Food pricing

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With any luck we'll go back to a saner less capitalist-fundamentalist food supply regime. If we don't, may G-d have mercy on us. Because food and water are the two things that people will reliably kill each other for without a second thought.

I fear we have not seen the worst of it yet. We may very well see that here in the USA. It isn't much of an imaginative stretch in seeing fuel truck hijackings and even killings over fuel, in my opinion. Crime will rise as a result as people resort to it to feed their families. If people cannot travel to work or afford their electric bills, and cannot otherwise feed themselves or their families, dissent will follow.

Are these things still considered light and transient causes?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone see what's happening to rice at the moment? Sams Club is putting limits on sales citing a huge increase in the price.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If people cannot travel to work or afford their electric bills, and cannot otherwise feed themselves or their families, dissent will follow.

Um... martial law and the police state will follow.

If you aren't too busy protecting your own.

There are those with no family. These are the ones poised to benefit from the private security work that will certainly be abundant. I'm talking houses in gated communities, not the "$1000 Millionaires" who go on and on about free markets and such. They will "protect their own" until the Man comes to give them the police state. Then they will certainly PUT DOWN their little pea shooters. Trust me on this one.

And please note, I am nothing but serious. I have no children, I hold that to be of supreme importance as we enter into the fruit of the last 8 years of The Empire.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Crime will rise as a result as people resort to it to feed their families.

This is true. In the US, this will resemble post-occupation Korea, except the people will be a LOT more stupid, and they will have guns. Also, the "powers that be" are ready to keep their stuff safe. That's about the long and the short of it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are those with no family. These are the ones poised to benefit from the private security work that will certainly be abundant. I'm talking houses in gated communities, not the "$1000 Millionaires" who go on and on about free markets and such. They will "protect their own" until the Man comes to give them the police state. Then they will certainly PUT DOWN their little pea shooters. Trust me on this one.

And please note, I am nothing but serious. I have no children, I hold that to be of supreme importance as we enter into the fruit of the last 8 years of The Empire.

After your earlier post I had a serious conversation with my wife about some of these topics and one topic of conversation that came up was about adding firearms training to my MA training...

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After your earlier post I had a serious conversation with my wife about some of these topics and one topic of conversation that came up was about adding firearms training to my MA training...

As I have said before, I STRONLY support gun rights, and would encourage anyone to be a RESPONSIBLE gun owner, including training from an accomplished shooter.

However, when the "crack down" comes, remember -- if you raise your gun, you WILL die. You might take some people out with you, but you will buy the farm.

I myself have reasons NOT to own a gun (though I am legally able to). I simply don't want the responsibility -- that is all. I dislike big responsibility, I wish to live care free. If I were you, though, and had a family to protect, I would have to do this -- to purchase a firearm "just in case", and engage in training with a competent shooter of some sort, hopefully a military veteran.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I have said before, I STRONLY support gun rights, and would encourage anyone to be a RESPONSIBLE gun owner, including training from an accomplished shooter.

However, when the "crack down" comes, remember -- if you raise your gun, you WILL die. You might take some people out with you, but you will buy the farm.

I myself have reasons NOT to own a gun (though I am legally able to). I simply don't want the responsibility -- that is all. I dislike big responsibility, I wish to live care free. If I were you, though, and had a family to protect, I would have to do this -- to purchase a firearm "just in case", and engage in training with a competent shooter of some sort, hopefully a military veteran.

It's not the crackdown I'm worried about..not yet anyway/ Mostly the 'mob' to protect my family against as a worst case, and expanding options for some of the...career opportunities you alluded to

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um... martial law and the police state will follow.

Actually, that would be the knee jerk remedy to the chaos. But at that point it is too late for martial law if the people are organized. Unfortunately, I don't think the landscape will look very nice as different factions attempt to seize control of various regions or areas.

They will "protect their own" until the Man comes to give them the police state. Then they will certainly PUT DOWN their little pea shooters. Trust me on this one.

I would disagree with you there. You would be surprised at the weapons and training many civilians have. Many folks are raised around firearms and are taught at an early age how to use them. There are many (good and bad, see the show on History channel about gangs in the military) that have been taught military strategy and tactics. If you envision the stereotypical fat redneck slogging around with their lever action deer rifle like the media portrays, you will be surprised and possibly horrified at the sheer firepower and skill of many in the general population.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I complete disagree! How so. You can't go it along like "rambo"... again that is the movies. People will band together, there is strength in numbers (especially trained with weapons).

I myself have reasons NOT to own a gun (though I am legally able to).

