For all you martial arts fashion plates...

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Attachments

• $redlizard01.jpg
    $redlizard01.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 229

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is no one else tired of Sharp Phil's egotistical self-promoting posts other than myself?

I thought this board was for martial arts discussion, but thats just me.

7sm

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's egotistical to create something and wish to share it with those who might find it useful?

It's egotistical to post a lighthearted link to a company that happens to make t-shirts you might enjoy wearing?

Is anyone tired of petty, petulant geeks who can't stand it when other people have opinions and express them?

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, hell, I don't mind being called egotistical at all. I just think it's silly to jump on someone for daring to write articles about the martial arts, or for posting links to those articles on the theory that they will be useful to others. Granted, this one is a little off topic, but it seemed harmless and light-hearted to me. It's hardly "self-promoting" to talk about a company that isn't mine and in whose profits I have no share.

K

Kroy

Oh and thanks for the link to Red lizzard, looks pretty cool.

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
Oh and thanks for the link to Red lizzard, looks pretty cool.

Thanks. That was the whole point of posting it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis
Is no one else tired of Sharp Phil's egotistical self-promoting posts other than myself?

I thought this board was for martial arts discussion, but thats just me.

7sm

No. Don't be a dork. Phil has been posting links to articles he writes for free. These articles spark good discussions. What's wrong with that? And, I have yet to see one article where he "promotes" himself. He may express ideas, but that is what a talk forum is all about.

His articles are good, informative, sometimes controversial, and clearly appropriate conversation starters.

I think that it is a misunderstanding for you to believe that Phil is promoting himself. The product on this thread isn't even his company. :rolleyes:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea a few words would make you blush. I appologize if I seemed harsh, I was just asking, as I have been watching his posts from the begining, and while I feel no ill will towards Sharp Phil, I don't see how these posts belong in the martial arts discussion forum, maybe in the Locker Room or something? Phil's opinion on martial arts and such seem great, and I'm glad he takes the time to think so deeply about these issues, but this post is out of place in my opinion. Thats all I was saying. I'm sorry if my opnion offended you guys.

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Is anyone tired of petty, petulant geeks who can't stand it when other people have opinions and express them?
Oh and Sharp Phil, don't be so quick to lash out at people's opinions, that may be the reason I feel that you are a bit egocentric. If my post offended you, then wouldn't you think that by that same reasoning your post would offend me? So why go ahead and post it knowing that?

7sm

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea a few words would make you blush.

Translation: "Wow, I had no idea my petty criticism wouldn't be supported, so now I had better backpedal furiously so I don't get hit with the backlash."

I appologize if I seemed harsh, I was just asking, as I have been watching his posts from the begining, and while I feel no ill will towards Sharp Phil...

To be blunt, you're a liar. You posted a personal attack and are now trying to hide behind a very transparent excuse. "Gosh, I was just asking." No, you weren't "just asking." You were being obnoxious.

...I don't see how these posts belong in the martial arts discussion forum, maybe in the Locker Room or something?

I post ABOUT THE MARTIAL ARTS. That's why my posts belong here. Granted, this particular post could be a locker room post, but its audience is those who participate in the martial arts and wear clothes -- which encompasses everyone here.

...Phil's opinion on martial arts and such seem great, and I'm glad he takes the time to think so deeply about these issues, but this post is out of place in my opinion.

You could have said that, but you didn't. Instead, you posted an extremely hostile and childish insult. You are now trying to pretend that is not what happened.

Thats all I was saying. I'm sorry if my opnion offended you guys.

No, you're not sorry. People who are deliberately offensive and then apologize for it are simply sorry that they got caught being deliberately offensive.

Oh and Sharp Phil, don't be so quick to lash out at people's opinions, that may be the reason I feel that you are a bit egocentric.

I only lash out at those who lash out at me. Your post was childish and hostile; it warranted a harsh response.

If my post offended you, then wouldn't you think that by that same reasoning your post would offend me? So why go ahead and post it knowing that?

You need to understand the difference between initated and retaliatory force. You set the tone for the exchange. Frankly, I don't care if you get offended. You gave up any claim you might have to civil treatment when you chose to behave in an uncivil fashion.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No prob...I wasn't angry. I just thought that there might have been a misunderstanding.

I think Phil usually posts his article links in the right spot. When it pertains to knife stuff, for instance, he posts in the knife forum. If it pertains to General MA'ists, he posts it here. I haven't had a problem yet.

Now, if he was constantly promoting HIS products, then yes, it would be annoying. It would belong in Advertising or Merchandise area of MT, and not here.

However, he usually isn't plugging a product, he is trying to strike up a discussion. Even though this one was about a clothing co., it wasn't HIS co., so he was just giving it a product review. It's tough, because Where do you put a general product review for a product that all MA use? The General forum is one logical place, bu there may be others.

I just think that there might have been a misunderstanding as to why Phil posts, because I don't believe it is shameless self promotion.

