From Okinawa to Korea

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And Shotokan's lineage was Shorin, Shorei and perhaps other Okinwn Ryus, and Shroin lineage was Sholin, so the TJD libeage is then Shaolin. (FWIW General Choi mentions the Shorin / Shorei Lineage in his 1965 Book)
Earl I remember you from the old days.... I started in 2009 also...posted regularly for 4/5 years....life caught up with me thought I would come back

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl I remember you from the old days.... I started in 2009 also...posted regularly for 4/5 years....life caught up with me thought I would come back
Gorilla, you missed nearly all my posts. I expect you to spend the weekend catching up on them all.

OP
M

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, it’s been awhile I thought I’d post an update. Continuing to train while pregnant is much more challenging than I anticipated. I still really enjoy it (though experience a lot of frustration that I simply cannot perform to the level I am used to). It has been frustrating to go from the person who could run towards the head of the pack during warm-ups to the person huffing to finish a lap behind everyone else. I keep pushing myself to perform as I did before the pregnancy and end up with injuries. I’ve developed varicose veins on my left leg and never had a hint of them with my other three pregnancies. I have also developed the beginnings of planters fasciitis on my right foot from pushing too hard with too much weight. Nevertheless I have been committed to continuing to train for as long as I can. I am just over a month away from my due date at this point. My kicks are not head high anymore, not for lack of flexibility or balance, but because I have a giant ball fixed to my torso that is simply in the way of my kicks. My biggest concern at this point is how long it’ll take me to get back into shape after the baby is born. I’m not allowed any type of exercise for the first six weeks postpartum and then I can only start again slowly. I don’t do slowly very well... on top of that, everyone is conspiring to pressure me to stop TKD for this last month of pregnancy. (This includes husband, instructor, and medical personnel).

In any case, last night was testing. It was a whirlwind since I help with the Youngest class, had to rush home to put my 2-year old to bed and teach my university class, then rush back for my test.

My son (now 5) actually did really well. Honestly, I’m surprised at how well most of the little kids did. The ones that have been there longer have considerable improvement in the smoothing out of their techniques. I’m honestly impressed because I had doubts regarding the learning of these little kids. Anyhow, when it came to my son’s board break he had to do a heel stomp, then turn around and do another on the other side. If they missed the second one they would have to start over and do the first one again. My son got both his first try. He never hesitated. I was impressed. The older child that had the same break as him and is twice as large kept hesitating and never broke the second board.

My daughter who has moved up to the youth class didn’t pass for the first time. The breaks are harder and that was the only thing she didn’t get. She actually knows her techniques well. Personally, I think it is good for her to not pass. She can learn that it isn’t the end of the world and to try again. She is such a perfectionist I’m hoping she will learn not to fear imperfection.

I surprised myself with my test. Between my varicose veins behind my left knee and my pain in my right foot, I was concerned about getting through my test. I actually managed to do pretty well (though I was barely able to walk after the test). I even got both my board breaks. So now I’m officially a 1st gup. Of course with the baby coming soon it’ll be awhile before I’m able to work on and test for 1st Dan.

My biggest disappointment is not being able to continue classes right up until giving birth. I look forward to returning to class after the baby is born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it’s been awhile I thought I’d post an update. Continuing to train while pregnant is much more challenging than I anticipated. I still really enjoy it (though experience a lot of frustration that I simply cannot perform to the level I am used to). It has been frustrating to go from the person who could run towards the head of the pack during warm-ups to the person huffing to finish a lap behind everyone else. I keep pushing myself to perform as I did before the pregnancy and end up with injuries. I’ve developed varicose veins on my left leg and never had a hint of them with my other three pregnancies. I have also developed the beginnings of planters fasciitis on my right foot from pushing too hard with too much weight. Nevertheless I have been committed to continuing to train for as long as I can. I am just over a month away from my due date at this point. My kicks are not head high anymore, not for lack of flexibility or balance, but because I have a giant ball fixed to my torso that is simply in the way of my kicks. My biggest concern at this point is how long it’ll take me to get back into shape after the baby is born. I’m not allowed any type of exercise for the first six weeks postpartum and then I can only start again slowly. I don’t do slowly very well... on top of that, everyone is conspiring to pressure me to stop TKD for this last month of pregnancy. (This includes husband, instructor, and medical personnel).

