Forms - The simple answer

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am often asked "What are you doing?" from people who are either passing by or wanting to join classes while I'm practicing forms. When I tell them that I'm practicing my forms, they almost always ask the question "What for?" or "What's that?" I normally have some trouble with this and it usually starts a much longer conversation.

I could say that I'm practicing these patterns of movements that are really hidden ways of showing us more complex techniques...which usually confuses people more. Or I could say that it is just an organized way to practice basics, which isn't entirely accurate. Or I could say that they are just things I have to do for tests, which is true, but downplays their importance.....

So I'm curious how others answer this question for people who are totally unfamiliar with Martial Arts? What is the simple answer??

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple awnser - You are practicing a pattern of movements that build upon central principles of your art.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have run through the same in Tai Chi.
The very easy answer is "it is none of your business, leave me alone coz your are interrupting me", but it is very unpolite hee hee.

Truth is there is no easy answer. If the person asking is "ignorant" of Martial Art and its parts any answer you will give will lead to other questions. I suppose the best way to answer it might be "I am practicing some movements importan for my Martial Art so that they will become a natural response when I will be in need of using them".
The only thing I have learnt about this is to answer to people who doesn't know anything about Martial Art as if you were answering to a child, simple words. I remember once my supervisor saw me in the parking lot (I work overnight so it was around 2 am) during my lunch break practicing Tai Chi. To make him understand I had to start from something like "it looks like a slow dance...." O_O

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple awnser - You are practicing a pattern of movements that build upon central principles of your art.

I have run through the same in Tai Chi.
The very easy answer is "it is none of your business, leave me alone coz your are interrupting me", but it is very unpolite hee hee.

Truth is there is no easy answer. If the person asking is "ignorant" of Martial Art and its parts any answer you will give will lead to other questions. I suppose the best way to answer it might be "I am practicing some movements importan for my Martial Art so that they will become a natural response when I will be in need of using them".
The only thing I have learnt about this is to answer to people who doesn't know anything about Martial Art as if you were answering to a child, simple words. I remember once my supervisor saw me in the parking lot (I work overnight so it was around 2 am) during my lunch break practicing Tai Chi. To make him understand I had to start from something like "it looks like a slow dance...." O_O

I'm pretty much in agreement with both of these posts. :) My responses have been similar to the ones already given. Perhaps the word 'hidden', if left out, wouldn't cause the person to dig deeper, so to speak. Perhaps saying that the moves in the kata are a series of self defense moves compiled together, would be easier for them to understand.

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in agreement with both of these posts. :)
Me, too.

Perhaps saying that the moves in the kata are a series of self defense moves compiled together, would be easier for them to understand.

Mike
That's good. Short, sweet, understandable, not watered down. Think it's my new explanation. :ultracool

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like that too... I think I'd stick on the end...

"...... so that I can learn to make them flow from one to another when needed"

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm curious how others answer this question for people who are totally unfamiliar with Martial Arts? What is the simple answer??

Who are your making your answer for?

Are you answering to show the depth and reality of the system, amybe your answering for yourself.

Maybe you should think about who is asking, and what level the answer is on.

Another point would be that your answer doesnøt have to hit the point right on. getting into a conversation with the person will reveil what kind of question the person has.

I would just say it's movements to rember the techniques I do, so I can do it without a partner. And then take it from there.

Regards
Yari

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hm, I've never really had trouble with explaining what I was doing...

When people ask, I explain what I'm doing (like 'Well, this is for deflecting a kick and then this is for distracting the person so his hands will go up his face' etc.) - I never needed to go into a real explanation about forms. Even when I say "I'm doing a jurus", I'll answer questions about what a jurus is with 'that's a way to take someone out' and then they'll understand. (In my style of Pencak Silat, the forms (jurus) are different ways to defeat an opponent so I don't have a hard time explaining what I'm doing. Maybe other MAs are different?)

I mean, of course some people will be curious about why you're doing the techniques all over again in the same sequence but they won't have any problems understanding that you are practising to perfect your techniques.

So, the simple answer to explaining forms is, to my opinion, to avoid even mentioning them and say something like 'I'm practising how to defend myself against someone with a knife' or something.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple answers?

"Ancient Chinese secret"

"Busting a groove"

"Kicking it, old school"

*break into the chorus of Kung Fu Fighting as they walk by*

"Harnessing my Chi and becoming one with the universe"

"Fighting off the aliens, they're everywhere! Run for your life!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

:lol:

I believe I shall steal this one. I LIKE IT!!

But to answer the question it depends on what I am doing, taiji I tell them Taiji and if they want an explination they are given one.

Xingyi, I have not done outside.

Sanda.... strange but no one ever asks

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Line from a detective novel where the main character was a black belt.

"Kata, the formal exercises of karate training."

I find that concise and informative, even if it's a gross oversimplification.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the mood I'm in, though I got a kick out of Andrew's answers! :D
(get it? :D )

I've been known to say, "A martial arts Kata is like a dance of defensive and offensive moves strung together, good for practice and concentration." The nice ones usually leave me alone to "practice and concentrate."

:ultracool

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like all of these anwers. The one I tend to go with is that forms are a type of scripted shadow boxing. It's a way of working on techniques and movements when you don't have a training partner to beat on.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Simple answers?

GREAT!! Line!!!

Elaborating a little on this.....

Fighting off Harvey...You see him don't you??

(the white rabbit from an old Jimmie Stewart movie)
Remembering the words of a famous american...."stilly questions get silly answers"...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forms are the basis for all manner of martial arts. Think of them as shadow boxing, or combinations. Only, they are set as to how you do them. They contain all that is the style. And if you don't understand that or belief me, sing up and I'll show you soon enough.

Latest Discussions