:asian:

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't worry, Paul -- your response was right on track (and I thank you very much for your kind words). What we're seeing is the predictable behavior of someone who, confronted with responses he didn't expect, tries to rewrite history to avoid catching heat for it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about wearing clothing that blatently advertises what you do. Jackets with your School name on them, etc.?

Do you think that it violates good sense for self defense, or not? Or do you think it depends on the circumstance?

Anyone? :cool:

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
How do you guys feel about wearing clothing that blatently advertises what you do. Jackets with your School name on them, etc.?

Do you think that it violates good sense for self defense, or not? Or do you think it depends on the circumstance?

Anyone?

I posted a link in the review to an article by Pete Kautz of Alliance Martial Arts called "I Conceal My Treasure." In that article, he explicitly warns against wearing such clothing to avoid antagonizing or otherwise posing challenges to others (not to mention forewarning potentially hostile individuals).

I do think, however, that such clothing has its place -- for instance, at seminars and martial arts-related events and when you're with friends who know you and what you do.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't worry, Paul -- your response was right on track (and I thank you very much for your kind words). What we're seeing is the predictable behavior of someone who, confronted with responses he didn't expect, tries to rewrite history to avoid catching heat for it.

No problem. Nice response also, by the way (to the slam)! :rofl:

Oh..and that reminds me...*Note to self: do not post obnoxious things towards Phil on the net, unless I want my @$$ appropriatly and logically hammered to the floor.* end note. :rolf: :hammer: ;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, play nice. I can't afford the gas my clunker would require so I can drive out there to kick you all repeatedly in the foot with my ***. :D

Seriously... While I may not agree at all times with what Phil writes, the majority of his stuff tends to generate a decent amount of interesting and sometimes controvercial posts. IMHO, this is all good. Sure, certain thigns could be put in a different forum, but let us know where, and we're always happy to move some stuff around.

If there is an actual problem, please use the 'Report' function.

Thank you.

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to worry, Bob. I generally try to be polite, but I don't react well to being poked with sticks. ;)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted a link in the review to an article by Pete Kautz of Alliance Martial Arts called "I Conceal My Treasure." In that article, he explicitly warns against wearing such clothing to avoid antagonizing or otherwise posing challenges to others (not to mention forewarning potentially hostile individuals).

I do think, however, that such clothing has its place -- for instance, at seminars and martial arts-related events and when you're with friends who know you and what you do.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that MA clothing has it's place, like seminars and what not. If I am going out to dinner or something after a seminar, I am not going to run home and change unless I am eating in a threatening environment (which I shouldn't be in anyways). I know some instructors who own schools and organizations who frequently wear clothing representing their art or school: the idea is they are a walking billboard for their school. I think that this is O.K. also, as long as their smart enough to put on something more appropriate if they are going to the bar, or something.

I think that that Shirts or Jackets with really loud lettering that scream "I am a martial artist" or "I am a tough guy" is totally uncalled for, and can get the wearer in trouble if someone is looking to cause it.

One dumb move I made when I was 20 yrs. old is I thought it would be "cool" to have "stickfighter" personalized on my license plate. I will admit that this was a dumb move on my part. However, it was quite humerous also because I could only have 7 letters, so my plate actually said: "STKFHTR." It made sense to me at the time, but unfortunatily I think about only twice did someone actually get it right. What was the most funny about this was, people more often then anything else thought it said "steak father". :rofl: I found this to be hilarious because "T" comes before "H" in "father," and it isn't like that on my plate. So to me this seemed quite illiterate. Some would say, "So...does your license plate say 'steak-father'?" I would usually reply, "Why yes it does....I got it because 'meat daddy' was taken." :rofl: :rofl: You should have seen their faces after that!

I was very lucky, however, that my retarded plate never got me in trouble. I would say that no one needs to advertize how bad @$$ they are, through a plate, a shirt, or what ever. To do so isn't streetwise, in my opinion.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dear God Phil, I did not nor do I appologize for my comments, I was trying to further explain to those still level headed enough to try and understand what I said, that I ment no disrespect. But seeing how you did mean to disrespect me ala...
Frankly, I don't care if you get offended
As a martial artist, one should attempt to keep peace, not instigate trouble, this is why I originally said I felt you were egocentric (Confined in attitude or interest to one's own needs or affairs. ) ala ...
I only lash out at those who lash out at me. Your post was childish and hostile; it warranted a harsh response.
Some who posted after me were genuinly concerned with helping the misunderstanding, or resolving a conflict. As I read those posts, I thought, "Maybe I was a little harsh, and maybe I should give Sharp Phil's writtings another chance", HOWEVER, after your polite and candid response, I agree with my original ideas of you and your writting.
I believe you are not trying to "turn the other cheek" or help resolve conflict, but stir up and antagonize more disruption. This is the sign of a true martial artist.

7sm

Latest Discussions