What's your favorite part of class?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Practicing the SD techniques is important, but I live for punching drills. It's funny how that was the part of training that was my weakest point last year, and now it's my favorite training activity.

What do you enjoy most about your time in MA training?

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its changed a few times over the years and I'm sure it will in the years ahead but, I love the conditioning portion. I emphasize conditioning a lot with my students so there is weight training and running intermixed with the rest of class and it remains my favorite.

Well, right behind sparring.

Mark

P.S. What sort of punching drills are you doing that you are enjoying so much?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anything but groundfighting and conditioning. Probably in this order (depending on my mood): sparring, kata, techniques, self defense. Sparring and kata switch back and forth.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I will say from an instructor stand point it is watching my son and daughter spar.

From a student perspective it is a toss up between weapons training and sparring.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
P.S. What sort of punching drills are you doing that you are enjoying so much?

Different combinations hitting the pads with a partner, jab-cross-hook-uppercut, etc, with bobs and weaves thrown in. It's based on boxing. I dont' know if it's really helped my sparring much, but it's great cardio and a lot of fun when the instructors call out random combinations.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really appreciate kata/forms practice. To me, that is where the real essence of the system lies, and where you find the defining and signature techniques. It develops your base and technique structure, and can also be a tremendous benefit to your cardio development.

I hadn't really thought of this until this moment, but kata is also a link to the practitioners of the past. Kata/forms were created by people. They weren't handed down by the gods. So somebody created those forms that we practice. It's interesting that some of them have been passed down for quite a few generations.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how hard and how sore I am from the workout, end of class is the best! Haha

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love that sore feeling after a good workout and practice session. It makes me think "I accomplished something today!" :bangahead:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The camaraderie of the class is first.
Sparring, some of the goofier drills, i.e., Sifu stands in the center of the circle and swings his staff around high and we duck, low and we hop, etc.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Practicing the SD techniques is important, but I live for punching drills. It's funny how that was the part of training that was my weakest point last year, and now it's my favorite training activity.

What do you enjoy most about your time in MA training?

Hello,
The one on one spontanuous training with a partner. Kata practice would be a close second for me. Of course the "good old" technique line is a favorite as well.
Thank you,
Milt G.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
The water break.

Actually I enjoy the stretching/warm up the most because it's where I change my mental thought process and forget everything that happened up to that point, all my problems, everything that's annoyed me that day, and just think about training.

It's also the only part of the training session that makes my body feel good, as opposed to feeling like I'm about to fall apart by the end of the session.

Latest Discussions