fixing my hip

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When i do kicks with my right leg. the top of my right hip bone seems to hurt. So I can't seem to kick very high. I can blast head height kicks with my left leg all day long. Is there anything I can do, or am I doing something wrong for it to hurt like that?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you been to a doctor or physical therapist? There's your best bet to get an accurate idea of what's going on there.

It might have something to do with that knee injury (especially if you had to adjust your normal gait to compesate for it).

Peace,
Erik

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have you been to a doctor or physical therapist? There's your best bet to get an accurate idea of what's going on there.

It might have something to do with that knee injury (especially if you had to adjust your normal gait to compesate for it).

Peace,
Erik

woot.. purple belt!

this has actually been an issue before the knee problem. I can do axe kicks, and front kicks, and crescent kicks and such just fine. But any sort of side or round kick is when it bothers me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could be a bone spur or a ligament problem. A DR. might be needed before you can be sure what it is

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have the same problem but it is with both legs. However, my left leg hurts more than my right due to a rugby injury I received back in the late 80's. Some guy tackled me from the left, his shoulder hit my hip and we both went down.

Have you had an injury to that part of your leg in the past?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doctor's visit!

only then can you tetermin whether you have to allow for some healing or adjust to the limitation.

I fenced several years in my teens, not too extensive, but it did put a strain on my right leg. To this day there are some things it just won't do - not as well as the left.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sylo I have the same problem. I am a left leg dominate kicker. Similar to you-when I side or round kick with my right leg, there is a noticable difference. In my twenties it was in both sides. It always felt like there was a catch and needed to pop. So I was messing with it (hip rotations) and a DEEP pop occured. It was typical of something hurting so bad- it felt so good. To this day I still pop my hips several times a day. It feels like a tendo is out of place and I can place my hand where it hurts and when it pops- I can actually feel it move back in place. Like stated, you might want to have it checked out. while writting this I have popped both hips. I have looked on anatomy charts trying to figure out. I beleive it one of the hamstring attatchments. Good luck and be cautious.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sylo I have the same problem. I am a left leg dominate kicker. Similar to you-when I side or round kick with my right leg, there is a noticable difference. In my twenties it was in both sides. It always felt like there was a catch and needed to pop. So I was messing with it (hip rotations) and a DEEP pop occured. It was typical of something hurting so bad- it felt so good. To this day I still pop my hips several times a day. It feels like a tendo is out of place and I can place my hand where it hurts and when it pops- I can actually feel it move back in place. Like stated, you might want to have it checked out. while writting this I have popped both hips. I have looked on anatomy charts trying to figure out. I beleive it one of the hamstring attatchments. Good luck and be cautious.

This exact same thing happened to me several years back. I was doing sidekicks in class, and at the time, I was not able to kick above my waist. While doing the kicks, I heard the same loud pop you are talking about from both of my legs, and I couldn't continue kicking. A day later, I was able to kick above my head.

Every now and then my hips will start to ache, and I'll have to pop them, just as you're saying. It's not a bad ache, more of an annoyance, and popping both of my hips seems to resolve the ache.

I've always wondered what that was...I've never remembered to ask a doctor or anything whenever I've gone, and I can't afford to go to find out now. I'm thinking that's probably what's going to end up happening to Sylo, though.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This exact same thing happened to me several years back. I was doing sidekicks in class, and at the time, I was not able to kick above my waist. While doing the kicks, I heard the same loud pop you are talking about from both of my legs, and I couldn't continue kicking. A day later, I was able to kick above my head.

Every now and then my hips will start to ache, and I'll have to pop them, just as you're saying. It's not a bad ache, more of an annoyance, and popping both of my hips seems to resolve the ache.

I've always wondered what that was...I've never remembered to ask a doctor or anything whenever I've gone, and I can't afford to go to find out now. I'm thinking that's probably what's going to end up happening to Sylo, though.

Shew...I am glad to hear I am not the only one. When they pop...High kicks!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shew...I am glad to hear I am not the only one. When they pop...High kicks!

Yeah, same here! Everyone in my family thinks I'm a mutant or something.

If you ever find out what that is, let me know, and I'll do the same.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sylo,

Let me tell you about some trials.

My left leg has a) broken little toe from Judo, b)arthritis in the big toe (bunion), c) they found a tumor in the lower leg and removed it... along with the fibula bone, d) pin though that leg to keep the ligaments tied to, e) hyperextention of the knee from way to much kicking with shoes on (there is a lesson there... use light weight karate shoes and not street running shoes as they are to heavy if you kick hard and fast.)

Add to that my right leg is now recovering from stretched ligaments (but healing nicely.)

So I had to alter my tactics and techniques. I used to be a right legged kicker. I'm now a left legged kicker with roundhouse, spinning heal, and hook kick cause I can't do them with my right leg. Can't torque on the left leg to do those kicks with my right. My right is still the power kicking leg, but no high kicks (yet!!!!) But they are now chest level!!

So I have spent a very large amout of time getting my hands to be very fast and, uh, complex. I even weight lift simulated blocks and punchs to get them stronger and faster. For a TKD man, well I've been in dojos and they just don't know what do to, never seen a person block and punch so fast.

And footwork. I do lots of practice with shuffles, slides, skips, dodging, and moving at very odd angles (though the likes of Fred Astaire have noting to worry about.)

Now about YOUR legs. Stretch alot!!! Here is how I do it. This is a form of active stretching.

Find an exercise bicycle with an adjustable saddle. Make sure the bike is heavy and very stable. And make sure the saddle is padded and soft.

Do a front kick and rest your leg on the saddle. Lean forward as much as you can. Stretch!! Then rotate to a side kick, putting the knee on the saddle. Hold on to the bike's handlebars while doing this. Stretch! Swap legs and do it over.

Now jack up the saddle one notch and repeat. Do this at least twice a week but not much more.

You can also do PNF stretching that way.

And if you can get a stretching machine, get one and do that to before or after you do the bicycle routine.

And hey, I just got a stretching machine. I intend on having all my high kicks again... at age 53!

Deaf