For all you martial arts fashion plates...

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by 7starmantis
Naa, I'm done....I have nothign else to say

7sm

Until Phil says the next thing you mean....:shrug:

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dear God Phil, I did not nor do I appologize for my comments

Sounds fairly obnoxious to me.

I was trying to further explain to those still level headed enough to try and understand what I said, that I ment no disrespect. But seeing how you did mean to disrespect me...

Oh, don't compound the problem by lying about it. You weren't "further trying to explain." You made an obnoxious, snarky comment, didn't provoke the angry mob you were looking for, and got scared when it looked like you might take heat for behaving in such a childish fashion.

As a martial artist, one should attempt to keep peace, not instigate trouble, this is why I originally said I felt you were egocentric

Your original post was intended and constructed for no other purpose than to instigate trouble. Do not expect us to swallow this incredibly hypocritical tripe that you believe in "keeping the peace" and trying not to "instigate" things when that is precisely what your originally post was tailor-made to do.

Some who posted after me were genuinly concerned with helping the misunderstanding, or resolving a conflict.

There was no misunderstanding. There was only you attempting to start trouble and then backpedaling furiously when you got more retaliatory heat than you bargained for.

As I read those posts, I thought, "Maybe I was a little harsh, and maybe I should give Sharp Phil's writtings another chance"

Spare us the revisionism. It is not credible. You are simply making excuses.

HOWEVER, after your polite and candid response, I agree with my original ideas of you and your writting.

You may think whatever you wish. I, in turn, have formed certain opinions about you that I did not have before you decided to behave so disrespectfully today.

I believe you are not trying to "turn the other cheek"...

I am not a Christian.

...or help resolve conflict, but stir up and antagonize more disruption.

YOU chose to "stir up and antagonize" by making your post. Do not now start whining that I refuse to "resolve" a conflict of YOUR making.

This is the sign of a true martial artist.

You'll pardon me if I don't place much faith in your opinions of what a "true" martial artist might be. If that is the case, you are not one. If it isn't the case, you're wrong again. Either way, it's a losing scenario.

Do yourself a favor and don't dig the hole any deeper.

I am not interested in arguing with you. I will not, however, simply stand by and allow you to attack me for no good reason. That is what you did, and that is why I harshly slapped you down for it.

Let it go and we will not have a problem.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades
Until Phil says the next thing you mean....:shrug:

Naa, I'm truly done...nothing left to say, if I continue I'll only be arguing and thats moot.

7sm

M

Master of Blades

Naa, I'm truly done...nothing left to say, if I continue I'll only be arguing and thats moot.

7sm

Impressive, well I guess that means everything is good and done. Nothing more to say, move along people, nothing to see here :D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades
Impressive, well I guess that means everything is good and done. Nothing more to say, move along people, nothing to see here :D

Unless we want to have a more productive discussion on...

1. the product

2. your feelings on wearing Martial Arts stuff in public

3. hot women

Why hot women, you ask? Because we can ALWAYS devert the topic to hot women! (I think it is in the MT rules somehere...right?...Kaith!!) ;)

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by PAUL
Unless we want to have a more productive discussion on...

1. the product

2. your feelings on wearing Martial Arts stuff in public

3. hot women

Why hot women, you ask? Because we can ALWAYS devert the topic to hot women! (I think it is in the MT rules somehere...right?...Kaith!!) ;)

Speaking of hot women.....I think my girlfriend would like nice in one of those T-Shirts :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as ravishing as Phil looks in his shirt, I've yet to find a better looking one that this one:

:D

Attachments

• $shirt.jpg
    $shirt.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 122
T

TheRustyOne

may I just say about that picture above, she rocks that! SharpPhil, I shall browse tonight *grin*

Me, I see nothing wrong with wearing clothing that's a walking advertisement. But that's just me, and I'm a dork. The only time I wouldn't, is if I KNOW I'm going somewhere my butt could get jumped... Like wearing one high school's jacket into the enemies territory...

...but then again, that's just me...and i'm wearing an ad. for monty python right now, anyway. :p

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I
One dumb move I made when I was 20 yrs. old is I thought it would be "cool" to have "stickfighter" personalized on my license plate. I will admit that this was a dumb move on my part. However, it was quite humerous also because I could only have 7 letters, so my plate actually said: "STKFHTR."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for giving me a laugh for the day!!!

:rofl:

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I believe you are not trying to "turn the other cheek" or help resolve conflict, but stir up and antagonize more disruption. This is the sign of a true martial artist.

7sm

Umm, is what Phil does considered a true sign?

The quote probably could use a re-writing... although I understood perfectly well what you were trying to say.

- Ceicei

L

leehoicheun

ok you two...... to other sides of the room. No need to get all pissy. Life is short.

