FTF

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've probably already given this more attention than it deserves, but I can't resist this line:

"If you're a Kukkiwon black-belt under the WTF or ITF standards..."

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
This guy continually rips on kid black belts, which is probably the only point on which he will get support here. However, he is 21 now and was 20 when he started posting these videos. From the start he was a 4th Dan boasting of 15 years of experience. You do the math. I'll ask the question: Taylor, how old were you when you got your black belt?

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty future, FTF students are going to have a bounty on their heads from all of the system bashing that the founder did. The founder may want to take those videos down if his students are ever thinking about doing competitive fighting.

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather fight against someone who only wants to win a competition, than to fight against someone who doesn't care about winning so long as they prove a point that their system doesn't suck. FTF students could be taking beatings that they don't deserve only because their founder talked junk. I wonder how the FTF supporters feel about this perspective.

Yeah I agree. :)

-Julian

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you all for your responses and thoughts on the FTF.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the bashing I did on martial arts. My earlier videos were sparked by more anger and disgust with the TKD system becuase of how my instructor and his fellow instructors showcased it. What's more is that despite years looking for better schools, I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

I've been doing martial arts for over 15 years, and in my experience I developed a strong passion for teaching Taekwondo and wanted to use the similar structure (belt progressions, uniform, terminology) to teach a more practical form of martial arts. I have seen some of the value of TKD in my mma experience, but I would say it wouldn't have been possible until I developed a stronger boxing and wrestling foundation.

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

In my new federation (and yes, I'm calling out the other federations impractical) there will be no forms, only sparring application and self defense. Similar to burton richardson's jkd unlimited, or daido juku karate-do (kudo). The problem with forms is that they are the very standard for testing and I find them a great waste of time in my opinion.

There are many other people who support my ideas, so believe me when I tell you that I've heard all the naysayers say this federation won't work out. I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically. I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world. Even if that means offering current practioners a new practical curriculum they can impliment in their schools.

No kid blackbelts. No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.
I have been lurking and following this concept for a while, but I am going to pitch my $0.02 worth into the ring.

My friend, you are doomed to failure. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and your first impression frankly sucks. The post I quoted is a perfect example: you offered a fake apology and then continued with the same arrogant, know-it-all bashing behavior. No one is going to take you seriously as a result.

You've been doing martial arts for over 15 years? And you are 21? There are people on the board, myself included, that have been doing martial arts longer than you have been alive. Much longer. And we read things like your complaining about one-steps (for example) and we laugh, because we know that you have no clue what one-steps are about. They are a training tool for new students to learn timing, distancing and control.

You're complaining about kid Black Belts? Given your age and how long you trained, it seems to me that you probably fit in that category yourself.

My advice to you? Go back into training and learn some basic life skills, such as courtesy, respect and loyalty. I have seen folks like you before. They think they know everything and they are going to set the world on fire. And I don't see them around any more.

OP
J

justkool141

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im 16 and I'm going for black belt in 3 weeks! I guarantee I will take martialartstutor in a fight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're complaining about kid Black Belts? Given your age and how long you trained, it seems to me that you probably fit in that category yourself.

This is probably the ONLY thing I will ever say in this persons defense...

I disagree with the whole baby black belt concept. Our school does not issue them. We've awarded ONE to a quite exceptional 17 year old girl who had been training for more than a decade. We've lost students because I have told their parents that under no circumstances will their little prodigy be given a black belt for their 10th birthday.

If this characters parents put him in a school that hands out baby black belts, and 20 year old 4th Dans (which, while totally in keeping with the KKW philosophy strikes me as ridiculous) that's not his fault. And if he's decided that baby black belts are a Bad Thing, then I'd actually agree with him.

I was a baby black belt. I was a 2nd Dan before I could drive myself to class, and a 3rd before I graduated High School. Looking back, I think that was a mistake, but it was how that system worked.

The difference is, you won't ever see me wearing that rank or citing it as a reason for bashing the system that awarded it. I was just a kid, and my understanding of the system was every bit as superficial as his. But I wasn't foolish enough to proclaim to the world that I knew more than those who'd spent 30 or 40 years training in the system, at least..

OP
J

justkool141

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is probably the ONLY thing I will ever say in this persons defense...

I disagree with the whole baby black belt concept. Our school does not issue them. We've awarded ONE to a quite exceptional 17 year old girl who had been training for more than a decade. We've lost students because I have told their parents that under no circumstances will their little prodigy be given a black belt for their 10th birthday.

If this characters parents put him in a school that hands out baby black belts, and 20 year old 4th Dans (which, while totally in keeping with the KKW philosophy strikes me as ridiculous) that's not his fault. And if he's decided that baby black belts are a Bad Thing, then I'd actually agree with him.

I was a baby black belt. I was a 2nd Dan before I could drive myself to class, and a 3rd before I graduated High School. Looking back, I think that was a mistake, but it was how that system worked.

The difference is, you won't ever see me wearing that rank or citing it as a reason for bashing the system that awarded it. I was just a kid, and my understanding of the system was every bit as superficial as his. But I wasn't foolish enough to proclaim to the world that I knew more than those who'd spent 30 or 40 years training in the system, at least..

