Focus

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a problem focusing. In my art, Wing Chun, focus is very important when doing the forms, to develop energy...and in everything else.

Im sure focus is important in any art, but it seems especially important in the internal arts. Does anybody have some tips or tricks that would help give me focus? Other than a new brain?!? Ack!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a problem focusing. In my art, Wing Chun, focus is very important when doing the forms, to develop energy...and in everything else.

Im sure focus is important in any art, but it seems especially important in the internal arts. Does anybody have some tips or tricks that would help give me focus? Other than a new brain?!? Ack!

Hey PeaceWarrior :)

I don't train in the internal arts...which I think take more focus than the external arts...but I can share what has worked for me.

Focus can be a habit that needs to be learned. Something that has helped me was a tip from my old instructor...he would sometimes take us for a vigorous workout, and then when we were exhausted and drained, he'd have us work on our forms. THAT was an eye-opener...a basic form that I thought I knew fairly well suddenly became excruciatingly difficult. Maybe something similar can work for you?

Other ideas...sometimes basic school traditions, such as bowing in to the school, changing in to your gi or workout clothes, then bowing on the mat can be mental prep for the training that's coming ahead. I try to think that...while I'm on the mat, I'm a martial arts student. Everything else can wait for an hour or two until I'm done with class. It sounds kind of hokey...but for me it has worked a bit.

A good amount of sleep helps too...although that can be easier said than done.

Wing Chun sounds like a fascinating art. My school teaches it as well, unfortunately I work on the night that it's taught. Perhaps I'll get some exposure in the future. All the best to you on your journey! :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some people are able to focus easier than others. It is also something that comes to one over time and practice. I think if you continue to study your art that you will find that it becomes easier . Sometime people just try to hard and that can be a hinderance also

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meditating for a minute or two before training can help clear your mind.

And as Yoda would have said... Patience!

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A good trick I always found was to find somewhere comfortable to sit down, and relax there, without moving. After a little while of being stationary, you start to kinda feel you've faded into the background. Once that happens, try to concentrate on what different parts of your body feel, like your toes, or your fingers, or a part of your back etc.
Don't try to move anything, just concetrate on what sensation that part of your body is feeling. And try to focus on random unrelated spots.
If you practice doing it alot, its a good way of learning to focus as well as becoming more aware of your own body,

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

If there is no formal meditation in the beginning of class, perhaps you could arrive a few minutes early, find a spot in the training area and do some light stretching. This will not only help prep you for the workout ahead, but it'll also give you some time to clear your mind from the days events and focus on the workout.

Mike

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.. :)

tshadowchaser -yes I think I try too hard. yep definetly.

Carol Kaur - thank you for your kind words. Yes, in fact I have found that a good physical workout clears my mind...I should try that more often.

ShotgunBuddha - I think Ill try this too. Excellent!

MJS- I dont seem to have a problem focusing in class, in fact I focus pretty well when I am in the training hall. What I meant was, while Im training by myself at home and I try to do the form, my mind continually wanders. Ill be halfway through the form and find myself thinking random thoughts, no real focus. I usually get frustrated at this and it makes me want to stop until I get better focus.

Perhaps I am just not patient enough? I guess I am pretty impatient. lol, Wheres Yoda when I need him!?

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do Tai Chi, which is very internal. Relaxing and focusing is basics in my Art. Emptying your mind from any external thought is not easy and I found out that during class for me it is impossible.
Class destroys my mental relaxation, but when I practice at home I can definatly relax much more. Why? Because I am alone.
Not everyone reaches relax and focus in the same times and during my class when everyone starts the form I am not ready yet. Instead at home I can take my time before starting the form and actually start when I am ready, even tho it might mean standing still for 1 or 2 minutes...when I am alone there is no time!
Another thing is the fact of having to follow the class and try to keep the same pace and that distact you a lot. While when you are alone there is only you and your form.

I learnt not to worry to much about focus and mental relaxation during class, but just execute the form relaxing my body the more I can. I "concentrate" (wrong word, but couldn't find a better one) on relaxing when I practice alone at home.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I you are taliking forms. Then find a spot on a wall or such to focus on as you perform your moves. Helps to build Your focus some better. And as you turn find another focus point. As you train you will bring inline your training routine.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I you are taliking forms. Then find a spot on a wall or such to focus on as you perform your moves. Helps to build Your focus some better. And as you turn find another focus point. As you train you will bring inline your training routine.

Yea I forgot about that hee hee. Our teacher wants us to keep our eyes always on the main hand (basically the one striking) and keep following it. This in Tai Chi have the main purpose to help reminding you to move the body and not the hand, but it helps with focus too.
The wall works too, but depends on the MA...we move too much to focus on the wall.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.. :)

MJS- I dont seem to have a problem focusing in class, in fact I focus pretty well when I am in the training hall. What I meant was, while Im training by myself at home and I try to do the form, my mind continually wanders. Ill be halfway through the form and find myself thinking random thoughts, no real focus. I usually get frustrated at this and it makes me want to stop until I get better focus.

Sorry about that. I wasn't sure from your initial post. Thanks for the clarification. :) Even if you're home, you can still take a minute and do some meditation or whatever you need to, to focus and prep yourself for your workout. :)

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are no shortcuts for focus. Focus simply takes time to develop. Think of the attention span of a young child versus an adult. There are no tricks, it takes time to attain focus.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heres something I do, partly for kicks and giggles, and partly for the strength building. Practice drills in front of the t.v. while a show you like is on. Change the technique during commercials, and hold the final postion during the show it self. After a little while of doing this, regularly, the drill will as second nature. And it will generate an amazing amout of force. By doing it in front of the t.v. you don't have to focus on the drill. If you do, it will be much harder.

Daenriel

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I have studied and taught meditation most of my adult life and focus was a problem for me for a long time. I found that as soon as I stopped to meditate or relax my mind would go haywire and all this information would run through my head.

I suggest at first develop your focus at home by spending some time meditating (a few minutes at a time is okay) this will automatically translate to other areas of life whether it is work or training.

Give your mind something to concentrate on, an image, a spot on the wall I concentrate on my breathing. Each time you become aware of other thoughts taking over gently bring your mind back to your image etc. After a while it will happen less and less and you will find focusing is second nature. It is a matter of training the mind to assist us.

Sometime it helps also to have a routine to go through this provides the mind with triggers for it to decide what actions/patterns it will run. I believe this is one of the reasons we bow when entering the Dojo or the training area, to give our mind the message that we are going to do some training now so put all else aside.

Any way hope this gives some ideas and I know you will do well.

Daenriel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you're practicing your form on your own -- are you picturing an opponent? Even if it's a "simple" punching form (practicing the punches from your system in sequence), you should be visualizing a target with each repitition. When you're doing a more advanced form, you should be picturing the opponent's attack, then responding to it. I've found that many people practice their forms without that visualization. Not only will it improve your form (more than you might believe!), it'll probably help with your focus.

Latest Discussions