Freestyle martial arts

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So at this point in my martial arts journey I'm kind of at a crossroads with it. My main style is American kenpo and I'm about to go for my black belt. But my club is in a major transition phase due to new instructors taking over. I've been at this rank for 4 years and I do want the black belt but right now it's getting to the point where it doesn't matter anymore as everything's so all over the place with my club I don't feel I'm getting the right training. So I've started doing kickboxing training just for variety and learn new things. Right now I've given up on focusing on rank and just want to learn and train. I've seen this advert for freestyle martial arts and I'm curious to what that is. Anyone got any experience with it?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So at this point in my martial arts journey I'm kind of at a crossroads with it. My main style is American kenpo and I'm about to go for my black belt. But my club is in a major transition phase due to new instructors taking over. I've been at this rank for 4 years and I do want the black belt but right now it's getting to the point where it doesn't matter anymore as everything's so all over the place with my club I don't feel I'm getting the right training. So I've started doing kickboxing training just for variety and learn new things. Right now I've given up on focusing on rank and just want to learn and train. I've seen this advert for freestyle martial arts and I'm curious to what that is. Anyone got any experience with it?

The term "freestyle" has too broad of an interpretation. For some "freestyle" systems, they'll simply take the basic techniques of two systems, and combine them into one, while others will branch out into more than two systems. Regardless of what method they choose, though, they generally don't strive to have a deep understanding of a specific art. There simply isn't enough time.

The better question is, for what are you looking? If you're seeking a mastery of an art, then jumping all over the place isn't going to get you there.

In most systems, if you're just getting to the level of Shodan, then it simply means that you have a decent command of the fundamentals, and are ready to take on the more advanced training. If you quit on the system at this stage, then you will simply have never had a chance to experience a greater in-depth knowledge of the art in question.

If you're simply seeking competency in multiple arts, then perhaps it could be right for you, depending on the specific application.

For some people, such as mixed martial arts folks, they can get to a decent level just by having such proficiencies in multiple arts, if all they want to do is compete in the ring. Someone can study the fundamentals of boxing and wrestling, and be a pretty competent fighter at the lower levels in a relatively short time.

My opinion is that in the long run, it's better for someone to have a deep rooted understanding of a single system as a starting point. From there, he may very well be able to properly incorporate other systems' methods, since he'll have a decent understanding of how the human body works, etc. Some people might point out that Bruce Lee made his own system of Jeet Kun Do, which combined multiple arts in a "freestyle" fashion, but it's important to remember, that he was already an expert in Gung Fu, and that he was a one of a kind individual...

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The term "freestyle" has too broad of an interpretation. For some "freestyle" systems, they'll simply take the basic techniques of two systems, and combine them into one, while others will branch out into more than two systems. Regardless of what method they choose, though, they generally don't strive to have a deep understanding of a specific art. There simply isn't enough time.

The better question is, for what are you looking? If you're seeking a mastery of an art, then jumping all over the place isn't going to get you there.

In most systems, if you're just getting to the level of Shodan, then it simply means that you have a decent command of the fundamentals, and are ready to take on the more advanced training. If you quit on the system at this stage, then you will simply have never had a chance to experience a greater in-depth knowledge of the art in question.

If you're simply seeking competency in multiple arts, then perhaps it could be right for you, depending on the specific application.

For some people, such as mixed martial arts folks, they can get to a decent level just by having such proficiencies in multiple arts, if all they want to do is compete in the ring. Someone can study the fundamentals of boxing and wrestling, and be a pretty competent fighter at the lower levels in a relatively short time.

My opinion is that in the long run, it's better for someone to have a deep rooted understanding of a single system as a starting point. From there, he may very well be able to properly incorporate other systems' methods, since he'll have a decent understanding of how the human body works, etc. Some people might point out that Bruce Lee made his own system of Jeet Kun Do, which combined multiple arts in a "freestyle" fashion, but it's important to remember, that he was already an expert in Gung Fu, and that he was a one of a kind individual...

