Interesting article about the Kukkiwon

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well the only real question is the $120 fee. And what was the fee for the KTA? Makes you wonder what the Kukkiwon does with the money.

As for the tax, ok, 7 percent of 120... 8 bucks and 40 cents.

Deaf

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
$120 for first dan. With our do-jangs testing fees it would be cheaper for me to fly to Korea to take the test.

I see the fees going up to cover the costs of the back taxes.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
$120 for first dan. With our do-jangs testing fees it would be cheaper for me to fly to Korea to take the test.

I see the fees going up to cover the costs of the back taxes.
My test was considerably more than 120 dollars, though the money I'd lose from not working coupled with the air fare and accomodations involved ingoing to Korea to test would still outweigh what paid by a substantial amount.

Daniel

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See this is where the problem lays within certain circle's, testing fee's are cheap $70.00 US dollars for a first so why are the GM and Master hre charging in the thousand of dollars for them. Talk about after market price change.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They charge it because people are prepared to pay it. I have already decided that if I can get back into TKD I will not get a black belt at my current do-jang because $500-$800 is more than I am prepared to pay for the testing. It was $150 for a black belt test when I started. If I can get back into TKD I will continue to go to this do-jang but when my contract is up for renewal I will consider my options and probably end up somewhere else.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mine was not in the thousands, or even close, but it was well more than 120. Now, to be fair, I got the fancy stitching of my name in Korean on the belt and a top shelf uniform too.

Daniel

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first dan test was $100 back in 1970 so figure that against what is being asked today

According to the internal Kukiwon report, the IRS will investigate for the reasons, "Under the National Tax Law, Kukiwon prevents 'value-added tax' for the purpose of being a nonprofit organization, but the revenue it benefits from the testing fees and other fees received from applicants categorize the organization as a Profit Business", the Korean IRS said.
This could cause some major changes within the organisation inthe future

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
My teacher told me everytime you deal with the kukiwon for promotions, the money goes into the pocket of whomever you deal with through there.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My teacher told me everytime you deal with the kukiwon for promotions, the money goes into the pocket of whomever you deal with through there.
Very sad.

My immediate concern is that members' certifications and gradings are recorded properly and that certs and cards are issued when the paperwork and fees are turned in; dealing above board with the membership is the most important.

In the big picture, even if the members are dealt with above board and honorably, if the internals are corrupt, eventually, the structure will collapse under its own weight, which will leave the members out in the cold.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Very sad.

My immediate concern is that members' certifications and gradings are recorded properly and that certs and cards are issued when the paperwork and fees are turned in; dealing above board with the membership is the most important.

In the big picture, even if the members are dealt with above board and honorably, if the internals are corrupt, eventually, the structure will collapse under its own weight, which will leave the members out in the cold.

Daniel

This is my worry as well, even if I'm not a member of KKW TKD....this has the strong possiblity of reflecting on TKD as a whole.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is my worry as well, even if I'm not a member of KKW TKD....this has the strong possiblity of reflecting on TKD as a whole.
Probably more within the MA community, and then mostly in the TKD community, as other practitioners of other MA's don't always follow the organizational shifts and events of martial arts that they don't practice (I certainly don't keep up with any non-TKD, kendo or kumdo federations).

I doubt that the general public will notice or even care. I can just see some of those McDojos using it as an opportunity to go 'independent' and issue their own blackbelts. Hey, then they can keep the testing fees at their current levels and not pay the KKW, thus increasing their own profits. The suburbanite moms and dads will be none the wiser.

Of course we'd be talking about it here.:D

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably more within the MA community, and then mostly in the TKD community, as other practitioners of other MA's don't always follow the organizational shifts and events of martial arts that they don't practice (I certainly don't keep up with any non-TKD, kendo or kumdo federations).

I doubt that the general public will notice or even care. I can just see some of those McDojos using it as an opportunity to go 'independent' and issue their own blackbelts. Hey, then they can keep the testing fees at their current levels and not pay the KKW, thus increasing their own profits. The suburbanite moms and dads will be none the wiser.

Of course we'd be talking about it here.:D

Daniel

Yeah, even if we're the only ones talking about it on here, and the general public doesn't know or care, it still sucks.

But, I guess we're one step closer to purging the system of all the corruption that we were talking about before. I guess it comes under the heading of "It's always darkest before the dawn."

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty much, as long as little Johnny or little Suzy gets their blackbelt, mom and dad really don't care. To be fair, they're so ill informed that they don't even know that they should care or why.

Regarding darkest before the dawn, things could potentially get a lot darker than they are now. Hope they don't though.

Daniel

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well as I was speaking to a GM yeasterday he is now saying that the Kukkiwon will fold under the pressure and it looks like the WTF will go back and issue rank and cross rank people again. The thing was in another thread someone mention they was coming over here and getting people ther certificates fromthe KKW well that turns out to be a mix up they was coming to get money to pay off the fines so they could stay open. What is the KKW paper worth now nothing nota zip.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like things are going to be a mess for a little while. Hopefully, someone can step in and make sense of things.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If the Kukkiwon folds, there is a good chance the Kwans will step up and begin issuing Dan certificates again. I could definitely see that if Taekwondo is removed from the Olympics and the WTF is politically weakened because of it.

Latest Discussions