In any case, last night was testing. It was a whirlwind since I help with the Youngest class, had to rush home to put my 2-year old to bed and teach my university class, then rush back for my test.

My son (now 5) actually did really well. Honestly, I’m surprised at how well most of the little kids did. The ones that have been there longer have considerable improvement in the smoothing out of their techniques. I’m honestly impressed because I had doubts regarding the learning of these little kids. Anyhow, when it came to my son’s board break he had to do a heel stomp, then turn around and do another on the other side. If they missed the second one they would have to start over and do the first one again. My son got both his first try. He never hesitated. I was impressed. The older child that had the same break as him and is twice as large kept hesitating and never broke the second board.

My daughter who has moved up to the youth class didn’t pass for the first time. The breaks are harder and that was the only thing she didn’t get. She actually knows her techniques well. Personally, I think it is good for her to not pass. She can learn that it isn’t the end of the world and to try again. She is such a perfectionist I’m hoping she will learn not to fear imperfection.

I surprised myself with my test. Between my varicose veins behind my left knee and my pain in my right foot, I was concerned about getting through my test. I actually managed to do pretty well (though I was barely able to walk after the test). I even got both my board breaks. So now I’m officially a 1st gup. Of course with the baby coming soon it’ll be awhile before I’m able to work on and test for 1st Dan.

My biggest disappointment is not being able to continue classes right up until giving birth. I look forward to returning to class after the baby is born.

Take your time in your recovery after you deliver your child. Seriously, especially at this late stage in the pregnancy, you need to be careful both for yourself and for the child. Go easy. Give up your drive to be the best. It really does not matter. And don’t be in a hurry to try and regain what has diminished during the pregnancy. Again, your priority is your new child and your own health. Your training can wait, there is no rush.

Seriously, this is your third pregnancy? I should not need to tell you this. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Never being pregnant before and never having the prospect of being pregnant due to my gender, I can only offer the following observation:

No 2 pregnancies are the same. Some are easy (relatively speaking of course), some are difficult. Sometimes women recover quickly, other times they don’t. Not just person to person, but even individuals with multiple pregnancies. A MA example...

A woman I train with has had 2 children. Her first pregnancy was what she called an easy one. She felt great the entire time, and was training right up to a few days before the baby was born. And she was back to training about 2 weeks afterwards. 2-3 weeks into training postpartum, she said she felt like she was never pregnant.

Her second child was the opposite. She really struggled the first several months, and needed to stop at about 5 months. She just couldn’t keep up, and everything was hurting. She didn’t start training again until about 3 months postpartum, it took her a good 3-4 months after that she felt 100%.

She had no clinical complications during either pregnancy.

Both of my wife’s pregnancies and deliveries were different too. Certain things bothered her during one pregnancy but not the other, recovery was different, etc. We expected the same stuff the second time around as the first time. We were proven wrong.

OP
M

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Take your time in your recovery after you deliver your child. Seriously, especially at this late stage in the pregnancy, you need to be careful both for yourself and for the child. Go easy. Give up your drive to be the best. It really does not matter. And don’t be in a hurry to try and regain what has diminished during the pregnancy. Again, your priority is your new child and your own health. Your training can wait, there is no rush.

Seriously, this is your third pregnancy? I should not need to tell you this. :)

Actually, it’s my fourth. But I never had to slow down during the other three. Although I wasn’t actively practicing MA during those three. I was just using the treadmill and for all the births I was on the treadmill the day the baby was born. I expected the same with MA practice this time as I experienced three times before with treadmill workouts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it’s my fourth. But I never had to slow down during the other three. Although I wasn’t actively practicing MA during those three. I was just using the treadmill and for all the births I was on the treadmill the day the baby was born. I expected the same with MA practice this time as I experienced three times before with treadmill workouts.

