Focus Pad and Bag Work

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you include bag work into your class room training or your own personal training? Working kicks on a bag is good due to the fact that it gives you something to hit as well as giving you the chance to work on power shots, proper footwork and movement.

Focus pad drills not only provide a moving target to hit, but also helps to work on proper hand formation and position, power, and footwork to name a few things. Of course, having someone who knows how to properly feed the targets is also a plus.

Anyone else include this work in their training?

Mike

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
We use bag training a lot in our school. They are usually not moving targets, but we will do drills. Sometimes these drills are included in endurance training drills. We also use those pads that you can hold, both the single hand and the larger double handheld ones. I believe that this type of training increases not only endurance, but skill of technique. Repetition help raise your abilites with any movement, as you practice it more and more you can gain insight into better ways to perform the technique.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've recently returned to bag/pad work at class. Personally, I think it's good work and has always helped me. I use a heavy bag at home.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
trueaspirer said:
We use bag training a lot in our school. They are usually not moving targets, but we will do drills. Sometimes these drills are included in endurance training drills. We also use those pads that you can hold, both the single hand and the larger double handheld ones. I believe that this type of training increases not only endurance, but skill of technique. Repetition help raise your abilites with any movement, as you practice it more and more you can gain insight into better ways to perform the technique.

I agree 100% with the endurance factor! Doing this on a regular basis will certainly add alot in the cardio area! I enjoy doing these drills during class, eventhough I'm pretty wiped by the time we're done.:)

Mike

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use a makiwara and focus mits...

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We use long rectangular pads (we call them tombstones.. *grin*) for kicking and punching drills and Thai pads for our kneeing drills. We also use standing heavy bags for stick drills so you can get used to blasting a heavy surface with power (it turns out to be a huge difference in terms of conditioning your hand and arm strength).

From my own experience training with pads is essential. It builds endurance and balance and it provides a wonderful aerobic challenge. Practicing in the air is great for forms and speed development but it does not reinforce the realities of hitting an unyielding target. you have to learn to compensate for reactive force and movement in your opponent as well as understand the importance of joint position when you strike. All these you can practice in the air but your body REALLY leans it when you apply it to real resistance.

Rob

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
How many of you include bag work into your class room training or your own personal training? Working kicks on a bag is good due to the fact that it gives you something to hit as well as giving you the chance to work on power shots, proper footwork and movement.

Focus pad drills not only provide a moving target to hit, but also helps to work on proper hand formation and position, power, and footwork to name a few things. Of course, having someone who knows how to properly feed the targets is also a plus.

Anyone else include this work in their training?

Mike

I emphasize the pad work in my class. I tend to teach the intermediate / advanced folks, and I just cant stand the thought of a brown belt who hasn't hit things. Pad work provides important feedback as to how your structure and alignment are doing. I think of a glass hammer. Someone who has learned enough to develop power in what they are doing, but hasn't developed the weapon itself. They've achieved enough power to really hurt themselves.

Matt

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We did light boxing drills -then went to 10 sets of kicknig drills-then a mix of the 2.1 of the kicking drills is while the kicker did a front snap kick!
the holder moved back 1 step-forcing the kicker to advance.This also had a reverse as well.1st we did 1 kick -1 step forward for advance stepping & kick.
Soon the holder added a double step & we had to either burst-sudden step-step & slide-slide & step-jump & step ect.It is a good drill to enhance distance-timing-verations of kicking-& ablility to react to
motion or live attacks that may retreat or advance.

SGT_GRUNT_USMC

White Belt
Reaction score
We do lots and lots of work in class striking focus mitts,Thai pads,kicking shields,and heavy bags.There is also stick work (Escrima) striking the heavy bags.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We work alot on heavy bag kicks and endurance drills, as well as using the full body shield for kicking. I like to use focus mitts and hand targets for multiple hits, focus (duh!) and speed. I have began incorperating boxing-like footwork with the mitts, too.

There is a plethora of drills you can do with just a few simple materials.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
trueaspirer said:

Our class uses bag training very much as described by trueaspirer above. I think it is very helpful to get the bags out.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bag work is good for learning kicks and hand techs. I would rather have a student kicking the bag to learn than to have them kicking me all the time

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We train with the heavy bag (but it has to be done properly - just hitting it isn't necessarily the object) - but we heavily emphasize daily practice with the old-fashioned striking post - known as a makiwara in Japanese/Okinawan systems.

Latest Discussions