Fitness - ACK....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Day three of working out.
Not too bad, I think I am in not as bad a shape as I thought I was - even though the lady ranger ran me into the ground on a relatively flat and short stretch of trail....

now, while my eating habits are not completely reformed, I am limiting coffee to one cup in the morning. Considering that that is my comfort food, it's huge.
I do not drink iced tea, sodas, hardly any juice, the remaining vices are 1 or 2 beers, a glass of wine or two (small glasses...). I drink much more water than I used to, stopping by the sink for a large glass many times a day.

problem:
I hardly sweat working out. Never really did.
I sweat more doing laundry, but then again, in the middle of that, the laundry room id well past 90 degrees and rather sweltering....
I spend 5 minutes today on the elyptical, 10 on the stationary bike, I got a bit damp. Not to mention I had to really crank it to get my pulse up past 130...although I am wondering if the machines are not calibrated right...on day one I was right up there no time flat...you don't gain fitness that quick!

Do I just concede I don't sweat much? Topping off the session with a stint in the sauna?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long your fitness session is lasting. If it is just the 5 minutes on the elliptical and 10 on the bike, I wouldn't be sweating either. It generally takes closer to 30 minutes for me to get a decent sweat up. If I do a long stint on a bike, say 20 minutes, my pulse stays about 135 unless I really try to crank it on. If I get it over 160 I find I'm no longer working efficiently. So rough rule of thumb ... 220 less your age is maximal, 90% of that figure is a heavy work out, and 80% is a good level to maintain. A better guide is shown on the following website.

http://www.calculatenow.biz/sport/heart.php

So, me being a gentleman and not asking a lady's age, I will assume, like most, that you are 29. ;)

That gives you a maximal heart rate of about 190 and to get a decent work out you need to get your heart rate up to around 150. At that rate I reckon you will be no longer in need of the sauna. :asian:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats on cutting out soda, etc and drinking more water - that's a great step.

Some people do sweat more easily than others. I don't tend to sweat much, but I do get really flushed. But 5 minutes on the elliptical and 10 on a stationary bike isn't going to be enough to get you sweaty anyway. Try working up to 30 minutes on at least one of them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically, stop worrying about how much you sweat. It has nothing whatsoever to do with improving your fitness level.
I sweat. I sweat just walking around class teaching. Sue and I can go through the same workout and at the end of it she might be a little damp on the back of her neck under her (long and lovely) hair. I'll wring out my dobak.
Sweating a lot means you have to drink more water than a non-sweater to remain hydrated. And people won't want to hug you after class. That's pretty much it.

As far as your pulse goes... check it yourself. You'll be more accurate than the machines.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, since I am not a lady, I can tell you my age 45 next monday :D

But I guess I never did sweat much...takes me three trips to the sauna as I remember...(and that was a nice sauna, with rest are, etc...not just an overheated closet...)

Well, we just started out on the fitness, 10 minutes on the cardio to warm up.
Then weights to dry off :rolleyes: that gym is so cold....I think I am going to wear long sleeves to work out in...

Week two, sort of, going by calendar.

BTW, seem - unless I am running myself off my heels, 130-140 is about what I average on the machines....
I might invest in a wrist band style heart rate monitor soon tho, just to cross check.

(but GAWD, I am so weak...and stiff...La Dolce Vita really sucks...)

Latest Discussions