How the Economy is Affecting Martial Arts Schools

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it possible that some of these schools have simply moved to bigger and better locations, or merged for mutual benefit?

Could some bigger outfit or chain being buying them up or buying them out?

Could it be that your area, for its size, simply had too many MA schools for the population size?

Just tossing out possible alternatives..... may not be the economy at work.

I haven't seen any mass die off in my area. I'd have to say the girls' goju ryu dojo is stronger than ever, and the Tai Chi places seem about the same. This is in the Peoples Republic of New York, an area really feeling a lot of high taxes and plant closures, too.

Sure, all those things are possible. But as I posted earlier in this thread, things are getting pretty rough around here.

Ultimately, during a bad economy, the strong will survive. Those companies best able to adapt to the shifting market forces and customer demands will be able to make it, and possibly even grow stronger as the market becomes less diluted and other weaker businesses fall away. At least, in a true free economy that would happen.

So you may be right, some of these businesses may have merged, or moved. But I know for a fact at least some of them have simply failed. And I know that as I drive around my town, there are a lot of other businesses which have failed as well, including international chains.

-Rob

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have been thinking about some things and after reading some posts, I have a question.

How many of you have raised your fees?
Have you thought about lowering them and making it up on volume?
What marketing ideas and programs have you implemented to better "sell" your program to potential students?

I am kicking around the idea of breaking away from where I currently teach and starting my own gym and taking my school with me. So I am trying to decide on how I am going to do this.

Latest Discussions