FTF

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judging by the standard of forms he demonstrated in earlier videos, I find both of those claims highly questionable...this is not the way 4th Dans should be moving IMO.

It's not just a question of how a 4th dan should be moving. What I want to know is why someone who claims to be a 4th dan from the ITF has no understanding of the body mechanics of that style. The manner in which he steps is wrong, the shifting of his feet in between steps is something you're not supposed to do, the way he prepares for blocks is wrong, the way he prepares for punching is wrong, he creates a saw-tooth wave while stepping since he doesn't properly flex his knee while stepping (which is something Gen. Choi specifically points out in the encyclopedia as being wrong), the way he comes to chumbi seogi is wrong.

It's almost as if he has no background in ITF Taekwon-Do at all...

Pax,

Chris

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...the shifting of his feet in between steps is something you're not supposed to do...

1. I was wondering about that. Many times when he steps or turns, he shuffles both feet through the step, rather than pivoting on one leg and stepping with the other. I know in Kukkiwon-style that wouldn't fly, but I was wondering if maybe ITF-style was less strict about something like that.

2. I'm glad the chambering was pointed out as well. Again, I don't know ITF-style, but I've seen enough Chon-Ji to recognize the "two forearms crossed in front of you" chamber for the Low Block.

latest

In our Kukkiwon-style school, we chamber for Low Blocks by aiming the off-arm forward and the blocking arm on the collar.

latest

This chamber in this video though looks like a "bear hug" chamber and I hadn't seen it before. I assumed it must be some sort of school-specific chamber? I wonder where he picked it up?

latest

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judging by the standard of forms he demonstrated in earlier videos, I find both of those claims highly questionable...this is not the way 4th Dans should be moving IMO.

I n fairness to this guy part of the movement is to try and show someone a practice method. It is also likely that he is performing how he was taught and according to that standard it may or may not be a good performance.

However it is very sad if:
1. He thinks this is performed to the ITF technical standard. and / or
2. He knows it is not an ITF standard but is intentional attempting to fool the unwar.y

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. I was wondering about that. Many times when he steps or turns, he shuffles both feet through the step, rather than pivoting on one leg and stepping with the other. I know in Kukkiwon-style that wouldn't fly, but I was wondering if maybe ITF-style was less strict about something like that.

The shuffle is wrong. Part of a long list of what is wrong.

martialartstutor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you all for your responses and thoughts on the FTF.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the bashing I did on martial arts. My earlier videos were sparked by more anger and disgust with the TKD system becuase of how my instructor and his fellow instructors showcased it. What's more is that despite years looking for better schools, I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

I've been doing martial arts for over 15 years, and in my experience I developed a strong passion for teaching Taekwondo and wanted to use the similar structure (belt progressions, uniform, terminology) to teach a more practical form of martial arts. I have seen some of the value of TKD in my mma experience, but I would say it wouldn't have been possible until I developed a stronger boxing and wrestling foundation.

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

In my new federation (and yes, I'm calling out the other federations impractical) there will be no forms, only sparring application and self defense. Similar to burton richardson's jkd unlimited, or daido juku karate-do (kudo). The problem with forms is that they are the very standard for testing and I find them a great waste of time in my opinion.

There are many other people who support my ideas, so believe me when I tell you that I've heard all the naysayers say this federation won't work out. I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically. I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world. Even if that means offering current practioners a new practical curriculum they can impliment in their schools.

No kid blackbelts. No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What a lot of hot air.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
J

justkool141

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
FTF = Failing Taekwondo federation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
(looking at the posts) It didn't take long for that mountain that he has to climb to get higher.

mkxkunglao12345

White Belt
Reaction score
FTF is what Ive been waiting for! I dont want to be a dancer, i want to learn how to fight using only the legit stuff from FTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

Then why not teach one of those other things, rather than inventing a new martial art?

And since you are inventing a new martial art, why call it taekwondo? Isn't that name already taken?

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? ...You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

First of all, there's a difference between criticizing and critiquing.

Secondly, the question was about your credentials. No offense, but how did you get to be 4th dan without learning the movements?

In my new federation

It's not a federation until it has multiple schools as members. Right now it's just an idea for a federation. A concept. A gleam in your eye. A nascent dream waiting to take flight.

It also doesn't have a curriculum yet, which one would think would be the first order of business? I mean, it's not like General Choi spent a couple years in Malaysia contemplating what the logo should look like: he spent that time developing a curriculum.

I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

As previously noted, I admire your passion and I wish you luck. But it's not a federation until you have schools as members. Right now you have individuals who like your idea, not schools who are members.

I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

"We're going to have a curriculum, okay? I'm going to get all the smartest black belts in a room for a month and I'm going to tell them: develop a curriculum. I already have an idea for a curriculum, but I don't want to give it away, okay? Maybe I'll like their idea for a curriculum, or maybe I'll like mine. But it'll be huge. It'll be the best curriculum. All the best techniques. And I'm going to have many schools as members, all the best schools. Everybody is saying so..."

donald-trump-short-fingered-vulgarian-fingers-bruce-handy-ss13.jpg

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

My criticism of your performance of Chon-Ji was to point out that you have not the slightest grasp of the body mechanics underlying Gen. Choi's system. Why you claim to be a 4th dan in the ITF I do not know. If I had to hazard a guess from viewing your video and from the quoted statement above I'd say your instructor wasn't a member of the ITF himself and had only learned some of Gen. Choi's patterns and taught them without changing anything he learned in karate.

