For kick lovers...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He's a good kicker, but there are plenty of guys you've never heard of who can outdo anything in that clip.
Ok...so have you heard of them? Who are you talking about, or is this just a general statement?

Also, what do you mean "outdo", are you saying they are more powerfu kickers, more accurate, more flexible, faster kickers, able to throw more kick combos, better balanced or they just look asthetically better in their execution?

Sure, you can say, Huang was just a "movie kicker" and that he would get beaten by a real, competitive fighter. But I'm not sure that's the point. He is an excellent kicker and with great control.

So let us know who you think tops him?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it is fair to say HJL ramks among my heroes and was an exceptional kicker in his time.

I think it is also fair to say 4 decades later that the world of kicking has moved on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lateef Crowder for movie kickers.

And let's go Stanley nandex for death dealing real life kicks.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lateef Crowder for movie kickers.

And let's go Stanley nandex for death dealing real life kicks.

Stanley Nandex is highly accurate, with incredible power. However, I don't see a broad selection of kicks, just mastery of two or three very powerful ones. Mainly a Rear Leg Roundhouse, and a Jumping Spinning Heel Kick.

As a personal preference, I do not like Capoeria. Its great on TV, and the big screen. Having said that, Lateef Crowder is very good at it.

Both do make good runner-candidates.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...so have you heard of them? Who are you talking about, or is this just a general statement?

Also, what do you mean "outdo", are you saying they are more powerfu kickers, more accurate, more flexible, faster kickers, able to throw more kick combos, better balanced or they just look asthetically better in their execution?

Sure, you can say, Huang was just a "movie kicker" and that he would get beaten by a real, competitive fighter. But I'm not sure that's the point. He is an excellent kicker and with great control.

So let us know who you think tops him?
It was a general statement. There are guys doing kicks and combos that weren't even conceived of when those movies were being made that none of us have heard of.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was a general statement. There are guys doing kicks and combos that weren't even conceived of when those movies were being made that none of us have heard of.

Here is some logic to go with your fallacy.

To make an argument from silence (in Latin argumentum ex silentio) is to express a conclusion that is based on the absence of statements in historical documents, videos etc, rather than on presence.

Generally speaking, absence of evidence is not evidence.

Example #1:

Morris: Oh youthful spirit, you have so much to learn. I know for a fact, that there are multiple dimensions that beings occupy.

Clifton: How can you possibly *know* that for a fact?

Morris: (raises one eyebrow, stares deeply into the eyes of Clifton and says nothing)

Clifton: Wow. You convinced me!

More to the point, if none of us have heard of them, they cannot possibly be offered as a runner up can they? We have to know who they are to nominate them.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is some logic to go with your fallacy.

To make an argument from silence (in Latin argumentum ex silentio) is to express a conclusion that is based on the absence of statements in historical documents, videos etc, rather than on presence.

Generally speaking, absence of evidence is not evidence.

Example #1:

Morris: Oh youthful spirit, you have so much to learn. I know for a fact, that there are multiple dimensions that beings occupy.

Clifton: How can you possibly *know* that for a fact?

Morris: (raises one eyebrow, stares deeply into the eyes of Clifton and says nothing)

Clifton: Wow. You convinced me!

More to the point, if none of us have heard of them, they cannot possibly be offered as a runner up can they? We have to know who they are to nominate them.
I love when the "academics" come out. No one has heard of them because that kind of kicking ability is not nearly as special as you seem to think it is. Also, I wasn't offering a runner-up. I've seen quite a few kickers both in person and on video who, in my opinion, kick better than anything I saw in the video you posted. That isn't to say that the kicker in the video isn't great, just that there are people doing more amazing things these days.

It's a big world out there.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Plenty of examples in South Korea, all of whom none of us have heard of. I have seen them though. I know what Jaeimseu is talking about, I think.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nominations for second best?
Well, the guy in your video, for one.
Because Chuck Norris...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cue Chuck Norris comments...........................:)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a hard time even comparing kicking in movies to kicking in actual fights. They're just such different animals. Asking whether a movie kicker is better than a fighting kicker is like asking "which is better, this blues guitar recording or this Greek sculpture?" Even if it's the "same" kick, the timing, distancing, setups, footwork, focus, and intent are all different. Often the power generation is different too. It's like comparing pro wrestling to actual grappling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stanley Nandex is highly accurate, with incredible power. However, I don't see a broad selection of kicks, just mastery of two or three very powerful ones. Mainly a Rear Leg Roundhouse, and a Jumping Spinning Heel Kick.

As a personal preference, I do not like Capoeria. Its great on TV, and the big screen. Having said that, Lateef Crowder is very good at it.

Both do make good runner-candidates.

I was going to throw in Andy hug. But then it would not even be a competition.

Anyway for consistent flash in real time fighting. Steve vic.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a hard time even comparing kicking in movies to kicking in actual fights. They're just such different animals. Asking whether a movie kicker is better than a fighting kicker is like asking "which is better, this blues guitar recording or this Greek sculpture?" Even if it's the "same" kick, the timing, distancing, setups, footwork, focus, and intent are all different. Often the power generation is different too. It's like comparing pro wrestling to actual grappling.
I agree. To be clear, I would consider the video to fall under the category of demonstration kicking, which is what I was basing my opinion on.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love when the "academics" come out. No one has heard of them because that kind of kicking ability is not nearly as special as you seem to think it is. Also, I wasn't offering a runner-up. I've seen quite a few kickers both in person and on video who, in my opinion, kick better than anything I saw in the video you posted. That isn't to say that the kicker in the video isn't great, just that there are people doing more amazing things these days.

;)

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I agree.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The point, which was implied.... Hwang Jang-lee has consistently polled in many MA movie buff polls, as the number 1 movie kicker.

A runner up should be judged on things like, versatility &/or variety of kicks, graceful flow, balance, range of motion in kicks. Vertical height, and horizontal distance.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The point, which was implied.... Hwang Jang-lee has consistently polled in many MA movie buff polls, as the number 1 movie kicker.

A runner up should be judged on things like, versatility &/or variety of kicks, graceful flow, balance, range of motion in kicks. Vertical height, and horizontal distance.
I think you may need to up your implication skills[emoji6].

Latest Discussions