30min a day fitness training?

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently started taking Muay thai classes twice a week and am getting frustrated with my own physical limitations(out of shape). If I can do 30 minutes of fitness training every morning will it make much of a difference?

What type of training should I do?

The only equipment I have is a jump rope and pull up bar.

This is what I have in mind right now, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

**two days alternating**

Day 1:
5 min warm up - jump rope
1.5mile run(increasing distance as my legs grow stronger. Aiming for 3miles)
0.5 mile cool down - walk
Stretch out

Day 2
2 min - push ups
1 min - plank
2 min - lunges
1 min - plank
2 min - crunches
3 min - jump rope single leg alternating legs every 30 seconds
2 min - pull ups
2 min - leg raises(pull up bar)
Stretch out

Thoughts?

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You can incorporate some static stretches as a part of the "warm up" and do some dynamic stretches for the cooldown. Just a couple thoughts:

-Strong legs will not helps you run longer as much as cardiovascular stamina will
-Warm up should probably be longer than 5 minutes
-When doing push ups, etc. Do not use extra weights, and increase reps. to focus more on the stamina

Other than that, it looks like a good plan for getting back to shape, considering that you'll still have the regular Muay Thai training!

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would forget the running altogether unless you enjoy doing that.

I'd say work in 3 minute intervals of shadow boxing, you can include kicks knees and elbows, with 1 minute of stretching.
Start off with a lower level of intensity and build up, also add extra 3 minute sets as your conditioning improves. So start with 3 rounds of 3 minutes and work your way up to 7 rounds of 3 minutes with a minute rest and stretching in between.

On the other days your pull up and bodyweight workout sounds fine. I would consider kettlebells as well though. You can start off with a 12 or 16 kg and work your way up. This would be great for both cardio and strength.

This sort of workout would be much better suited to conditioning for Muay Thai.
Done 4 days a week will definitely help. I don't think you should need more.
Have fun.

OP
H

Hal Carleton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would forget the running altogether unless you enjoy doing that.

I have no desire to run. I just always think of it as a key part of any exercise regimen. Shadow boxing does seem like it would be more appropriate though. I might still finish of the week with a run.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean to disagree, but am a little curious: Why would you recommend not running at all?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to disagree, but am a little curious: Why would you recommend not running at all?

The only thing I can think of, is because its hard impact. Opting for a stationary bike or eliptical machine would be alot less impact. OTOH, within reason, I dont think its that bad. Recently, I've been running/jogging at least twice a week, alternating with some walking. I do this on a treadmill. Personally, I have no desire to turn into a runner or run a marathon. LOL. I'm simply doing it for the cardio benefit. The walking is done on a fairly good pace, adding in inclines.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently started taking Muay thai classes twice a week and am getting frustrated with my own physical limitations(out of shape). If I can do 30 minutes of fitness training every morning will it make much of a difference?

What type of training should I do?

The only equipment I have is a jump rope and pull up bar.

This is what I have in mind right now, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

**two days alternating**

Day 1:
1.5mile run(increasing distance as my legs grow stronger. Aiming for 3miles)
0.5 mile cool down - walk
Stretch out

Day 2
2 min - push ups
1 min - plank
2 min - lunges
1 min - plank
2 min - crunches
3 min - jump rope single leg alternating legs every 30 seconds
2 min - pull ups
2 min - leg raises(pull up bar)
Stretch out

Thoughts?

I'll start at the top and work down. You dont need fancy equipment to work out. Sure, its a plus, but body weight exercises will have good results. Looking at day 2, if I'm reading right, it seems that you're incorporating cardio into the strength training? ie: are you doing at many pushups as you can in the 2min or are you doing sets within the 2min? IMO, I think its better to do sets of each exercise, ie: 6 sets/25 pushups, or something along those lines. The same with the other exercises.

As for the cardio...theres alot that you can do. Bike riding is good. Running/jogging....as I said in my other post, I'm not training for a marathon, but it does give a good cardio workout. Jump rope. Walking is also a good cardio workout. Of course, it needs to be done at a good pace. If you're taking a leisurely stroll, no, you're not going to get much out of it. Add in some hills, and that will help cardio wise in addition to working the legs. I have a weighted vest that I wear when I walk. It works my legs and helps alot with the cardio.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might i also recommend Shadow Boxing?

The harder you work, the more effective itll be.
Lets see if i can find an example for Muay Thai...

There we go.
It works for me, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If the impact was a concern, why jump rope? I do agree that cardio's important, and I personally have believed that a minimum 20-minute long cardio should be part of the routine, but Mr. SensibleManiac seems to be in disagreement. Could it be that he is recommending shadow boxing as a supplement of long cardio work out? I am quite curious and puzzled.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the impact was a concern, why jump rope? I do agree that cardio's important, and I personally have believed that a minimum 20-minute long cardio should be part of the routine, but Mr. SensibleManiac seems to be in disagreement. Could it be that he is recommending shadow boxing as a supplement of long cardio work out? I am quite curious and puzzled.

You'll have to wait for him to reply, for his thoughts, but I'll toss in my .02.

For myself, when I jump rope (which really isnt that often) I dont do it nearly as long as when I'm running. That said, while I do agree with you that there is impact, IMO, its not as bad as running. As for the shadow boxing...again, you'll have to wait for him to reply on that. Do I feel its good cardio? Sure, but I'd rather do 3min intervals on the heavy bag. IMO, thats going to give you a better workout than punching air.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You'll have to wait for him to reply, for his thoughts, but I'll toss in my .02.

For myself, when I jump rope (which really isnt that often) I dont do it nearly as long as when I'm running. That said, while I do agree with you that there is impact, IMO, its not as bad as running. As for the shadow boxing...again, you'll have to wait for him to reply on that. Do I feel its good cardio? Sure, but I'd rather do 3min intervals on the heavy bag. IMO, thats going to give you a better workout than punching air.

Agreed in all respects!