Far from being a critique of your "dancing" my comments were a critique of your body mechanics. This may prove to be important if you need to defend yourself some day.

How long were you in the ITF? Did you ever get a chance to train with any of Gen. Choi's senior students? Since you've only been training for 15 years I presume you didn't have an opportunity to train with him. Which ITF group did you get certified through?

In my new federation (and yes, I'm calling out the other federations impractical) there will be no forms, only sparring application and self defense. Similar to burton richardson's jkd unlimited, or daido juku karate-do (kudo). The problem with forms is that they are the very standard for testing and I find them a great waste of time in my opinion.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world. Even if that means offering current practioners a new practical curriculum they can impliment in their schools.

Speaking personally, I wasn't offended by your plan to form a new federation. More power to you, in fact. But if you weren't actually certified by the ITF please don't say that you were. Many people who learn some of the Chang Hun tul but were never part of the ITF say they are "ITF Taekwon-Do" but lack understanding of Gen. Choi's actual style.

Pax,

Chris

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the bashing I did on martial arts. My earlier videos were sparked by more anger and disgust with the TKD system becuase of how my instructor and his fellow instructors showcased it. What's more is that despite years looking for better schools, I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

I've been doing martial arts for over 15 years, and in my experience I developed a strong passion for teaching Taekwondo and wanted to use the similar structure (belt progressions, uniform, terminology) to teach a more practical form of martial arts. I have seen some of the value of TKD in my mma experience, but I would say it wouldn't have been possible until I developed a stronger boxing and wrestling foundation.

There are many other people who support my ideas, so believe me when I tell you that I've heard all the naysayers say this federation won't work out. I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically. I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

No kid blackbelts. No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.

Hi Taylor, just a few questions and comments...

Your website says that your "FTKD" is 95% boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, muay thai, and brazilian jiu jitsu and only 5% TKD. If this is the case, why bother to use "Tae Kwon Do" as 3/4 of the name of your new system? The arts which by your estimation comprise 95% of your system aren't mentioned in the name at all!

How much time have you spent training in each of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, muay thai, and BJJ? Do you have any particular achievements or ranks in those systems which would indicate your qualifications to teach any of those arts? You say "I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically." Your earliest videos on your YouTube channel were uploaded a year ago. Does that mean you've only been training those arts for a year now?

There are plenty of MMA gyms out there with coaches who have extensive experience in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and BJJ. Some of them even have some TKD experience to throw into the mix. Why would a student who wants the kind of training represented by those arts choose to come to you rather than one of those gyms?

It seems to me that "FTKD" is a style you've created, rather than a "federation." A federation would be a group of schools or instructors working under the same umbrella. Do you have any schools signed up for your federation yet? For that matter, do you have your own school where you are teaching your FTKD curriculum? If so, I don't see it on your website.

You say "No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. ... etc, etc, etc" That's not really accurate. Those things will always exist in schools where people want them. Likewise, there are plenty of schools out there where those elements aren't present because the instructors and students don't want them. If you want to join one of the many existing schools where those things you don't like aren't present - great! If you want to start your own school where those features aren't present - great! Just be aware that you're only changing your own training, not the martial arts world. Instructors and students who want the kind of training you're advocating already have plenty of options to choose from. Instructors and students who want the kind of training you're criticizing will continue to do their own thing.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol<<<

You put out video using the ITF Logo, represent it to be the way to practice the ITF form. You are criticized for a performance which is badly flawed according to the standard you claim it represents. For some reason you find this disturbing?

. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.

If all you want is Self defense or Sparring, then a great deal of your time will be wasted with a martial art. There are plenty of people who market reality Based "Systems" which eliminate most if not all the things you think are a waste of time.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically.
Trying to hold back my mad dog.

Your statement makes me want to fight you. like for real in a ring, cage, just to show you that you don't know as much as you think you learned within a few months. It's good that you feel better about your fighting ability and that you have improved but don't get carried away. A few months of Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu is not even a drop in the bucket when it comes to understanding fighting techniques or fighting in general.
Personally I think learning Taekkyon would be a better use and would help you understand TKD techniques better. Muay Thai will help because the kicking mechanics and applications of the kicking are going to require similar elements, but there's nothing in Jiu Jitsu that's going to help you understand TKD techniques better. The only way Jiu Jitsu will help is if you try to use TKD against Jiu Jitsu and then you'll have a better understanding of what TKD techniques you need to do and which ones you don't need to do when facing someone that does Jiu Jitsu. At least then you'll grasp a better understanding of the openings in TKD attacks and defenses that you need to be aware of so you don't end up on your back.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world.
Start by understanding that you can't make TKD better by abandoning it and adding stuff that's no where near the concepts of TKD. I can't make boxing better by adding Juijitsu, that would just make it not boxing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"We're going to have a curriculum, okay? I'm going to get all the smartest black belts in a room for a month and I'm going to tell them: develop a curriculum. I already have an idea for a curriculum, but I don't want to give it away, okay? Maybe I'll like their idea for a curriculum, or maybe I'll like mine. But it'll be huge. It'll be the best curriculum. All the best techniques. And I'm going to have many schools as members, all the best schools. Everybody is saying so..."
you know you're wrong for that. lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If all you want is Self defense or Sparring, then a great deal of your time will be wasted with a martial art. There are plenty of people who market reality Based "Systems" which eliminate most if not all the things you think are a waste of time.
I was thinking the same thing.