Ah well. We all get a bit older don’t we? And these things can be unpredictable.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations on your testing and pregnancy! I would definitely say practicing MA is a far cry from the treadmill. I would not be discouraged by the injuries but you do need to listen to your body, your husband, and especially your doctor.
Your 1st Dan testing will only come around once so take you time so that you can be at your best when the time comes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Congrats on passing your test, that is an amazing feat, especially being so pregnant! Awesome :)

And yeah I know that feeling of having to not train for a period of time... will be a test in patience :). Keep the fire stoked though, watch classes, read, watch MA vids, and do whatever physically you can (even slow motion techniques).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You, my friend, are an addict. Good choice of things to get addicted to, by the way.

OP
M

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, it’s been awhile. I’ve tried not to think about MA too much because then I’d get grumpy about not being able to train. I had a super smooth and easy birth about a month ago.

I think she’s going to be ready to start TKD soon. What do you think?
abf60f27ae43dc551efc5e9a7fc5a07d.jpg

So at four weeks postpartum I convinced my midwife to let me return to class. However, she had a lot of rules for me. No cardio. No running. No jumping. No ab work. Kinda cuts out a lot of class but I was willing just to be back in the dojang. It felt sooooo good to be back. The first half hour is usually cardio and weight stuff. So I had to stand out of the way and just stretch that whole time. When we started the TKD material, I got to learn the first few techniques in Taeguek Pahl Jang, but it wasn’t too long before I got a text from hubby that the baby had lost it and nothing would calm her down. She usually nurses and refused any of the pumped milk. So I had to leave class early and rush home, but we had worked this out ahead of time and I knew it was likely. I was thrilled to get to be at the dojang as long as I had. I probably won’t get to go this week as this is testing week but that’s ok. Next week I hope we can get things to work better with the baby so I can maybe stay in class longer. Once I’m six weeks postpartum I’m supposed to get to do most everything else again, though no sit-ups or direct front ab work (I have a small separation there from childbearing). Anyhow, I’m chomping at the bit to get back into the swing of things!

I am also looking forward to watching my older two children test. I’ve been helping the oldest work on her terminology. It’s 18 Korean vocabulary words this time and she’s been having a bit of trouble memorizing them on her own. I figure it’s okay to help a 7-year old work on memorizing her words. My son has had me help him with his pattern but doesn’t want help with his memory work (regulations of the Hwarangdo). I look forward to seeing how they and my own classmates do at the test.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Already knows how to make a fist....good job.

And congrats

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it’s been awhile. I’ve tried not to think about MA too much because then I’d get grumpy about not being able to train. I had a super smooth and easy birth about a month ago.

So at four weeks postpartum I convinced my midwife to let me return to class. However, she had a lot of rules for me. No cardio. No running. No jumping. No ab work. Kinda cuts out a lot of class but I was willing just to be back in the dojang. It felt sooooo good to be back. The first half hour is usually cardio and weight stuff. So I had to stand out of the way and just stretch that whole time. When we started the TKD material, I got to learn the first few techniques in Taeguek Pahl Jang, but it wasn’t too long before I got a text from hubby that the baby had lost it and nothing would calm her down. She usually nurses and refused any of the pumped milk. So I had to leave class early and rush home, but we had worked this out ahead of time and I knew it was likely. I was thrilled to get to be at the dojang as long as I had. I probably won’t get to go this week as this is testing week but that’s ok. Next week I hope we can get things to work better with the baby so I can maybe stay in class longer. Once I’m six weeks postpartum I’m supposed to get to do most everything else again, though no sit-ups or direct front ab work (I have a small separation there from childbearing). Anyhow, I’m chomping at the bit to get back into the swing of things!

I am also looking forward to watching my older two children test. I’ve been helping the oldest work on her terminology. It’s 18 Korean vocabulary words this time and she’s been having a bit of trouble memorizing them on her own. I figure it’s okay to help a 7-year old work on memorizing her words. My son has had me help him with his pattern but doesn’t want help with his memory work (regulations of the Hwarangdo). I look forward to seeing how they and my own classmates do at the test.

I don't like the post. I LOVE this post. Words do not describe how beautiful that picture is. Major congratulation!!!!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Congratulations!!! That's fantastic Michele, and yep, your little one looks more than ready to train ;).

So cool to hear you've been back at the dojang, would be an amazing feeling for sure :D

Latest Discussions