I am in no way looking to quit kenpo all together. That Is my main art and I do love the art. I just have issues with the way it's being taught at the moment. I also just want to see what else is out there. I have no interest in competition my main focus is self defence. I'm not going to be jumping around styles. Kenpo will always be my main focus. The kickboxing is more for fitness and strength and from what I've heard freestyle is a good combination that teaches very effective self defence

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen this advert for freestyle martial arts and I'm curious to what that is. Anyone got any experience with it?
Honestly, that could be all sorts of things. It's not any kind of standard, well-defined term.

It could be an instructor with a strong foundation in several arts who has developed his own well-integrated eclectic art from that foundation.

It could be an instructor with a decent foundation in several arts who has thrown together a poorly integrated eclectic art with random elements of his foundational arts.

It could be an instructor with genuine qualifications in one art who has tossed in a few elements from other arts and called it "freestyle."

It could be an instructor with no real expertise in anything who is using the "freestyle" term to cover for his lack of credentials.

It might be something else entirely. Probably not an art with a heavy emphasis on a traditional lineage, but other than that, who knows?

If you have a link to a website, we might be able to take a look and see what we think.

Tiger84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which club is giving you problems? What state do you live in.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the turmoil in your club. I hope that works itself out to your satisfaction.

However, were I you, I would go ahead and test in this, your primary art and club. Then if you want to branch out, go ahead. There will probably never be a justifiable reason in you mind down the road, why you spend all that time, energy, and self, and didn't attain your black belt.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for the turmoil in your club. I hope that works itself out to your satisfaction.

However, were I you, I would go ahead and test in this, your primary art and club. Then if you want to branch out, go ahead. There will probably never be a justifiable reason in you mind down the road, why you spend all that time, energy, and self, and didn't attain your black belt.
That is what I want to do but the thing is they are not doing a test for anyone for another 9 months. Now I'm not arrogant enough to say I'm perfect at what I do I know I have a lot of improvements to do but I have known everything I need for a very long and I do practice every day and go to every training session and there are some who are more friendly with the instructor and haven't been the rank as long as me got tested and passed. Now again not to sound arrogant but I am more ready than they were. This person rarely turns up to training, never helps teach, and every lesson is asking me to remind him of moves. I'm not saying my clubs a belt factory because it's not I've had to work for every rank I've got but with some people it is more easy for them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is what I want to do but the thing is they are not doing a test for anyone for another 9 months. Now I'm not arrogant enough to say I'm perfect at what I do I know I have a lot of improvements to do but I have known everything I need for a very long and I do practice every day and go to every training session and there are some who are more friendly with the instructor and haven't been the rank as long as me got tested and passed. Now again not to sound arrogant but I am more ready than they were. This person rarely turns up to training, never helps teach, and every lesson is asking me to remind him of moves. I'm not saying my clubs a belt factory because it's not I've had to work for every rank I've got but with some people it is more easy for them.

Well, that does put a different light on it. I guess you have a decision to make.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, that does put a different light on it. I guess you have a decision to make.
I wish I didn't have to think like this. I love the art and I love the club and belts aren't the big incentive to me but when it's unfair like that I think anyone would be frustrated

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Freestyle is, from what I've seen, a twist on Mixed Martial Arts. Can be pretty much a mix of anything.

You need to realize, Rank has little to do with one's skills and abilities but where one stands within the requirements of the particular instructor and/or organization... and that is all.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you discussed your concerns with the people in charge? Are other students feeling the same way? Perhaps your input could guide them to fix some issues. Or perhaps you could take on more of a leadership role and fix the issues yourself.
I've heard others who became frustrated being passed over by people the thought were not as good as them. In theory, you should only focus on yourself and becoming better than you were before. But in reality, we all have an ego that can be bruised when something like that happens, and it greatly affects our focus and urge to continue. I hope you find the path you were meant to travel.
As for the "freestyle" question... I have no idea. Could mean anything.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you do not see genuine potential for the situation at the club to improve, then leave. A transitional period can be difficult, but eventually it needs to clean up. If you don't see potential for that to happen, don't waste more time there and forget about the belt. In hindsight, you will realize it didn't mean anything. If you get the belt, you might find yourself embarrassed to admit it to people, later on.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, the real questions to ask yourself are:

1) Am I learning stuff in current training that I find valuable?
2) Am I enjoying the process of learning sufficiently to keep at my training?
3) Are there options for training elsewhere that will allow me to learn more or enjoy the process more?

The answers to those questions will tell you whether you should stay or go.