It should based on skill! Chances are- a 12 year old wont be good enough to get a black belt! But Im 16 and there r no adult black belts better than me in my opinion! And yes... im old enough to drive! But I agree with"dont sell black belts to kids" but i dont agree with " u should have to be 18"!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should based on skill! Chances are- a 12 year old wont be good enough to get a black belt! But Im 16 and there r no adult black belts better than me in my opinion! And yes... im old enough to drive! But I agree with"dont sell black belts to kids" but i dont agree with " u should have to be 18"!

No, it should be based on understanding. Which requires a level of maturity that very very few will have at 16.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im 16 and I'm going for black belt in 3 weeks! I guarantee I will take martialartstutor in a fight!

Well there's a reason right there not to give you your belt yet. :rolleyes:

OP
J

justkool141

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Usa is the only thing that matters! Sry

OP
J

justkool141

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But u people on tapatalk have no lives and lie about being masters lolol! FTF is really a big joke! My master is a 6th dan and he's the only one who has my respect! So bye

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our of curiosity, I sprung for $2 to read this guy's "Fake Black Belts" PDF. It's 29 pages long, large font, so it's an easy read. Here's a quick book review:

Chapter 1 - the fake history of taekwondo. He reveals that taekwondo isn't actually based on taekkyeon. (I know, we're all shocked.) That's two pages long.

Chapter 2 - about McDojos. He gives 100 bullet-points about how to spot a McDojo. Things like: Your instructor pulls the race card, you learn pressure points, testing occurs every two months, you practice poomsae excessively, you learn some gymnastics, etc. Some of critiques in the list are fair, but some of them just sound like stuff he didn't enjoy as a student: like helping to clean the school, or bowing when he sees his instructor outside the classroom.

Chapter 3 - how to tell if you master is a fake. Apparently it's a warning sign if he's 6th dan or higher ("he's probably a scam artist"). Again, some of his points are fair (like if the master is high dan but very young) but the concluding paragraph is the big reveal: that his first master faked his 8th dan. If so, it's not surprising he's cynical.

Chapter 4 - the importance of having a resisting opponent when training self-defense No argument there, but I don't know that it's worth a chapter.

Chapter 5 - why he's creating functional taekwondo. He recaps what he says in his videos: some people are turned off by the phrase MMA, but people generally do seem to be drawn to the word taekwondo, so it's better to call his art taekwondo (rather than calling it MMA) so that his art will have more curb appeal. To me that seems intellectually dishonest, but you can't argue with his line of reasoning: taekwondo is indeed very popular. He also goes over his belt system: under the age of 16 the highest rank you can achieve is white->yellow->orange->green, but then after age 16 you'll be allowed to go to blue->red->brown->black. This guy really seems to be obsessed with the question of belt colors.

Chapter 6 - his teach philosophy is that if you try a technique and it doesn't work for you (like because of your body type of whatever), switch to a similar technique that does work for you and practice that technique instead. Example: if a throw doesn't work for you, practice single-leg takedowns instead.

Chapter 7 - recommended resources: a list of equipment you should buy (targets, gloves, etc.), and four books that he recommends: http://amzn.to/2cS2xwa http://amzn.to/2c6G5yu http://amzn.to/2c6FfSd http://amzn.to/2c6Fuwx

That's it!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our of curiosity, I sprung for $2 to read this guy's "Fake Black Belts" PDF. It's 29 pages long, large font, so it's an easy read. Here's a quick book review:

Oh goody.

Chapter 1 - the fake history of taekwondo. He reveals that taekwondo isn't actually based on taekkyeon. (I know, we're all shocked.) That's two pages long.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the paper, anyway.

Chapter 2 - about McDojos. He gives 100 bullet-points about how to spot a McDojo. Things like: Your instructor pulls the race card,

Race card? Huh?

you learn pressure points

I teach pressure points. I use pressure points.

, testing occurs every two months

We have testing whenever someone is ready to advance. That might be every month. It might be two months. It might be more.

, you practice poomsae excessively

Define "excessively"... purely a matter of how much you enjoy doing poomsae.

, you learn some gymnastics

Breakfalls and rolls are gymnastics...

Chapter 3 - how to tell if you master is a fake. Apparently it's a warning sign if he's 6th dan or higher ("he's probably a scam artist"). Again, some of his points are fair (like if the master is high dan but very young) but the concluding paragraph is the big reveal: that his first master faked his 8th dan. If so, it's not surprising he's cynical.

You mean, like a 20 year old 4th Dan who claims to know enough to invent his own martial art?

Chapter 6 - his teach philosophy is that if you try a technique and it doesn't work for you (like because of your body type of whatever), switch to a similar technique that does work for you and practice that technique instead. Example: if a throw doesn't work for you, practice single-leg takedowns instead.

Right. Because there's no point in figuring out WHY it didn't work and how to make it work... That would require skill. And knowledge. And practice. And hard work...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh goody.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the paper, anyway.

Race card? Huh?

I teach pressure points. I use pressure points.

We have testing whenever someone is ready to advance. That might be every month. It might be two months. It might be more.

Define "excessively"... purely a matter of how much you enjoy doing poomsae.

Breakfalls and rolls are gymnastics...

You mean, like a 20 year old 4th Dan who claims to know enough to invent his own martial art?

Right. Because there's no point in figuring out WHY it didn't work and how to make it work... That would require skill. And knowledge. And practice. And hard work...
Yet another post I want to click agree on more than once. You saved me typing my replies. Then I used up the same keystrokes typing this one.

Damn it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usa is the only thing that matters! Sry

In the USA as in the rest of the world education matters, it's a shame yours has let you down.

Latest Discussions