Flexibility for kicking

neonadobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently started kickboxing but I am having trouble doing high kicks. I can do a body kick but I have trouble when going higher. My instructor told me to just kick and I do stretching exercises. I am just a little worried that it might be too late because I started kicking a bit old. I am 27 already. Can I get more flexibility? Any tips will be much appreciated. Thank you friends!

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would reccommend finding a fence or gate like this and stretching your leg to the highest section you can while keeping your back straight. You can also stand with your legs far apart and get as low to the ground as you can while keeping your balance and keeping your back straight (not necessarily doing the splits)

This should not only help you with flexibility but it will help you develop speed as well. Good luck! :)

OP
N

neonadobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would reccommend finding a fence or gate like this and stretching your leg to the highest section you can while keeping your back straight. You can also stand with your legs far apart and get as low to the ground as you can while keeping your balance and keeping your back straight (not necessarily doing the splits)

This should not only help you with flexibility but it will help you develop speed as well. Good luck! :)

Thank you so much! I will do what you suggested.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't kick any higher than the balls or floating ribs :)

I think it's always a good idea to be as flexible as you can when you practice martial arts though, you never know what situation you might end up in.

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it's always a good idea to be as flexible as you can when you practice martial arts though, you never know what situation you might end up in.

Absolutely!......I stretch and practice breathing techniques religously, even more than I did when I was in my 20's and early 30's. I do a lot of crazy stuff with Systema that I never dreamed of doing 10-15 years ago.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Your 27..... I have leather jackets older than you..... I was 27...once...working on the 2nd......much close to the second time than the first actually.......and I am working at regaining flexibility after a long drawn out injury and it is coming back.... slowly.

Yes you can become more flexible

Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts by Sang H. Kim

Just take it slow, don't over do it and injure yourself

jrrrr

White Belt
Reaction score
1 Do overall body stretching and not just legs. kicking power uses core, so you want to stretch out core/back muscles as well.
2 Strengthen core muscle groups, hip abductors, internal/external obliques, etc. I've been going to my friends pilates class for the last few months and I can see/feel the difference. Try using some TRX bands, etc.
3 Train kicks slowly. Can you do a front/side/round kick at "tai chi" speed. Push out the focus of the kick so your mind and body start getting the connection of how it works. Believe it or not, this will teach you control and enable you to have more opwerful and accurate kicks.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
doing static flexibility exercises, for example, touching your chest to your leg will contribute to overall flexibility, but not necessarily kicking flexibility.
The best way to gain this type of flexibility is with dynamic stretching exercises.

first exercise: swing straight leg to the front as high as you can. Hold your outstretched arms out in front for a target.

second exercise : swing your leg out to the side stretching the inner thigh, again having your outstretched arm held out for a target.

third exercise : looking over your right shoulder swing your right leg to the rear as high as you can, torso will be inclined forward on this stretch. (And then repeat for left side)

IMPORTANT: warm up before doing these stretches. Many people think of stretching as warming up, it's not. Run in place, do a stationary bike,
jump rope, whatever to get a light sweat going and heart pumping a little, then perform these stretches. I do 3 sets of 10 of each stretch. Also don't try to go too far too fast. You may throw something out you'll want later. So progress slowly.

Then after your workout do the old fashioned static stretching as your cool down.

Another tip. When kicking, practice slowly to bring more muscle memory into the kick instead of just relying on momentum.

OP
N

neonadobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your 27..... I have leather jackets older than you..... I was 27...once...working on the 2nd......much close to the second time than the first actually.......and I am working at regaining flexibility after a long drawn out injury and it is coming back.... slowly.

Yes you can become more flexible

Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts by Sang H. Kim

Just take it slow, don't over do it and injure yourself

Thank you so much for the tips!

OP
N

neonadobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1 Do overall body stretching and not just legs. kicking power uses core, so you want to stretch out core/back muscles as well.
2 Strengthen core muscle groups, hip abductors, internal/external obliques, etc. I've been going to my friends pilates class for the last few months and I can see/feel the difference. Try using some TRX bands, etc.
3 Train kicks slowly. Can you do a front/side/round kick at "tai chi" speed. Push out the focus of the kick so your mind and body start getting the connection of how it works. Believe it or not, this will teach you control and enable you to have more opwerful and accurate kicks.

Thank you for the tips. Yes I can actually do it at Tai chi speed. I will try what you suggested. I always heard that TRX bands are good. I just triedthe Rushfit program recently. Works wonders as well.

OP
N

neonadobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
doing static flexibility exercises, for example, touching your chest to your leg will contribute to overall flexibility, but not necessarily kicking flexibility.
The best way to gain this type of flexibility is with dynamic stretching exercises.

first exercise: swing straight leg to the front as high as you can. Hold your outstretched arms out in front for a target.

second exercise : swing your leg out to the side stretching the inner thigh, again having your outstretched arm held out for a target.

third exercise : looking over your right shoulder swing your right leg to the rear as high as you can, torso will be inclined forward on this stretch. (And then repeat for left side)

IMPORTANT: warm up before doing these stretches. Many people think of stretching as warming up, it's not. Run in place, do a stationary bike,
jump rope, whatever to get a light sweat going and heart pumping a little, then perform these stretches. I do 3 sets of 10 of each stretch. Also don't try to go too far too fast. You may throw something out you'll want later. So progress slowly.

Then after your workout do the old fashioned static stretching as your cool down.

Another tip. When kicking, practice slowly to bring more muscle memory into the kick instead of just relying on momentum.

Thank you so much! it is always good to hear from people who know what they are doing. Thank you