g.i.joe rise of cobra : snake eyes vs storm shadow fight sequence is sick !

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I recall the Mobile Infantry had suits that allowed them to insert from orbit (though their was somesort of ablative reentry vehicle that aided in that), jump hundreds of meters with the aid of some sort of booster (hence the term "mobile"), have combinations of flamethrower, slug thrower, and a grenade launching rack on the back that launched different things including mini-nukes. It was heavy enough that if the energy source quit, the infantryman couldn't move on his own. Pretty different than what was shown in the trailer.

yeah, that's true. Of course you never know what liberties are taken when a book gets translated into a movie.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bad movie in my opinion. Ripped off tons of movies. Anyone see the day the Earth stood still with Keanu Reeves with the little metal eating bugs? Yep G.I.Joe took it too. To many movie cliche' too much bad acting like Cobra commander and Destro running out holding each other like a married couple. To many one liners(like the guy who gets blown up in the Airplane/Helicoptor in the first 15 mins of the movie.
I accept the fact that pretty much everything is a copy of something else. How many movies and books ripped off Star Trek and Star Wars? And how many movies and/or books did Rodenberry and Lucas rip off?

As for the cliches and such? Movie based on a kids toy and kids cartoon. Target audience unlikely to care. I doubt that most kids would notice the acting (it was subpar, but not completely awful) and likely to actually like the cliches and one liners. In all, it was better than the first Mission Impossible movie and compared to that Avengers movie in the ninties, GI Joe was Shakespean theatre.

Apparently, the comic mentioned by Omar did not factor into the writing. The cartoon seemed to be the main (possibly only) source.

Snake eyes in Japan but they did not speak Japanese and going from the city to some mystical temple was laughable.
Universal translator for the public's benefit. But I agree; those scenes should have been subtitled.

The Baroness is a skank. She sleeps with Duke,Sleeps with Storm Shadow.Marries some doctor guy other guy(sleeps with him most likely) Sleeps with Destro.
Mind control; Cobra made her do it.

On a side note, I still could not get over Destro going from a fairly bulky guy with a chrome head and a deep voice to a skinny Scot with a decided tenor voice.

At least Zartan did not look like Peter Chris.:p

Daniel

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I saw on the trailers, it looks like they "borrowed" the concept of the battle suits that the soldiers wore in Starship Troopers. gives them the ability to jump and travel very quickly, carry all kinds of weapons, etc. Would you agree, from seeing the movie, or is my impression inaccurate?

Exo-suits are under development for the U.S. military. While the first ones will probably be for material handling, a battle-application can't be far behind.:

Exo suit :

Attachments

• $340x_roboteranzug_cyberdyne1.jpg
    $340x_roboteranzug_cyberdyne1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 111

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I accept the fact that pretty much everything is a copy of something else. How many movies and books ripped off Star Trek and Star Wars? And how many movies and/or books did Rodenberry and Lucas rip off?

As for the cliches and such? Movie based on a kids toy and kids cartoon. Target audience unlikely to care. I doubt that most kids would notice the acting (it was subpar, but not completely awful) and likely to actually like the cliches and one liners. In all, it was better than the first Mission Impossible movie and compared to that Avengers movie in the ninties, GI Joe was Shakespean theatre.

Apparently, the comic mentioned by Omar did not factor into the writing. The cartoon seemed to be the main (possibly only) source.

Universal translator for the public's benefit. But I agree; those scenes should have been subtitled.

Mind control; Cobra made her do it.

On a side note, I still could not get over Destro going from a fairly bulky guy with a chrome head and a deep voice to a skinny Scot with a decided tenor voice.

At least Zartan did not look like Peter Chris.:p

Daniel
Which is why Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 37% BECAUSE THE MOVIE SUCKED!! You liked a crappy movie good for you!! I like the majority thought it sucked.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

Why don't you read the reviews so you can see why everyone thinked it sucked!!

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
in the cartoon series wasnt destro above cobra in leadership ?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Associate of mine was approached by Hasbro to do some PR work for the film, he runs one of the largest GI Joe fan sites. Turned them down over concerns the movie would suck.
Personal opinions of how something will or will not turn out shouldn't interfere with a sizable paycheck. Your friend was wrong in turning them down. Money is money in this recession.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Daniel, Let me clear something up man. Though the name of the property GI Joe comes from a toy, the story, all the characters and pretty much everything that came after kung fu grip was based on an incredible series written by Larry Hama. The cartoon was laughably bad compared to the comics, in fact I could point out several plots, story elements, uses of tech that popped up later int he works of Clancy and Dale Brown.

Reducing GI Joe to that cartoon, is like reducing Batman to the Adam West TV series. There is a resemblance, but it's not "it."

G.I. Joe the comic was awesome and semi realistic from issue 5 to about 40, and then the shark got jumped.

Issue #19 Silent Intrude, was one of the best comics ever and made Snake Eyes my #1 hero as a kid.

I saw the movie and liked it, my 7 year old fell in love with GI Joe and has been reading the comics I have left.

I wish they kept Snake Eyes as a war vet who lost everything, went to a war buddies "Family Business" became a Ninja, lost that family because of an aparrent betrayel. Joins G I Joe and then is disfiguerd and reneder mute trying to save the woman he loved.

He was a cursed man, the deadlies good man alive yet he was disfigured, mute and would not allow a woman who loved him too closer, because he felt she deserved better.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Personal opinions of how something will or will not turn out shouldn't interfere with a sizable paycheck. Your friend was wrong in turning them down. Money is money in this recession.

Nehh...being tied to a project that's a dog can often be death to PR people; that's what's called a business decision.

Though you're probably right.....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, that's true. Of course you never know what liberties are taken when a book gets translated into a movie.
That movie didn't have much more in common with the book that it was named after than buglike aliens, soldiers, and a few names in common. Some slight resemblance in the general plot line (kid enlists almost by accident and rises to become platoon leader...)

GI Joe? I still think back to the GI Joe Adventure Team I grew up with... not the GI Joe of the tv series.

Last edited:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still haven't seen it. I was the biggest GI Joe fan ever ( A real american hero version). I still have all the comics from #1 to 155. Snake eyes hit just in time for me as I was also into the ninja thing then. So it was easy to love stormshadow and snake eyes. I'm scared it will ruin how i remembered it and i will be dissappointed. Kind of like teenage mutant ninja turtles did. The graphic novels were AWESOME. then they turned it into a silly cartoon and movie based more toward smaller kids. Im not saying they did the same with GI Joe, but just saying TMNT ruined the original feelings when it went mainstream. When i mention TMNT people instantly thing of the childrens version. what a let down. Scared this will be a let down to me too.

As for the mobile suits... dont forget, there was Robo tech and exosquad also that had them. Gundam and Robo tech were my favorites. the motor cycles (cyclones) that turned into suits were the best i thought.

Last edited:
OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah robo tech was the shiznit , wonder if they got something in production with that ? i liked the new star trek so if its something along the lines of that ill be cool with it :)