Flai Energy

hpclub1000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you strike and use energy like a flail.

Its hard for my to describe this so I will try and describe it for the turning punch only. Do you turn your stance and then transfer all that energythrough your totally relaxed arm so that the whirlpool energy almost turns your fist into a flail?

Im particulary interested in whether you complete your turn and then punch or finish the punch as you finish turning. The timing of this is the key.

Does this make sense?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
All movements in Wing Chun should be performed in a relaxed manner , any tension in the arms and legs will act as a conduit for the recoil force to travel back into the body and effect the stance when it should be all going into the opponent.

The timing of the pivot and punch is as taught in the Chum Kiu form , the start of the arm movement and stance pivot should be synchronised to occur simultaneously.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are lengthening and shortening your arm to achieve this (ie going long and "pulling in" with the bicep) to round your punch that's not really ideal. If trained that way against a heavy bag, over time it will do lasting damage to the muscle.

In WC we set up a good structure with the arm and turn our body for power in our round punches. So the arm doesn't change, just the body, the punch ends when the body movement stops.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the op was talking more along the lines of balistic striking like is found in systema. No wc does not strike like that. Yes we are relaxed but the application of the punch is worlds apart from the method I think you are trying to describe. It is an effective strike it just doesn't work with the structure of wc.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the op was talking more along the lines of balistic striking like is found in systema. No wc does not strike like that. Yes we are relaxed but the application of the punch is worlds apart from the method I think you are trying to describe. It is an effective strike it just doesn't work with the structure of wc.

I would agree with you, at least to the degree that I think I understand the OP, although in truth, there are a lot of movements in WC that do work very much like a flail.... if you think of how a flail, such as a nunchaku or other whip-like flexible weapon actually works. Consider the whipping action of a lateral fak-sau, especially when launched with body-torque as in Chum Kiu or Biu Tze, to a horizontal strike with a nunchaku and you'll see what I mean. But flailing action in a linear WC punch? I just don't see it.

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Consider the whipping action of a lateral fak-sau, especially when launched with body-torque as in Chum Kiu or Biu Tze, to a horizontal strike with a nunchaku and you'll see what I mean. But flailing action in a linear WC punch? I just don't see it.
Thats true you do see some forms of a flailing action in various parts of the wing chun system but as far as the straight blast goes it wouldnt fit with the wc system's approach to use a flailing motion. Then its basically starting to move away from short power.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have strikes that may look like flailing. My double hook for example. But technically it has more of a circlular motion. They are very structured and usually when blocked will destroy my opponents structure. When thrown body is bladed as it whips body squares back up. Just like bong sao after the hook lands elbow drops and I transition into straight punch. I use it alot with great results. Like I said even if blocked it will jar the guy pulling him of balance into my second hook or straight punch/ neck grab etc.

Jake

Last edited:

Latest Discussions