Your reasons are your own and I think they have possibly jaded your views about those that have guns. Of course that is fine, just don't write off those that do have them and know how to use them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would disagree with you there. You would be surprised at the weapons and training many civilians have. Many folks are raised around firearms and are taught at an early age how to use them. There are many (good and bad, see the show on History channel about gangs in the military) that have been taught military strategy and tactics. If you envision the stereotypical fat redneck slogging around with their lever action deer rifle like the media portrays, you will be surprised and possibly horrified at the sheer firepower and skill of many in the general population.
It is probably why, armed with that knowledge of the diversity of Americans and the diversity of temperaments and our relatively lax gun laws that nobody has really tried to invade this country in a very long time. It wouldn't be that easy.
Like Bogart said to the Nazi in Casablanca: "...well major there are certain parts of New York I wouldn't advise you to try and invade..." Same with just about anywhere in the country. If we think the insurgency is bad in Iraq just imagine the insurgency here in this country if the situation was reversed.
But the same idea goes with inner-American conflict today. Imposing a strict martial law would be a bloody affair indeed. Casualty rate on both sides would be horrendous before it's over.

But aren't we talking about food pricing?? :D

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Your reasons are your own and I think they have possibly jaded your views about those that have guns.

Oh, no. Nothing of the sort. I hope the True Patriots all the best, when it comes down to it.

Of course that is fine, just don't write off those that do have them and know how to use them.
I don't in the least "write off" true shooters. I have obviously (to me) been misunderstood. How, I do not know.

Again, I hope for the Best, that the Rebels beat the Empire, I truly do. Just be advised that they have a lot of hardware that is not broken out yet
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/19/wirq319.xml
and a lot of tricks
http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/laws/gc_1172767635686.shtm
to keep people down.

And if you think that the "powers that be" are not fully aware of what they will be up against, please think again.

We certainly are. Its just that you are considering the short term, and I am considering the not-so-short-term, when things get, say, "interesting".

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And if you think that the "powers that be" are not fully aware of what they will be up against, please think again.

No doubt. However, with all that technology, they still have to fight door to door in Iraq. Hmmmmm.....

Yes we are. But less face it, when people are having a hard time getting basic necessities, they will do drastic things. It really wouldn't take much to send the world we know into chaos. It is times like this that we are closer to it than many realize. It is things like this can be markers or signs of more troubles to come. IMO, it is important to "read the air", to apply someone else's words.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the subject of violence: Guy in tee shirt with hunting rifle is not equal to trained military wearing body armour and an assault rifle.

I think we're going to have to adapt for a while. Grow our own, join communes/farm groups/barter. Turn a spare bedroom, unused closet or part of the basement into a hydro farm that will work year round. Tack a mini green house onto the garage. Do things to offset our rising food bills and lowering food quality.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007-2008_world_food_price_rises

The years 2007–2008 saw dramatic world food price rises, bringing a state of crisis to some of the poorest regions in the world, and causing political instability and social unrest in several nations.

Short-term causes include poor harvests in various parts of the world, especially Australia. Systemic causes for the world-wide food price increase have been currently identified as the increasing use of biofuels in developed countries (see also Food vs fuel),[1] and an increasing demand for a more varied diet (especially meat) across the expanding middle-class populations of Asia.[2][3] As well, the continued rise in the price of oil has heightened the costs of fertilizers, food transport, and industrial agriculture as a whole. These factors, coupled with falling world food stockpiles and instability brought about by the subprime mortgage crisis, have all contributed to the dramatic world-wide rise in food prices.[4]

People laughed at me when I said that turning fuel to food was a crime against humanity. Now it looks like we'll reap what we sowed...

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings everybody. I am not an alarmest,but so many of you are right and have reason to worry and to take measures to safeguard you and yours, gardens and cutbacks are good to start with. I say try building a group or circle of close friends that you trust to be able to trade with in the future. Also I say watch what you say on the net, someone is always watching us and listening, we are a group of a different kind in our society. Train hard and be healthy for me has been changed to train hard and be smart.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On the subject of violence: Guy in tee shirt with hunting rifle is not equal to trained military wearing body armour and an assault rifle.

Guy wearing black pajamas carrying gun made in 1947 (and earlier) not equal to a trained military wearing body armor and an assault rifle???

Guy in Islamic garb carrying gun made in 1947 and living in a cave not equal to trained military wearing body armor and an assualt rifle???

It is not the equipment one uses, but the mindset and techniques of the soldiers using them.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is not equal to trained military wearing body armour and an assault rifle.

On the subject of body armor, does those vests stop high powered rifle bullets or just shrapnel and low velocity rounds? I didn't think they stopped things like the 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and other high velocity rounds such as .30-06, 7mm mags, .375h&h, .308, .243, .223 (M-16), and stuff like that (BTW, many of these latter calibers are shot in the average hunting rifle).

I think we're going to have to adapt for a while. Grow our own, join communes/farm groups/barter. Turn a spare bedroom, unused closet or part of the basement into a hydro farm that will work year round. Tack a mini green house onto the garage. Do things to offset our rising food bills and lowering food quality.

I think some of these sound good.