O personally like reading what Phill has to say and I'm sure others agree. If they didn't then he most likely would have been kicked from the forum. But obviously the admins feel that his contributions are valuable..... even if at time they stray a little from the main topic........ but only a little.

so come on guys............ cyber hug and forget ok :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
. . .
One dumb move I made when I was 20 yrs. old is I thought it would be "cool" to have "stickfighter" personalized on my license plate. I will admit that this was a dumb move on my part. However, it was quite humerous also because I could only have 7 letters, so my plate actually said: "STKFHTR." It made sense to me at the time, but unfortunatily I think about only twice did someone actually get it right. What was the most funny about this was, people more often then anything else thought it said "steak father". :rofl: I found this to be hilarious because "T" comes before "H" in "father," and it isn't like that on my plate. So to me this seemed quite illiterate. Some would say, "So...does your license plate say 'steak-father'?" I would usually reply, "Why yes it does....I got it because 'meat daddy' was taken." :rofl: :rofl: You should have seen their faces after that!
. . .

But, Paul, you forget that I am Lexdysic, and what you write and what I read are way different things. I know I said that to you in Buffalo. I assumed it was stick fighter, since you were at a stick camp and you were way to fast on interrupting me what I said Steak Father, and you replied Meat Daddy was taken.

Now your plate has something about a shipping company, only it was miss-spelled ;)
:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about wearing clothing that blatently advertises what you do. Jackets with your School name on them, etc.?

Do you think that it violates good sense for self defense, or not?

Asa rule, I think it's better not to wear such--though as has been pointed out, of course there are exceptions!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you think that it violates good sense for self defense, or not?
I'd have to agree with the idea that it depends on where I'm going. I DO NOT wear logos when I'm going into the downtown area. If I wear a logo t-shirt to work I always have a button up shirt over it so that when I get out of the truck I can cover the t-shirt. I haven't even purchased anything with the logo of my current school on it. There's only one design to choose from and it isn't promoted by the sensei. It's there if you want it and I don't think I've ever heard him mention it. I've only seen one other student wear one. My last school was just the opposite. The instructor was constantly shoving the latest jacket or t-shirt design down your throat. Buy this, buy that. I don't know about fashion sense but it seems that wearing a martial arts t-shirt in an area that you know is prone to problems is like wearing a tee that says "I'm carrying a concealed weapon, please test me."

L

leehoicheun

in all honesty not many poeple.... especially men... care what other poeple are wearing .... let a lone take the time to notice the logo on someones shirt that is usually too small to see form a distance. I don't have a problem wearing a shirt that symbolizes something I like.

For example: I just got back from a seminar featuring Guru Dan Inosanto and a whole bunch of other martial artists such as Guru Rick Tucci, Capoeira master Edna Lima and a few of the Muchado Juijitsu guys. I picked up a cool long sleeve shirt that had all the typical Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and Kali-Escrima logos and put it on after the first day of training. I loved the shirt so much I wore it the next training day and even on my way home. Now here's the fun part..... the seminar was in New York City ;)

so here I am...... walking around wearing black sweats, sneakers, and the shirt. No one looked twice at me. Most likely because they didn't care.

I honestly think that it doesn't matter whether you wear a school shirt or not that is going to get you in trouble. I think how you present yourself to people is the main thing. If people come up to you because you are wearing a school shirt and want to fight or test you..... maybe your poise needs some adjustment.

so to sum it up...... wear what you want. Why limit yourself? Like it says in the Toa Te Ching
Care about others aproval and you will forever be their slave.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Logos and the problems it can cause.

I was flying back from Nygoya Jaopan, direct to Detroit.

I walked onto the plane with a logo shirt that had a small logo over the chest, and a sword in the logo. I had the cheif stewardess's complete attention when she saw me. Someone else hit a button and by the time I have been given directs to my seat, All of the stewards and stewardesses were in the isle watching me. They did not stop watching me, whcih is kind of funny since all the passengers wanted to see what had attracted the attention of the staff. As I sat, I could see abunch relax as I was not in their area. Yet I could see them checking the row number. Before I could get to the sitting position the stewardess for my area asked if I needed anything. I siad Orange Juice. She then asked if I wanted alcohol. I beleive if Iwould ahve drank some alcohol it would have helped. Yet instead I naturally replied. I do not drink aocohol on a plane. I like the OJ so as I do not get dehydrated. AS I was by a bulkhead, she fixed me the drink while talking to me. She talked to me for about 5 minutes, even refilling my drink and ignoring other requests from other passengers. She was searching for me to say certain words and to give some back ground on me and where I am from. Why I was travelling and who yeah you collect swords? I then had to expalin that you could get swords from Renaisance fairs and RPG events and off the internet. Once she was satisfied, she then reported to the Cheif Stewardess, and the rest of the flight was fine. Although the poor doctor who had just done two months of volunteer work in the PI was afraid of me the whole way home.

Do not go through customs or travel on planes with logos. THat is my recommendation.

:asian:

Latest Discussions