Flying Crane

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that Michael Schaefer, known as Flying Crane received his shodan in kenpo roughly 18 years ago. He recently began training after a 17 year absence with Ted Sumner in San Jose, CA, driving 100 miles roundtrip 2-3 times each week to train.

This past Saturday, by his own choice, he underwent a grueling 5-hour shodan test, and has now been awarded a shodan in Tracy's Kenpo from 9th dan Ted Sumner at the San Jose Kenpo dojo.

Congratulations, Michael, to you, your compatriots, and your teacher. Well done.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still recovering...body feels heavy... muscles are sore...fun times...beer and pizza afterwards...shuffled around all day...can't move too fast at the moment...

I've learned a tremendous amount in the close to two years in which my wife and I have been training with Ted. One of the biggest things that has become even more clear to me (i already had an incling of it) was how much I don't understand yet. I am very much looking forward to the next leg of the journey, and am very happy with my decision to return to my martial roots in Tracy Kenpo. I've found an excellent teacher, and have some wonderful classmates, all of whose friendships have become tremendously important to me.

Thanks Dave, and everyone else for noticing.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To empty your cup and start over again in a world where everyone's chasing high rank and multiple ranks is so highly commendable and refreshing.
You have earned the respect of so many of us around you, and set an example for many to follow. Well done indeed.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is so outstanding... it's the true living spirit of the MAs, IMO. Well done, Michael.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way to go Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You deserve it after all your hard work.

Did you sleep with your belt on? :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still recovering...body feels heavy... Muscles are sore...fun times...beer and pizza afterwards...shuffled around all day...can't move too fast at the moment...

I've learned a tremendous amount in the close to two years in which my wife and i have been training with ted. One of the biggest things that has become even more clear to me (i already had an incling of it) was how much i don't understand yet. I am very much looking forward to the next leg of the journey, and am very happy with my decision to return to my martial roots in tracy kenpo. I've found an excellent teacher, and have some wonderful classmates, all of whose friendships have become tremendously important to me.

Thanks dave, and everyone else for noticing.

congratulations!!!!

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations Michael.

I think that you have already contributed much to the Tracy system of kenpo through your intelligent thoughts on these forums.

Now, I know that, as a student of Dr Sumner, you are equally physically proficient in our system.

Jim

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't beat the comments of others so I'll simply say Congratulations, FC!

:partyon:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Congrats Mike!!! :ultracool

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That took a lot of gumption, and just as others have done, I commend and congratulate you, Michael. I'm beginning to see why your posts are always so insightful. :asian:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that Michael Schaefer, known as Flying Crane received his shodan in kenpo roughly 18 years ago. He recently began training after a 17 year absence with Ted Sumner in San Jose, CA, driving 100 miles roundtrip 2-3 times each week to train.

This past Saturday, by his own choice, he underwent a grueling 5-hour shodan test, and has now been awarded a shodan in Tracy's Kenpo from 9th dan Ted Sumner at the San Jose Kenpo dojo.

Congratulations, Michael, to you, your compatriots, and your teacher. Well done.
that is very cool. congrats

B

Latest Discussions