Developing spinning hook kick

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes, a lot of times I end up spinning only 270 degrees. :) Or my leg is straight from about 170 until say 270, then I hook or bend my my lower leg, which gives me the rest of the spin. Spin hook kick is just the term I feel comfortable with. Others call it back spinning kick, back spinning hook kick, spinning whip kick, and I even hear wheel kick every once in a while. I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no standardization for this kick. Everyone has their own theory and everyone does it slightly different, with different drills, more so than any other kick.
In combat don't miss with only a 270 degree turn. You will not be facing your opponent and you are not in position to follow up or defend from a counter if you miss. 180 or 360 is what is needed, 90 or 270 is not good at all.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In combat don't miss with only a 270 degree turn. You will not be facing your opponent and you are not in position to follow up or defend from a counter if you miss.

That's not really true.... Try experimenting with it.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, the video calls it back spinning kick, but the OP referred to spinning hook kick, so I gues the OP will have to tell us how they define theri term.

What I'm learning as the spinning hook kick is a rear leg kick, and we're taught that correct execution will take you 360 degrees though landing short is okay if you can still move effectively out of the red zone.

What I'm taught:
Assuming you are standing right foot back, head and right shoulder turn clockwise (backward toward the front) followed by hip. The right leg extends until straight and to the left of the target as the hip continues to turn. The continuing hip turn causes the heel to whip to the right when the leg is fully extended. When timed right, the hip and whip seem to natually bring the right foot 360 degrees back to the starting point.

I've also heard it referred to as spin whip kick. This is a different animal from spin back kick with it's linear force and spin wheel kick which is slower and (to me) seldom seen anymore.

Thanks for all the tips. Slowing down and getting the pieces right before putting it together. We're working the spin kicks a lot at practice and it came together much better for me last night. By the end of the evening we were chaining spin hook/round/spin hook/round/tornado/spin hook on paddles. Made the room spin a little but lots of fun.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad that it is coming along.

Really no need to add the word spin to describe a back kick (dwi chagi). It is just a back kick as you are not really spinning at all. You are simply turning 180 to kick in front of you with the back leg backwards. I know many call it a spinnnig back kick but where is the spin if you think about it. Symantecs I guess.

Those drills you talk about are really fun but dizzying indeed.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really no need to add the word spin to describe a back kick (dwi chagi). It is just a back kick as you are not really spinning at all. You are simply turning 180 to kick in front of you with the back leg backwards. I know many call it a spinnnig back kick but where is the spin if you think about it. Symantecs I guess.

I purposely don't call it spinning back kick (and certainly not spinning side kick) because I don't want the students to get the idea in their head that they have to "spin". Like you said, it is simply a turn of your shoulder and hips, not a spin. I don't believe in spinning side kick and don't teach or practice it that way. Don't teach or practice spinning crescent kick either.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering, the demonstrator in the video is Master Shin Chul Kang. He makes a cameo in the series "Human Weapon" when the hosts go to Korea to learn about TKD. Check it out below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPeYq5yi-Fk&feature=related
Yes he is the same guy that does the Revolution of Kicking videos. The clip I posted up above is from that series.

He is a very famous master. He is also known for his flexibility and stretching routines. See below.
[yt]nwtM7ZArGxU[/yt]

IrfanWanata

White Belt
Reaction score
Carl,
I am working on it myself - I'm 3rd gup. I find that the best practice is relatively short, but often. I find that if I do it to many times, it can sometimes just get uglier...and I get dizzy! My theory is your body can lock in some bad habits in one session, which you would ingrain by doing it 200 times. By taking a break, you force your body the next time to readjust and get the coordination again; in a way it's trying the kick a little differently perhaps and falling into the best way.

Other than that comment on length of training, I find it helpful to work the hook kick without the spin. After your hook kick feels good, try a slow spin first and do the hook kick again...then speed up the spin.

Agree.

I was able to do spin hook kick when I tried to do back kick, but higher (my target was opponent's head). Accidentally, I just spin 360 degrees, instead of 180, and bang, i just did it. I was 5th Geup.

Now I'm working on making it better and smoother. Also you should try do it while jumping, it's faster and stronger.

Latest Discussions