Five years Later, The State of Modern Arnis...

Buwaya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rich,

Can you say something about GM Mena's background in silat? I knew Tatay Joe, and I'm aware of his background in the moroland, but its not untill after his death I see people writing about a background in silat.

Thanks

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Buwaya,

GM Mena never showed me any empty hand, Silat or otherwise. This is something that I heard many years prior to his passing, but I don't think that he openly taught Silat to anyone, at least that I know of.

I'll ask around and PM you when I find more information.

-Rich

Buwaya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kruzada said:
Buwaya,

GM Mena never showed me any empty hand, Silat or otherwise. This is something that I heard many years prior to his passing, but I don't think that he openly taught Silat to anyone, at least that I know of.

I'll ask around and PM you when I find more information.

-Rich
Rich, I'm sending you a PM. Its actually not that private, but this is a MA thread.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hi Fred,
In my opinion it has already happened. Even Prof. Presas wasn't "pure" Filipino Modern Arnis. He had influences from Small Circle JuJutsu and Ryukyu Kenpo in the latter years. As he had no formal curriculum laid out in the USA, much of the Modern Arnis here in the US is "American Modern Arnis." I it the continuing evolution of the art.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

That's a very good point... I think I was forgoing the fact that it was laready brought here to the US by Professor himself and thinking of the further evolution by people other than him. I guess that here it would be TRUE American Modern Arnis till the next set of evolution.

Latest Discussions