I still had a life that would allow me 20 hours per week of AD&D.

I wonder if my autographed mint condition Dungeon Master's Guide will be worth anything now?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a sad day for nerds everywhere. I sometimes wish I still had a life that would allow me 20 hours per week of AD&D.

I wonder if my autographed mint condition Dungeon Master's Guide will be worth anything now?

Big red demon on the cover? According to ebay, about a buck. :D

'Tis a sad day indeed for people searching for over powered characters and under powered monsters, of dungeons that are filled with evil critters, but whose only exit is covered in grey ooze. Giants that are twice as tall as the hero fighters but hit half as hard. Ah, those were the good old days. :D

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Usually the passing of someone i don't know isn't very upsetting, but I will mourn the person who created the series of games I have loved for over 15 years and will continue to love until I, too, in time shall fail my own Last Great Fortitude Save.
Next time you roll a D20, do it for GARY!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I absolutely and completely agree, Andy.

Why the games came to be seen as nerdy I'll never know - perhaps because you have to be a touch on the bright side to create and play? Then again, I once ran a game for a group of 'rough' sorts (those people who've seen life from the wrong side of some bars) and they loved it too.

All you need is imagination and Gary sparked that for millions.

Not a bad legacy for a man don't you think?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why the games came to be seen as nerdy I'll never know - perhaps because you have to be a touch on the bright side to create and play?

All you need is imagination and Gary sparked that for millions.

Not a bad legacy for a man don't you think?

full agreement here. I thought the game was the coolest thing ever created. I had no idea I was being such a nerd. But then again, I could never understand why my friends couldn't get thru the Lord of the Rings either. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with them...

None of the other role playing games built upon the same model quite did it for me either. Something about the original D&D and it's elaborate follow-ups that really captivated the imagination. But I just couldn't get the same "feeling" from the others, like Top Secret, or Boot Hill, or Villians and Vigilantes and such, the stuff that came later.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
full agreement here. I thought the game was the coolest thing ever created. I had no idea I was being such a nerd. But then again, I could never understand why my friends couldn't get thru the Lord of the Rings either. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with them...

None of the other role playing games built upon the same model quite did it for me either. Something about the original D&D and it's elaborate follow-ups that really captivated the imagination. But I just couldn't get the same "feeling" from the others, like Top Secret, or Boot Hill, or Villians and Vigilantes and such, the stuff that came later.
I remember my oldest brother used to play in the RPG games known as Jutland, and Tobruk, games that could grow to be so large that they could cover an entire basketball court ... especially the sea-war-games. So how nerdy is that?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have played the game he created form the day it hit the shelves.

May he rest in peace

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started playing sometime around 1981, first as a player and later as a dungeon master. I had lots of hours of enjoyment. I am sad at his passing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotta admit; I played D&D (and others) when I was younger. Unfortunately, I had some friends who kind of got more wrapped up in fantasy than the real world... This led me to stop playing many years ago.

That said -- I had lots of fun hours spent playing on either side of the DM's screen...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$ultimate_game.png
from xkcd.com