Frustrated and want to improve my physical performance

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know this a bit of a lateral step from what your asking but are you eating properly ...you mentioned your trying to drop weight. If you are pushing yourself but aren't taking in the right nutrition then that will effect you.

If your breathlessness is starting to get to you it might be an idea to get a medical check up ...not being an alarmist...
I haven't been eating much at all, but it seems to be the only way I can drop weight. I'v also been intermittent fasting for a little while now.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I need to and I struggle with that at times.
So the real issue probably is consistency. Start small, have someone else (someone you live or work with) hold you accountable. Set up a routine, and have concrete consequences for breaking that routine. Possibly rewards for holding to it. Have the person who holds you accountable manage those risks/rewards. When it's part of your routine so you don't need those risks/ rewards, increase the intensity of your routine.
It's slow, but thebest overall solution imo

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been eating much at all, but it seems to be the only way I can drop weight. I'v also been intermittent fasting for a little while now.

Fasting is not the way to lose weight ...and it will make you ill ... a proper nutrition is way better and healthier and safer

You need the proper fuel to be able to expend the energy you are looking to ...pushing yourself without that will not end in a good way.

Also do bear in mind that muscle weighs more that fat so don't get to hung up on watching the scales.

I know this may sound stupid but swimming and cycling are good cardio even a simple static bike (get on it watch tv or plug into music and pedal) try doing calisthenics that will tone you and if you choose the right excercises then you will gain a strong core which no matter what art you will require.

As others have said set goals but don't set the bar to high ...you do have other things to cope with in daily life and killing yourself in pursuit of martial arts ...not good

I know nothing about your style of art so any specific training routines you better to ask the Kenpo folks

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know this a bit of a lateral step from what your asking but are you eating properly ...you mentioned your trying to drop weight. If you are pushing yourself but aren't taking in the right nutrition then that will effect you.

If your breathlessness is starting to get to you it might be an idea to get a medical check up ...not being an alarmist...

I also support this statement. Do get a baseline physical at the very least. Your Dr can advise you if your body is missing nutrients & minerals it needs from improper dieting. Sometimes the best way to lose weight is to reevaluate what you’re eating and make a healthier lifestyle choice.

I can relate to struggling to exercise at home. After a full day’s work sometimes I just don’t feel like exercising.

You may need to have a trainer or your instructor evaluate your training. It may be that you’re overtraining & need to allow your body to recuperate.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also support this statement. Do get a baseline physical at the very least. Your Dr can advise you if your body is missing nutrients & minerals it needs from improper dieting. Sometimes the best way to lose weight is to reevaluate what you’re eating and make a healthier lifestyle choice.

I can relate to struggling to exercise at home. After a full day’s work sometimes I just don’t feel like exercising.

Any Instructor or teacher should constantly be evaluating his students that is his job and his duty of care.

so stop on use your instructor that what in effect he there for

You may need to have a trainer or your instructor evaluate your training. It may be that you’re overtraining & need to allow your body to recuperate.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fasting is not the way to lose weight ...and it will make you ill ... a proper nutrition is way better and healthier and safer

You need the proper fuel to be able to expend the energy you are looking to ...pushing yourself without that will not end in a good way.

Also do bear in mind that muscle weighs more that fat so don't get to hung up on watching the scales.

I know this may sound stupid but swimming and cycling are good cardio even a simple static bike (get on it watch tv or plug into music and pedal) try doing calisthenics that will tone you and if you choose the right excercises then you will gain a strong core which no matter what art you will require.

As others have said set goals but don't set the bar to high ...you do have other things to cope with in daily life and killing yourself in pursuit of martial arts ...not good

I know nothing about your style of art so any specific training routines you better to ask the Kenpo folks
I'm not a great fan of fasting, but it's hard to argue with the proven benefits of intermittent fasting, as long as it remains intermittent, and doesn't become extreme

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well if your lacking motivation , there's no EXErcise e on earth that will help you improve, You can make,significant improvements to fitness on quite literally a hand full of miNs a day, heLl you can get a reasonable work out in with out moving off the couch,

I really doubt he is " over training " not that it's impossible, but rather hard to actually do, but definitely impossible if you lack the motivation to train consistently,

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For me I use running to build up my cardio. For my core I use Yoga and circuit training. Again though, it is what I am comfortable with. Good luck in whatever you decided to do, just don't quit.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I need to increase my strength and cardio. I think my weakness in strength is my core. But my cardio is so weak, I don't know why. I sometimes can't catch my breath and feel like I will pass out, especially doing burpees during the warm up part of class. I get very frustrated with myself but I just can't seem to stick to a workout plan at home.
I have noticed that when I jump rope every day, it helps my cardio, but there are still times when I just can't catch my breath during/after some exercises. I've been doing pushups (full), hand stands against a wall, and planks for core strengthening.
Sometimes I get bored of jump roping and I'd like to switch up my cardio and alternate days.
What do you all do for cardio and strength training?

The question is, how do you know that you're really that bad? You could be, but maybe your class is full of ringers. Since you brought up burpees, a good measurement of cardio...so how many burpees can you do in 2 minutes? Rest 30 seconds. Then another 2 minute round.

Goal is to hit 50 burpees per 2 min. = 100.

We do this on a designated hard cardio day in Muay Thai class, so once a week....and this is at the tail end of the warmup....so there was already 15 minutes of hard warmup leading to these final 2 rounds. Then the class starts. When I 1st started at this MMA gym, I thought I was in shape and with a decent MA background. I had to take so many breaks during the warmup and chicks were running by me while smirking. It took a good 3 months to get up to par.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this is old but just saw it. You want to get cardio get your trainers on and hit the roads. You want strength get in the gym. Martial arts can help with cardio and strength and so they should there should be some workout in martial arts but if you want to get great strength and cardio you need to put your own time In